SG Z review by Gibson

Gibson: SG Z

I play alot of music, everything from jazz to metal to hardcore, and I play through a Peavey 212, this guitar, when you arent playing, it's not noisey, and when your playing, (out of the bridge) you get an amazingly full sound. (Depending on your amp settings) you can get amazing highs, or amazing lows. The really unique thing about it, is that you can put the toggle Switch in the middle, and get the sound of the Single Coil and the 500T, this sound is truly unique and is never found in any other guitar. The body is amazingly light, yet gives awesome sustain with lots of gain, however, when the neck pickup is on by itself, it doesn't have nearly as high of an output as the 500T, but if you turn up the vol and use that pickup all the time (jazz) its sound is wow.

This guitar seems to be the long lost cousin of the Gibson SG 90, which also has split diamond inlays, a similar pickguard, if not the same and also same style of knob configuration. The SG-Z was made for the 98 production year and thats it. I do not think I will ever sell this guitar because it is a collector's item and it also sounds great and plays great as well. I have only seen two of these on Ebay since I bought mine a year and a half ago. I was very lucky to get one and for relatively cheap. I think my favourite feature is the neck, it plays and feels smooth.

The guitar was made solid, and is very dependable, but I ran into one problem. The finish is really thin! The slightest knock could chip it, so beee carefull!

Everything on this guitar came perfect, low (but not to low) action, the pickups were fine, (but I moved them both up for "my sound") awesomely done.

The Gibson SG Z is your american made guitar, it was made limited edition in 1997, and its really hard to get a hold of now adays. It has 24 frets leading to a solid top. The body is mahogony (I believe) and it has a 3 way selector toggle Switch, 1 volume and one tone nob. It has a Gibson 496 (single coil) in the neck, and a Gibson 500T in the bridge. The finish is odd, it looks grey under some light and blue under some. Its SG style body has a String through body and a tune-o-matic bridge black hardware, grover tuners (keeps it well in tune, very precise), rosewood fretboard, that is slimmer than any other SG I have played, and its a bit less wide.

Ludynosa
    this guitar looks great! i would have to test it out myself before buying it tho, and theres no shop in my area that sells em.
    warrenguitar
    Nicest design I've seen in a while! Awesome scratch plate. Looks like a guitar made for the god of rock!
    Amuro Jay
    Don't like the tailpiece on the bridge, and the pickguard would look better if it was full size.
    livewire76
    JD Close wrote: um, it sais 2 humbuckers but it looks like 1 humbucker and a single
    God, i know! Ive just read another review and it said the guitar has 4(?!) pickups when in fact it was 2 humbuckers! I'm strating to wonder about the quality control on reviews.. i mean, 4 pickups when its 2 humbuckers and he'd only been in a band 5 years. Lies. Blatant lies. If it's a case of posting the wrong picture then i could understand but in both cases it wasn't. There, rant over. :p