Slash Appetite Les Paul review by Gibson

Gibson: Slash Appetite Les Paul

Price paid: A$ 3200

Purchased from: Ebay

11 out of 10, this guitar is unbeleivable, the tone an this axe is exactly like Slashs tone, its crunchy, yet soothing, it sounds better than any other guitar I've played in my life. The SD Alnico II Pro pickups are the best thing on this guitar, they just make it. I use it on a Marshall JCM 900 and its is awesome, I usually keep it on the neck pickup for the Slash sound, but keep the tone pinched down. I hate to use effects on this guitar, I think of it as wrecking the natural sound of the guitar.

I'm lucky enough to own one of these. It is without question the best, most flawless guitar I've ever played...& I've played a lot! I love it! The added chambers don't affect anything, this guitar is so full of tone & sustain than you think would ever be possible. I love this guitar so much, I've had it for about 3 months now. I play rock/hard rock and it fits the job perfectly, I highly recommend buying this guitar, the price is definitely worth it.

Its awesome live, its the only guitar I use live. I don't think anything is going to be a problem in the future, and the strap buttons are awesome, I throw this thing around so much when I play and my strap never comes off. The finish will degrade over time, which doesn't matter really, but I polish it every day so it wont happen for ages.

The guitar was perfect when I got, but I did tinker with the hardware a bit, everything else was beautiful, pickups were just the right height bridge was routed properly and everything. The only floor on the guitar is that there was a tiny chip in the fretboard on the 12th fret (probably from replacing the fret marker)All the rest was perfect.

This guitar was made in 2010, in the USA. It has 22 frets. Traditional style weight relief Mahogany body with AAA Figured Maple top. Unique neck profile made for Slash features rounded 60's shape. Rosewood fingerboard with trapezoid inlays. Un-burst top with faded cherry back lacquer finish. Slash signature smoking skull with top hat artwork for peghead face. New Seymour Duncan Slash Signature Alnico II pickups. Special capacitors selected by Slash for Vintage tone. Tone Pro hardware with historic machine heads, locking bridge and tailpiece. Appetite Amber finish, 3 way tone switch. 2 volume 2 tone volume/tone kobs. It came with Dunlop Straplocks and a leather case with Slash Artwork.

