Slash Signature Les Paul review by Gibson

Gibson: Slash Signature Les Paul

I play from classic rock to metal and it fits perfectly no matter what I am playing. It can do sweet clean tones, metal crunch, and everywhere in between depending on how you set your amplifier. It's not noisy at all. I took it to a guitar shop and it out played every guitar we pulled off the wall including a couple Les Paul Studios.

I play anything from classic rock to metal and it can do it all with just a little adjustment of your amplifer. I have been playing for only 5 years but that doesn't mean I don't know what's good. I also have an Epiphone Les Paul with EMG pickups and a B.C. Rich warlock all played through a Marshall amp and there isnt even a contest. If it were stolen or lost I would definetly get a new one no question. I love the skull and crossbones picture on the headstock instead of the "Les Paul model". It just looks badass. I love everything about it, and I can't seem to find anything I hate. Like I said it before I compared it to some guitars in a guitar shop and it blew them all away. They was a Dean ML, a Paul Reed Smith Mira, a Gibson Flying V, a Gibson SG, and a Gibson Les Paul Studio all played through a Marshall amp and the only thing that even came close was the SG and and Mira but it still outshined all of them. I only wish the case came with a lock so my friends can't steal it but that's the only thing. If you get the chance buy one.

This guitar seems like it can take abuse well, my friend smacked the bottom against a chair and it didn't leave a mark. The hardware is totally solid and seems like it will last. I replaced the strap buttons so I don't really know. I could easily gig without a backup, but anything could happen so I would always bring a spare just in case. The finish seems just as solid as the rest of the guitar.

It was set up perfectly, the action was great. The pickups didn't need any adjustment. The bridge was properly routed. I can't find any flaws on the whole guitar and I've looked over the entire thing in and out. The finish looks beautiful and can looks like it will last as long as I own the guitar. All of the chrome is perfect. The pickup selector isnt noisy at all. Everything was perfect right out of the box.

Made in the USA. 22 frets. Mahogany body and neck, with the neck being set to Slash's personal specifications. It is so thin and comfortable it blows every other Les Paul I've played away. Beautiful flamed maple top. Tonepro stop bar and bridge. 2 tone, 2 volume controls and 3-way selector switch. Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro-II humbuckers. Non-locking Kluson copy tuners. Came with a custom made Gibson USA case. The only thing I changed was I put on a set of Schaller strap locks.

