Shred X review by Gibson

Gibson: Shred X

Price paid: A$ 1150

Purchased from: DWMusic

Due to the make of the guitar, this guitar does very well in a rock or metal style. It has a very dark tone due to the thick and heavy piece of mahogany. The selection of EMG pickups is very odd, as the 85 isn't normally put in the bridge, but it sounds quite heavy and different to the standard EMG configuration. I run this through a Peavey 6505 212 with a Boss GT10. If EMG's aren't your thing, a set of passive pickups would easily make this guitar more suitable to other styles, just be wary of the dark tones.

For what I play and do with it, it matches perfectly. The round neck seems funny when it comes to metal, but Gibson were onto something there. Been playing for 5 and a half years. The guitar fits in well with my 2 ESPs (Eclipse and Horizon), PRS SE Torero, Agile 8 string and LTD 7 string. If the guitar was lost or stolen, I probably wouldn't try to find another one as my style and interest has changed to extended range guitars. That being said, the guitar is still great and can cater to what I need when I need a dark, heavy 6 string. The only problem I have with the guitar is the Kahler. I've never really played one before and didn't know what to expect but it hasn't really impressed me too much. I haven't had it unlocked as I had trems so I can't comment on the whammy function. Be much better with a hard tail.

YouTube preview picture

Going from the previous owner, this guitar was gigged with heavily as mentioned before and it had held up for them. The tuners are great, especially with the lock ins and the Kahler is great as well. I had the strap buttons changed to locking as soon as I got the guitar so I can't comment on the originals. Realistically, I'd have this guitar as a backup for my ESP Eclipse II as it just doesn't personally feel as nice and comfortable as that. But you could probably go without a backup as the guitar is solid.

I can't complain about the finish of the guitar as I didn't receive it as a brand new item, but it seems to be very tough (person who had it before me gigged hard with it and has dings everywhere but no paint removed). It wasn't set up correctly when I got it as the previous owner had fiddled with the pickups, the Kahler bridge and the neck, but once it was set up properly, it was perfect. Only problem is, the nut is only set up for standard E tuning. Once you go below that, the strings start to buzz heavily, so an adjustment is needed if you plan to go below E.

This is the June model of the Guitar of the Month done in 2008. It comes with a 24 3/4 inch neck sporting 22 frets on it's dark ebony fretboard. Although hard to see, the ebony has black acrylic dot fret markers. The guitar is a one piece mahogany body in the shape of the Explorer painted in Gibson's well known ebony. The round neck is also made out of mahogany and features the ebony finish as well. If this guitar is already starting to sound dark it gets better with its black EMG 85s, black Kahler Tremelo system, black speed knobs, black toggle switch and black locking grover tuners. The guitar also comes with a HUGE custom Gibson Guitar of the Month case with amazing vanilla scent. It also comes with a cover but I'm missing it as it's second hand. Overall, the specs scream dark and it delivers.

tffan92
    How is it possible that Gibson thought it was a good idea to leave out the locking nuts?! That thing won't stay in tune for 5 seconds.
    Enix165
    85s in both positions and an all-mahogany setup? This'd better come with an amp with negative mid and bass settings, or treble and presence knobs that go to 20...*shudders* OH SO MUDDY.
    MadeNotBorn
    stopped watching after I read "Line 6 with built in insane distortion mode".... get a real amp before you drop over a grand on your guitar..
    Pyrocario
    Dude who did the video would have payed over $4000 for it if you cross check the date it was posted...
    grungelive72
    wow this thing looks so sick, but the average reviews it keeps getting just don't make the price justifiable. Plus, non me gusta los EMGs. IMO the only good guitars Gibson makes now are the traditional pro series guitars, and the standard explorer guitars.
    Matt_E_Man
    Whoa, Whoa, Whoa, my standard LP is fantastic. But to be honest, I did have to try like 7 other Les Pauls in order to choose it, but it's better than the PRS guitars at the store/s.
    grungelive72
    Again, I said in my opinion. I don't really mind the other les pauls, they're just not guitars I'd buy - especially at their price. SGs I can't play without feeling awkward - they're just oddly balanced for me. But to say that PRS guitars (the highest quality production guitars on the market) are bad guitars is just ignorant regardless of whether you like the way they play or not.
    Harleyrider73
    Explorer with a trem system. How about selling a guitar with one knob. yes I could take the knob out but I end up with 2-3 holes in my guitar
    Wininacan
    because the knobs have a use?
    Harleyrider73
    Not when you don't use them. I prefer to use my tone on my amp. Now my other guitar has a kill pot which I have used a lot I can see that has a use but 2 knobs that have no use it's like tits on a boar
    L2112Lif
    No offense, but it's much harder to put tits on the boar than it is to take the tits off of a boar.
    Harleyrider73
    You epic failed to understand the meaning of tits on a boar to the statement of why the extra knobs. there are both useless and serve no purpose IMO