Tony Iommi Signature SG review by Gibson

Gibson: Tony Iommi Signature SG

Purchased from: Music Swop Shop

Well I play Black Sabbath so this suits me fine. The amp I am currently using is a Laney GH50L, 4x2 Laney Cabinet. The effects consist of a Vox Brit Boost, Zaak Wylde Wah and a Korg AX10G effects unit, using that for delays and chorus effect. Love the sound the look is not all that makes this guitar look great. The pickups are fantastic you can turn them right up and have virtually no feedback. Or turn them down and they still pickup the sound good. This guitar can match any style of music.

Well like I said I play mostly Black Sabbath but am currently in the process of writing my own music so this is a good match for me. I have been playing for 6 years and my other guitars consist of an Epiphone SG Custom (white), Epiphone SG Standard (cherry), Status Silhouette Series Strat, Casino Bass Guitar and a J&D SG. If it were lost I would try to find another one to buy. I love everything about this guitar it inspires me to write music. I was originally going to get an Epiphone Tony Iommi SG but when I saw the Gibson I changed my mind pretty quick. I would rather a Gibson to an Epiphone.

This guitar will withstand live playing without a problem. The hardware seems like it will last, I mean it's a Gibson. I can depend on this to use at a gig without a backup. This guitar will withstand anything.

The guitar wasn't set up to greatly when I recieved it. Pickups needed to be adjusted and the strings changed. Also had to have the upper strap button relocated to the tip of the horn instead of being on the back of the horn. That was a bad place for it there, much better on the tip like where they are on a Strat. Other than that it was pretty good. The pickup selector seems a bit wobbly but no problem with the sound or anything.

The Tony Iommi Signature SG is a tribute to the distinct sound and legendary rock anthems from his over twenty-five years with Black Sabbath. This new SG features an ebony finish and dual Tony Iommi Signature pickups. The truss rod cover features a signature decal and the inlays are silver crosses.