Ischi
    Slash has always used Alnico II p/ups..
    sebastianoris.j
    Tried it, it plays like a beast. Anyone who says otherwise is stupid and should try it before commenting. Also got a great discount at $500 because of a tiny bulk that is barely noticeable.
    eggy1991
    BlisteringDDj wrote: 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10... I don't think so...
    deafening
    kfong03 wrote: just buy an epi with the same finish, stick some alnico 2's on and swap the epi tuners for gibson ones and basically u got the same guitar change the headstock for extra effect
    never speak again
    souls_of_black
    nope! you get more tone out of thicker gauge strings, and different tensions, trust me you'll know the difference between a $10 set of strings and a $30 set of strings! plus they last alot longer. There's so much difference between slash's signature and a standard les paul! all of slashes specs, on the neck, bridge, action... he set it the way he like it.
    The pickups sounds way too transparent and they are extremely muddy. This guitar, much like the Jimmy Page reissue, are furniture. Nothing more.
    You must be shitting me!!
    TLA_Tohig
    Lmao at all the hate going on here. Slash is a very knowledgeable chap on guitars. So then, any guitar made to his specs is gonna be awesome. I own this guitar and let me tell you, it's amazing. Well capable of playing in a band. And the price is because it's a Gibson Les Paul, designed by SLASH! Stop hating coz you might not be able to have it.
    Thomasg2488
    Really, any signature guitar is for the people who like that guitarist. Slash has his signature Les Paul and Eddie Van Halen has his EVH Wolfgang. It's all about the guitarist and what they like to attract their fans and yes, I'm am a huge fan of Slash and his music and would buy it in a heart beat, but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't buy a '59 Les Paul given the choice. Good guitar and you find for as much as a regular Les Paul if you look hard enough.
    guitardiablo
    raezor wrote: i'm reading the Slash book right now and i saw him say in an interview that he used Seymore Duncan's not Alnico's
    alnico's are seymour duncan. and why is everyone so negative about this guitar. it looks amazing. it sounds great. its not cheap. but hey, if you don't have money, than you can't buy it. simple. and its true that this is a guitar for a slash fan, just like me. people say that a standard is cheaper and is almost the same. but i want the slash signature not the standard. if i want the standard i'll buy a standard. but i want the slash signature. and then people say that your stuppid to give so much money, everything has to b cheap for those poor people. make more money, and then you don't realy give a **** that its a little more. i say this with respect
    guitardiablo
    musicman789
    don't rip too hard on the guitar (even though it is too expensive and not to Slash's specs) it sounds about 6-7 on a 10 scale and has a cool color
    l)ragonForce
    -Rane-
    Nice guitar... until you see that it costs 4,500 dollars. I could get a guitar with recording quality tone, a professional 100w head amp, awesome cab, a top quality analog to digital converter, some beta 87 and sm58 mics, cables, and I'd still have money left over.
    shreddin_frets
    The only signarture models I like are the Dean ML Dimes, but that's just me I guess.. With that said, I think when I'm super famous and can pull 8000+ moolahs out of my ass, I'll get two of these guitars. One to smash and put on youtube, and another one to hang on my wall.
    FuZzY(aus)
    yeh no point getting a sig model to expensive hahaha bad ass is it? i reckon a normal sunburst les paul looks miles better no comparison
    LedZeppelin9345
    although i am a big fan of Slash and Jimmy Page, i dont think i would ever buy a signature model of any artist.
    kaizerkhan13
    cj10schmelzer wrote: i may sound like a retard and i dont know if this has been done yet but i just thought of a great idea.. if they took one of slashs guitars that got beat up pretty bad over the years (because he beat his guitars up pretty bad) and copy it exactly like it is when he stopped using it. like one of his guitars' neck got cracked pretty bad.. so put a big old fake crack in the neck of a brand new model.. put like fake cigarette burns on it and stuff and fade the finish A LOT.. you guys may not think thats cool but i think it would look pretty sweet.
    actually it is a cool idea, n van halen got fender to recreate his guitar, which was all taped up and crap. ummmmm i wanna say ive seen a joe strummer like that too but im not sure
    E V H 5150
    l)ragonForce wrote: Onza_jk wrote: Gah, this guitar would be a dream to have, but im going to just buy standard and put seymor duncans in myself. yeh that would be way cheaper
    Seeing as you're mostly paying for the name? Definitely!
    l)ragonForce
    yeh that would be way cheaper
    Rogue Hermit
    nice guitar, but i'd rather build my own up to my own specs than buy somebody else's so i could try sounding like them. less expensive too
    mitch311
    A better idea is to get a second hand Japanese tokai or burny etc, les paul replica and put alnico II duncans in it. It might not look the same but it will play just as good(if not better) and sound just as good for a fraction of the price.
    AToolCircle93
    WAY too expensive, but it's a nice guitar. I played the epi version and even unplugged it sounded fantastic, might as well just get one of them.... What I really want is the Tony Iommi sig SG, but it's 'bout 5 1/2 Grand, and I just don't have the cash for that.
    guitaringnathan
    the neck is larger which puts more tension on the strings which puts more tension on the strings increasing the guitars natural compression and sustain. well, according to the magazine anyway.
    Shredder Guitar
    DETH_BITTO wrote: wow. someone has more money than brains
    if i had a dollar for every brain you dont have, I'd have ONE DOLLAR. but yeah... i'd just get a standard and pop in some Duncans.
    Sox0690
    GNRrocka wrote: Tyler Durden wrote: Iv got a standard with duncans, and I know I paid a lot less in the end standard as in studio?..
    no, i'm guessing standard as in... standard. there's a difference between standard and studio, standards are better.
    ENZO_
    "I only wish the case came with a lock so my friends can't steal it" haha u need new friends man
    Force Reaver