Shinozoku
    It's a Gibson-made replica of a Gibson replica with pickups Slash never used on any of his classic albums xD
    leonche64
    voogac
    leonche64 wrote: Read Slash's book. He did not use a Gibson on the first album. He used a custom build by Kris Derrig.
    yep, this guitar is a Gibson copy of the Gibson copy..
    rv_phoenix
    spensir3 wrote: rv_phoenix wrote: sewoo55 wrote: Users Rating: 3.6 another slash guitar? I smell a firestorm brewing..... I answer your question by another one: a chip in the fret of a mere 4728 USD Signature guitar? How would you call this? An excellency feature? Plus the guy wondering that a guitar provided with Dunlop Straplocks is never coming off?... What would he expect, since Dunlop straplocks are made to support 200 kg of load literally? I think this was an amateur review, which says nothing else but the guy's delight he has the same guitar as Slash, plus a subsequent wish to become Slash just by playing the same guitar. ... What "added chambers", since most of Les Pauls are chambered mahogany-type? What Seymour Duncan pickups? Gibson doesn't advertise that: it only says Alnico II ProSlash pickups: I very much doubt Seymour Duncan would allow using his pickups without mentioning his name... Etc. etc. Of course, the 3,6 overall doesn't reflect the truth. This Les Paul is an interesting guitar, at least for those who think Slash is a guitarist (and a good one). The 3,6, however, is just a reaction of many users against this kind of reviews, who throw the 10s out of the pen before even understanding what a guitar is and should be. listen ahole.. they are SD pickups, its listed on Gibson.com.. maybe do a little research. second, untill you play and hear this guitar as i have, ITS AMAZING!1 they sound is so perfect for anything you wanna play. whether its GNR or pearl jam. so dont go giving it a 3.6 unless youve physically played it
    I've opened the Gibson site right when I wrote my comment, at the Specs section: it says Alnico II ProSlash period. Other Gibson guitars with SDs or EMGs mention this. It's quite odd this one doesn't. Neither the pickups themselves don't bear the "Seymour Duncan" moniker, like all SDs (mine, for instance). But this is not as important as you think and I'm ready to admit you're right, if you wish it so badly. It's more important to understand the instrument: a Les Paul has 59 years of history and development behind. Don't tell us that "added chambers don't affect anything", because they were meant - by guitar players much better than all of us - to improve something, and not to affect. In this case, the resonance. Sometimes, the mahogany tends to have an irregular resonance, because it's a heavy grain wood whose harmonics can reduplicate and generate an unwanted feedback. Chambers help in shaping the resonance, to the specific values requested by the designer, in your case Slash himself. I've never said it isn't a good loking guitar. I've never said it doesn't sound awesome. I've played on more expensive Les Pauls, like the Artisan (only a handful of them were manufactured in the '80s), but I would be still very restricted in throwing 10s. Les Pauls are great guitars, but, as every guitar on Earth, they have limitations due to the design and materials. Plus the detail of the chip in the fret. For such a huge ammount of money, it's unbearable! Have you seen the PRSs? Did you ever find the most minor flow, even in the sub-1000 euros SE line? 'Cos I didn't!
    Hells.Mascot
    stondagain wrote: ProgJazzMath wrote: Did anyone catch Slash on the Super Bowl last night? Dude couldn't even keep in time with the backing track for the first 45 seconds. This.
    When you're at a performance that big and loud and you have no monitors (even if you do), it's damn hard to hear what you're playing in relation to the song. (example: The Beatles members playing different songs for a full ten seconds) I'm not saying he's not an overrated guitarist, but he is a legendary musician nonetheless. And yeah, the Black Eyed Peas have always sucked and always will. As far as tone goes, the Epiphone version isn't too terribly inferior to the Gibson model, but if you've held both in your hands, you'd know that the Gibson model is miles better in every other way.
    RosenCurse
    You can't just give it a straight 10 out of 10. NOTHING is that good. The thing could've been flawed as all get out and you wouldn't even be able to tell the difference.
    Charlie4
    I'd say if any guitar gets close to all 10's it would be a PRS Private Reserve. Back to the Slash Gibby, since he bought from Ebay there was obviously a chance that he would get defective merchandise (not being able to inspect it 1st hand). I have to add though, for any guitar reaching the $3000+ mark and be defective, That is an insult to the consumer.
    LesPaulGuy514
    Couldn't hear himself thats prbably why
    Seref
    They are actually Seymour Duncans though. Just a few months ago SD released their Slash signature pickups, which they called Alnico II Pro Slash (a variation of the older and more common Alnico II Pros). If you look at SDs website, the pickup shown also doesn't have the SD logo on it.
    gibsongalore184