redxiiidave
    popeonarope
    What the hell are you on, to my knowledge Black Sabbath have never had two guitarists, unless of course you are referring to Geezer Butler who is the bass player, but what has that got to do with "dual solos".
    azz_kikr92
    [quote]Insane Esp wrote: Black sabbath is great but tony lommi blows. Him and the other guitarist werent even good enough to play the same dual solos becuse theyd **** up the rythem and be off so they played two different solos at once. But ill give him credit for playing with chopped off tips of his fingers[/quote You stupid f**ker. There was only one, count 'em, ONE, soloing guiatarist in the original Black Sabbath. Do your f**king homework.
    Johnny Blade
    This is the best SG ever, followed by the Gibson 61 SG or Gibson Custom Shop Tony Iommi SG
    short_stuff_145
    It is a damn nice guitar, but is it worth all that money...? i dont think changing the strap thing is a big deal, if you feel comfortable with it like that, then do it!!
    sgspecial2006
    Everyone who is arguing about "you're" please stop. It's annoying, and this is about guitar, not damn spelling.
    Ride The Rhino
    Settle down, metal is rock, kind of like a rectangle being a square, but square not being a rectangle Wow This Is A Real Rocker Already On The Dope. The Guitar Isnt Even That Good, Waste Of My Money If You Ask Me.
    hippiesrchill
    Room On Fire wrote: Originally Posted by ToesKa it's like a bike with an motor on it it's called a motorcycle...
    hahahahhahahah wow.... ur such a dumbass, not the guy who said it was a motercycle, the guy who said "... bike w/ a chain on it..."
    zark1989
    sexy-man : ha even though hes left handed how much anyone wanna bet that it only comes right handed? lol
    If you click the picture that opens up you will notice that it is a right handed guitar silly.
    War_Ensamble
    this is not a discussion of how many guitarist they had this is about the guitar that is obviously going for more money than its worth
    Dog454
    I have the Epiphone version of this guitar, mainly because I can't afford to put out $6000 for this guitar. And I have to say, I love this guitar. The pickups are much dirtier and hotter than the normal Gibsons, and they give you a great sound, if you have the cash, this is definately the guitar to buy.
    freemind12
    how is this different to a stanard? other than the "completely different pick-ups" i bet they are nearly exactly the same. I have an SG not a Gibson tho sposedly better spec than a stanard one tho.... the Indie SG. And to the people who said SGs should be in red i firmly agree even tho mine isnt but its very cool. It's like through blacky,yellow... I moved my strap button to the back of the horn i dont think you should put it on the edge like a strat as it ruins it.
    guitar_lvr
    "I would rather a Gibson to an Epiphone." so would i, but the price difference is not worth it, if gibsons are handmade and epiphones are machine made doesnt that make epiphones more precise and better? but still gibsons are like three times as much as epiphones. i kno im being kind of a smartass.
    sexy-man
    popeonarope
    sorry mate, wrong way around, a square is most definitely a rectangle it just happens that it is a rectangle whose sides are all the same length. Anyway on to the guitar, if you like the look of an SG then this (in my opinion) is as good looking as any other SG but having played and owned several SGs none bar one of them sounded remarkably different and they most certainly did not make me sound like Tony Iommi. I love the guy but if you want to sound like him you're gonna need a barrage of effects (check out http://guitargeek.com/rigview/476/). I suppose the overall point I'm trying to make is, it doesn't matter one iota what the guitar looks like, if you think you want one go and play it first, it may not be all that you expect. Having been through several SGs both Gibson and Epiphone the only one I have left is actually an Epiphone with a seymour Duncan in the Bridge, it is far and away the best SG I've ever played. If you're gonna get this guitar to be like Iommi then why not go the whole hog and grow a daft moustache, have a mullet haircut and cut the tops off several of your fingers and have them replaced with plastic tips? Just to finish I'd like to add that John 5 sinature Tele is a perfect case in point regarding looks and playability, I personally think Teles are the most hideous guitars on the planet (including anything by BC Rich) but I bought a John 5 tele about 5 minutes after picking it up, check one out they sound and play incredible and are fairly priced.
    bs5538
    catchtherainbow : all hail Iommi...he's great...no matter how complicated today's metal music is...Iommi is METAL!!!!!not rock...and never a roll...but METAL...that guitar proves everything!!!
    Settle down, metal is rock, kind of like a rectangle being a square, but square not being a rectangle.
    Johnny Blade
    The epiphone dose actually sound about the same. Because it is fitted with the same Gibson Signature Pickups.
    War_Ensamble
    nice guitar but im sticking with my gibson explorer and my roope latvala custom jackson
    Zviper
    orangeacid wrote: Yeah, You're gay is definately only 2 words. Not to mention you're just another one of those 'you like punk so you must be gay' people. People like you make me sick. It's like being racist. You're is a contraction so it's two words, you and are. The contraction (I think you mean compound) makes it one word. Anyway, he sounds like a complete tosspot regardless