    Ok so if you dont like it by an Epi either way you give Gibson the money because Gibson owns epiphone. To me if you have the money and really want a les paul by a Gibson. If your short on cash by an Epi. So many people are complaining about the price of these new signature slash models. The only people who should really even be buying these things are extreame slash fans or hard core collectors. If you are neither of these stick to the standard models they are much cheaper and the only difference between them is a very few minor parts.
    CaptainInsano
    Wow every one likes duncans, i prefer Dimarzio, but anyway this thing is way overpriced and slash is overated any way. lol
    Lil Macker
    Vampire 255 wrote: waste of money IMO just get a standard and put some duncans in
    You don't even have to go that close to getting new pickups; Burstbuckers and 57 Classics are Alnico IIs, so you may aswell just get a JCM800 or something like that.
    jtallen0496
    SlashWannabe1 wrote: psychedelicscre wrote: ok dnt storm me but i know guitars and this is nothing up to slash's specs nor is it that great, the alnico pickups r wayy to modern, get the real deal vintage 1960s or 70s pickups fr a gibson form ebay or sumthin and itll sound even better than this overpriced ting. Idiot, Alnico's are awesome, if you like Slash's tone use Alnico's if you don't why comment?
    Says the guy Whose name is slash wannabe
    logicbdj
    I just bought one... got it for $1800 on ebay, which is VERY reasonable... and since there are only 150 made, to my knowledge, a higher price tag is not unusual (people pay for those things that are rare). I also have an Ibanez JS2400, which cost me $2,000. I like the feel and neck playability of my JS2400 better, and prefer it for lead because of the whammy bar (which I tend to use often enough), but in terms of tone/sound and playing rhythm/riffs, I prefer the Slash Les Paul. I never played other Les Pauls... and so I can't make a comparison, but for the price I paid, I think it was a very good deal.
    ponkla
    I have one! i broke the neck and burnd up 2 pots and the this guitar still gets the job done probably the best sounding guitar out there if you ask me
    DrakeTheOne
    I can honestly sday if I bought a Gibson I wouldn't play it, especialy not this one. It seems to be a show piece like a collector's item. Epiphone makes slightly more reliable guitars that look the same. This is a great guitar though. One of my favorite Gibson models.
    AJH0014
    I read on Ed Roman's website that slash did not play a gibson guitar because they were not up to his standards. instead what he did was got a Luther to make him a ghost guitar which looked like a les paul so he was not playing a off the rack guitar
    DGrey
    l)ragonForce wrote: guitaringnathan wrote: i read in a magazine review that the huge difference between this guitar and a regular les paul with duncans is that the neck is wider and thinner, and that the strings have more tension, helping creating slash's sound. umm dont rip on me for this but don't all strings create the same tension depending on their tune? so all strings would have the same sound the only thing that would effect it is the pickups right...?
    The only way to change string tension (unless you are changing the note it plays) is to change the scale of the neck. The shorter the scale, the lower the tension. Byrdlands have a 23 1/2" scale, while an LP is 24 3/4" and a Strat is 25 1/2". Strat has the highest string tension and the Byrdland has the lowest on the same string. That's the guitar itself. Slash normally tunes a half step low which would be less tension, but you don't need a signature model for that. Also, the more mass (thicker strings), the more tension you need, so putting heavier strings on would increase the tension. Again, not something you need a signature model for, just put different strings on. Since Slash tunes down a half step, he may put heavier strings on to get the same tension and feel as normal, or maybe they increased the scale of the neck just for him for equivilant results. Measure the scale of the guitar (Saddle to nut). If it's not 24 3/4", we know they fiddled with the scale for this model.
    Rock-Addict-666
    It really outplayed an SG? I have an SG and it plays easier than any other guitar I've ever picked up.
    warrenguitar
    Doesnt Slash's have more orangey in it?? Well, its a masterpiece, quality guitar! Heard one at a gig and it sounded really good clean...
    lespaul#1
    Bebbo wrote: well, nice stuff from a great guitar player but I prefer tools of my own style
    I agree.
    git-airman
    eggy1991 wrote: BlisteringDDj wrote: 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10... I don't think so... hmm, you thought the same as me, a guitar review should be specific, detailed, point out the flaws, point out what you dislike. all you did was tell us teh better points and blow smoke up its ass. I seriously refuse to believe this is any better than an original 80s LP. period.
    idont know how anybody can like signatures better than the raw power from one you can call personal.
    bcrichesrock
    You guys are complete dumbasses! the purpose of this guitar is to keep it on display as a collector's item. every time you play it you signifigantly reduce the value of it. If you wan't to spend thath much on a slash guitar to ruin the value buy an Epiphone Slash les paul.
    raezor
    1N50MN1A
    i got an Epi L/P and i changed the CRAPPY HEADSTOCK over to grover, i also changed my pickups to fury noisless! i record with this guitar, and am PLEASED BY IT. played with the slash model ... the slash doesnt even hold up. though nice, i agree with the above post by Force Reaver word
    brady12345
    The finish is ass, the vintage burst on the Les Paul classic looks much better
    -Rane-
    Force Reaver wrote: ....So many people are complaining about the price of these new signature slash models. The only people who should really even be buying these things are extreme slash fans or hard core collectors. If you are neither of these stick to the standard models they are much cheaper and the only difference between them is a very few minor parts.
    True. +1
    Martin Scott
    Glad you like your new guitar. I think your review of it was pretty useless, though. Nothing is absolutely perfect. There had to have been some faults or some downsides you could have mentioned. You said that you changed the strap buttons to Schaller strap locks (I have on mine as well, great choice!). Is this because you just automatically put strap locks on, or is it because the Gibson strap buttons are so tiny that they're pointless? I'm thinking the latter. Does it stay in tune well? How are the frets? There's so much stuff you didn't mention. I know a new guitar is often like love at first sight (especially a Gibson), but you'd have done a much better review if you'd left it for a while. The guitar may yet let you down.