    This guitar really is amazing. I own the Epiphone version,and its STILL amazing. To the guy saying they arnt Seymour Duncans: You are wrong. They are most definatley Seymour Duncans. Those are the pickups Slash put in ALL his guitars.
    TheVoid
    Bogmonster
    DamonRulz1 : Guys, I'm not exaggerating this guitar, it is great, and sorry I'm not good at writing reviews, i just saw that there wasn't one so I put it on the site. And I got it replaced when I found a chip in the neck. Plus I'm not an amateur, Iv been playing for 8 years now, and have a successful band, so F*%$ you people who are going all psycho on me. Also, Slash does use SD and hell yeah I'm a fan of Slash and GNR
    Dude, I completely agree with you on this one. These are absolutely fantastic guitars. Got one a few months back and they are amazing. Don't listen to idiots complaining about price and signature guitars made to the artists specs. Thats just bullshit. If it works for you and inspires you to write music, thats what matters. These guitars kick ass!!
    rv_phoenix
    TheVoid wrote: Isn't it much funnier to think of your own sound? Actually, I do small performances in clubs with only a Seymour Duncan Pickup Boost, a Seymour Duncan Lava Box, a Mad Professor Fuzz (the three of them borrowed from my friends) and a Rocktron Hush Pedal, all this sent to a borrowed Kustom Coupe 72. My heavily modified Yamahas and my Vintage V 100 sound like heaven, believe me.You need to remember one thing, it takes different strokes. Not everyone really cares to have original sound. I personally do, but some people like playing their guitar for fun, not to become the next big thing. So while maybe paying a few more euros to have something their idol designed. Try to remember that.
    Thank you for the good advice. But in this case they shouldn't write reviews and throw 10s on instruments they know very little about. Correct me if I'm wrong: the UG is a very comprehensive portal, with many places for people to exhibit their enthousiasm for certain idols, other than the Electric Guitar Reviews section. Imagine how many innocent people will think this Les Paul is the supreme guitar on Earth (and it is not!), if some experienced people don't reply to superficial reviews. I don't pretend I know everything about a guitar - if I knew, then I would probably cease playing -, and I also happen to know that lack of knowledge is not a sin. All you have to do is learn. It takes time and time again to really understand something about this very complexe phaenomenon, which has completely reshaped our world, literaly: the electric guitar.
    blazer84
    I'm not sure, but I think Fergie started singing a phrase before she was supposed to. Who cares?...I'm not a big fan of the Black Eyed Peas, and would have preferred to hear more Slash solos. Oh well, as for the guitar...I couldn't imagine spending that much money on a guitar, but I'd love to play it.
    rv_phoenix
    TheVoid wrote: I don't pretend I know everything about a guitar - if I knew, then I would probably cease playing -, and I also happen to know that lack of knowledge is not a sin. All you have to do is learn. It takes time and time again to really understand something about this very complexe phaenomenon, which has completely reshaped our world, literaly: the electric guitar. I'm a bassist, so maybe we alter in the respect of what is reshaping what. But Yeah, maybe this review isn't the best, but it's an opinion, just like pretty much everything else on this website.
    I like your wise approach and I respect your point of view. Being a writer myself, freedom of expression is one of the most important values of our world. However, I'd like to tell you that expressing an opinion doesn't imply assigning marks. When you put marks on something, then you suppose to have the experience and the credibility to do so. No matter if you give a 4 or a 10. The UG is a community where youngsters come to look for advice and 10s are certainly more appealing than a 7,6. And one thing is for sure: this excellent Gibson guitar isn't THE supreme guitar on Earth, to get a 10 overall, when other custom LPs, designed by much better players than Slash (a good average guitarist, if compared to Steve Howe or the late Gary Moore, to mention only the LP's fans), get 8,4 or 9,1. IMHO, high output pickups don't quite match to the design of a LP, because this guitar is prone to beefing anyway. Adding more punch means cutting its reffinement and tenderness. It suits Slash's brutal style, but it dosn't sound properly.
    Radbowl
    This is a tribute to the guitar which saved Rock n' Roll in the late 80's. The man and his guitar are iconic.
    guitarman1707
    Heres for the post just resently I received two slash appetite for desrtuction epiphones both times the neck was broken, ordered from amazon, is there problem that we need to know about?
    Oblivion_Rps
    This guitar is the best guitar I've ever played. Both the sound, and playability are perfect for me.
    deepstreibzy666
    Signature guitars blow. Find tone and sound on your own. That being said, pretty nice looking guitar.
    ariastg003
    are you sure its real. it might be a fake from china. the price you paid seems a little low considering most places sell them for $6000-$9000