    It's a Suffix
    Jãzzhølè
    I think it's pure cheek, that this guitar is not available for lefthanded guitarists, ALTHOUGH Tony Iommi himself even is lefthanded =/ ...
    thunderinblack
    its a shame they discontinued it but no many people would buy it, its one of if not the most exspencive sg's ever made
    SGMAN911
    this is a great guitar, and even as much as i idolize tony, i would never buy this. BE YOUR OWN PERSON W/ YOUR OWN GUITAR
    HELLSHREDD
    Well buy an epiphone & sound like you bought the axe from zellers or get the real deal ya wimp arse broke unemployed bum tard.
    LegendsOfRock wrote: no offence but why just not pay 1 third the price for an epiphone?
    HELLSHREDD
    All you rookies want metal sound & whine on 4 eva bout a great sounding metal guitar,forget the SG & get a jackson with emg81 pickup or if ya want a gibson get an EXPLORER.
    Insane Esp
    KerNeL_KLuTcH
    Picked one of these up at the Gibson guitar factory in Nashville, TN this past summer. This thing is amazing fast neck, pickups that are as close to active as passives can be. Only complaint is that on some amps the cleans can get muddy. Well built, I've played Gibson Les Pauls that cost quadruple this that didn't have as nice construction. 24 Frets of awesomeness, inlays are supurb, utterly flawless. My only complaint is that the pickups have this sort of off color black chrome color that seems to oxidize and have a sort of rainbow color to them, weird but it seems to wear off with playing. This is Tony's Sound I've played artist series guitars that were not the artists sound, ie the numerous low level Dean artist series, rule of thumb if the pickups are standard don't buy it. Finally This guitar looks cool, aside from dumbass comments, like "are you some super christian?" to which i respond you clearly don't know who tony iommi & black sabbath are. My friend had a great idea if only they sold this in a left handed model. buy that and restring it righty. Inverted Crosses FTW.
    mh1986
    TerribleBMX wrote: There had to be a reason why Iommi left Gibson and went for a custom SG... along with many players that left Gibson guitars have had replicas made like Slash. Till this day tony iommi doesnt use any Gibson. Its all done by JayDee and another guy... not John Birch. He doesnt even use the Gibson signature pickups. He uses custom ones made by JayDee now and the older pickups done by John Birch in the 80s. He uses 250k pots as well instead of the 500k
    Actually he uses a couple of Custom Gibsons made for him in 97. one was stolen at the Dio tribute gig. His primary axe is one John Diggins made for him in 76. Given the Jaydee is superior as it's hand crafted by a master luthier. His Gibsons are loaded with the gibson Iommi pickups based on the custom Jaydee bridge pickup. As far as I know he no longer uses the John Birch guitars, he switched to Jaydee when Diggins left Birch to start his own shop.
    TerribleBMX
    iamawsomeguitar
    redxiiidave wrote: As opposed to most of you children, I'm an adult who has sufficient income to purchase this guitar (which I have). Tony is THE GOD OF METAL. This guitar hangs on my wall, without ever being played. I have numerous other guitars to play in my band, so playability is not an issue. Neither is cost. You can't be like Tony, so playing his guitar won't make a bit of difference. This guitar to me is a piece of art, and a tribute to one of the three most important rock guitarists in history (you figure out the other two). And no, Jimmy Page isn't one of them. Neither is Hetfield.
    Angus?
    iamawsomeguitar
    b.b-king_19 wrote: Well it's a gibson so we all know it's gunna be good
    we also know its gonna be expensive and over the years it will get worse
    gitarre a
    Thats one cool guitar for sure but was way too expensive to buy new. I'm surprised that on-one has mentioned Mr. Iommi's "real" workhorse guitar which was custom built for him around the mid 70's by a company called Jaydee Guitars in Birmingham England. He still uses this custom SG (called "the old boy")for both the studio and all his live performances. I've seen Sabbath/Heaven and Hell live a number of times over the years and could'nt help but notice that he only played his Gibson SG for only one or two songs, probably because hes's obliged to, since he's endorsed by Gibson. The rest of time, he played his beat up (and burnt) custom Jaydee SG. This company is still in existence and will build you a replica of Tony's guitar for around GBP1800, complete with crucifix inlays and custom Iommi pickups. Jaydee guitars are quite a small company so the downside is that you may have to wait around a year before your guitar is ready. I've had the pleasure of playing both the Gibson and Jaydee SGs' and I have to say that everything about the Jaydee is better than the Gibson. Fit and finish are perfect with really low action and no string buzz. Neck is very thin which makes the guitar very fast and easy to play. 24 frets means you can replicate any of Iommi's solos. I'm not positive, but I think the Gibson Iommi custom has only 22 frets. The Jaydee SG also comes much closer to capturing Tony Iommi's sound than the Gibson.
    Riggy
    I like the guitar. Plays nice. looks nice. *quote*nd for ****s sake try a les paul, and before you say les pauls aren't that heavy if at all.*/quote* The Les Pauls weight is terrible, but its generall a good sign, better wood, better sound. My Jackson weighs a ****ing ton, damn mahogony (sp) body.
    Multiplayerjon