    sebasnaranjo
    Hello- Does anybody know whats the difference (also in price) between a Gibson Les Paul Appetite, and a Gibson Les Paul Appetite for Destruction?
    TheVoid
    blazer84
    sewoo55
    Users Rating: 3.6
    another slash guitar? I smell a firestorm brewing.....
    spensir3
    MegadethFan18
    Tokai09
    I do have to admit, the review is good but it's kinda amateur and needs to go a bit more in depth. For instance, Slash doesn't just use the neck pick-up, he switches between between the bridge and neck like there's no tomorrow. Though he does use the neck so some rhythm parts like the little groove near the end of the Nightrain solo. Slash does use SD's btw.
    bustapr
    in my opinion thats the nicest looking les paul ever. Still prefer the epiphone model though.
    captainperoxide
    rv_phoenix wrote: I just hate being a clone, don't you?
    And yet you type as badly as so many others.
    Kyle-Rehm
    spitch wrote: that guitar sounded like crap during the super bowl...
    everything sounded like crap at the super bowl, and that is coming from a guy that likes both slash and the black eyed peas, the sound quality and mixing were terrible.
    rv_phoenix
    English is not my native language... and, frankly, I don't believe it should be the centre of my existence.
    rv_phoenix
    captainperoxide wrote: rv_phoenix wrote: I just hate being a clone, don't you?And yet you type as badly as so many others.
    ... And it would be certainly much funnier to see you typing in my native language...
    Pippers
    Who cares, it's a guitar. It's expensive, the guy loves it. People have paid a LOT more for guitars in the past, and will do so in the future. Some guys pay more than that and stick them on their walls to collect dust, some actually play them.
    ProgJazzMath
    Xirukah
    stondagain
    This.
    rv_phoenix
    Xirukah wrote: rv_phoenix wrote: MegadethFan18 wrote: In the UK this guitar costs 4,599.00 ($7,436.12) for 4 and a half grand a guitar should be all 10's. You're right: it should be. But in an ideal world, where advertising is not polishing everything in gold. Unfortunately, we live in a world where someone pays 4 grants and still has to polish a fret. All this wave of "Signature Guitars" is tricky, anyway. Undoubtely, they are good, even excellent instruments. But 1) if you read the specs, you realize that you could get the same result at usually 1/3 of the price, by modding yourself a basic model, and 2) every Signature model is designed to the specific requests of a player: then why would you emulate it, instead of looking for your own style, sound, technique and expression? I've played on hundreds of guitars, but I've felt "home" only on instruments adjusted to my personality. I think that's the way. I just hate being a clone, don't you? sorry, but i can't agree 100 % . For example, i can0t die happy if i dont buy the Black Strat ( David Gilmour Signature Series ). But i think that i wont play it never. Just for collect, cause Floyd are my favorite band. But i agree with you. Why we look for our tecniques and our style if we buy siganture series guitars!??. Normal people, buy a guitar and play it how they want. Rich people design and construct a guitar. sorry for my english!!!
    Pink Floyd is my favorite band, too, but I wouldn't pay so many thousands euros on David Gilmours's Signature Strat. First of all, because I'm not David Gilmour. And second, because you can actually buy a Standard Stratocaster with the specs of his Black Strat (meaning wood and finish), then an EMG ready-wired David Gilmour pickguard (for about 270 euros), some premium tuning keys (Wilkinson's E-Z-Loks or Jinho's Locking usually sell for about 40 euros a whole set). With 1000 euros you can get 99,98% of David's 8000 euros Signature Strat. But don't forget the rest of his equipment, if you consider collecting Dave's items prior to edath. An Evidence Lyric HG cable sells for about 90 euros/ 10 feet. A Pete Cornish designed pedalboard can easily reach to 3-4,000 euros. A Pete Cornish designed rig can top the 50,000 euros. HiWatt Heads sell for 1,800 euros each, and David uses 4 of them. Not to mention the rotating speakers - WEMs or Yamahas -, discontinued, hence outrageously expensive... Isn't it much funnier to think of your own sound? Actually, I do small performances in clubs with only a Seymour Duncan Pickup Boost, a Seymour Duncan Lava Box, a Mad Professor Fuzz (the three of them borrowed from my friends) and a Rocktron Hush Pedal, all this sent to a borrowed Kustom Coupe 72. My heavily modified Yamahas and my Vintage V 100 sound like heaven, believe me.
    Msword7
    "so full of tone & sustain than you think would ever be possible" learn to write sentences that make sense. it should be more full
    DamonRulz1
    Guys, I'm not exaggerating this guitar, it is great, and sorry I'm not good at writing reviews, i just saw that there wasn't one so I put it on the site. And I got it replaced when I found a chip in the neck. Plus I'm not an amateur, Iv been playing for 8 years now, and have a successful band, so F*%$ you people who are going all psycho on me. Also, Slash does use SD and hell yeah I'm a fan of Slash and GNR.