ASAT Classic review by G&L

G&L: ASAT Classic

Price paid: € 650

Purchased from: Local guitar shop

The reason why I bought this guitar. I use it through my Fender Frontman 15W and it sounds okay. When I use through my friends 50 W Fender amp, it sounds friggin awesome. I hardly ever use the neck pickup, but it gives a nice bluesy sound I guess. I find it the most appropiate for jazz, but then a tele isn't really appropiate for jazz at all. Both pickups together give a very beautiful RHCP-like sound. It reminds me of under the bridge. It sound quite delicate and full. I love it to get a more soft sound compared to the bridge pickup. The bridge pickup is a beast. It gives you the regular tele twang, begging you to play the intro riff of "Sweet Home Alabama". But when you add some distortion, you unleash the beast that inside the G&L. Its like a lions roar, so raw, so aggressive, so awesome. Its really good for surf&the likes, basically good for anything. The tele is very versatile. Its good for basically any style, which is the reason why I bought it. So if you're not really sure which style you're gonna play with it, or you're just interested in different genres, teles in general are awesome.

The first impression you get when you see the guitar, you think; its ugly. When you hear it, you'll be astonished. And I like that. It has an attitude like: "I don't care if you think I'm ugly, 'cause I rawk." Though it is a very pop-ish guitar, the bridge pickup with a good dose of distortion will blow away all those softies. It can definetely have a lot of power with the right amount of distortion. I'm not sure if I'd buy it again if it was stolen, seeing I got it for almost half the original price because it was the last G&L and I could get it tax free. I can't afford it either, but I'd definetely go for another tele. Tele's are so awesome; they're simple, but they got the right attitude. It's not about looks, it's really about how it sounds and feels. Sure, a dimebag darrel with lightning finish is awesome, but the tele is more than just about looks. Its about the sound and playability, and nothing else.

I'm not really careful with my guitar. I dropped it, and now a piece of the finish is gone. Also, the fretboard is also starting to loose its original colour. I don't mind. I think teles should look like they've been beaten. The guitar is quite ugly, its got a yellow/white finish and looks quite cheap. Nevertheless, I can really depend on this guitar- I'm sure that, no matter how I beat it, it will keep sounding awesome. Yes, the finish won't last, yes, the fretboard glim will vanish, yes the button on my selector switch has fallen off, but that only makes it more of an animal. And more original.

G&L is a company made by Leo Fender, the original maker of the Fender company. He sold it though, and started a new company called G&L with his friend George. G&L makes higher quality but more expensive Fender-style guitar. It's kind of an Elite-Fender company. The guitar set-up was adequate. I needed to re-string it, seeing it hung in the shop for probably over a year. The pickups were fine, like the action was. I found no flaws at all. One thing that I regret was that I pulled off the foil on the pickguard so carelessly, leaving spots on it still half a year later. The wood is really heavy, but you'll get used to it. The finish isn't really beautiful, but then, that's how a tele's supposed to be imo.

Before I start reviewing, I need to tell my story. I had started playing guitar about 1,5 year ago, and to begin I bought a squire Bullet. After a while I learned that a proper guitar was needed. I had about 1000 euro at the time, but decided I would aim for a guitar half that cash. So I started looking. When over time, it became clear I wanted a tele, I started focusing on them, finding that probably the best reviewed and IMO the best tele I had played so far was the Fender Baja. After long weeks of thinking, I finally persuaded myself, walked to the shop, and spoke: "I want to buy the Baja. Or is there anything else I should try?" "you could try this, he answered", pointing at an even more ugly tele than the Baja. I took it in my hands, plugged it in, and 10 minutes later I walked out of the shop, having spend more than I would ever imagine. I had no doubts altogether. I was convinced in a sec. Now for the review. The neck is quite thick, I think more thicker than your average tele, which makes it easy for chords. Soloing is great too, but like all teles, it ain't for metal. It has 21 or 22 frets (not sure, it's not here atm so I can't check) and has two single coil pickups. The body is heavy, I don't really know what kind of wood its made out of and the tuners appear solid. I think they are. It has a volume knob, a tone knob and a 3-way pickup switch. It has a maple neck. I got a bag and a certificate showing it's an actual G&L guitar. Body is tele style obviously. I don't really know much about guitars, nor do I care. I found out that features such as how many frets or type of tuners and bridge don't mean a lot. I just care how a guitar plays and sounds. So this part is actually quite bleh. Sorry.

j_hunter_hkr
    cal?!
    frnzd wrote: Are you mad? When Have Biffy ever played metal. That's like calling Gary Coleman a tall white man.
    dont be a douche about it, note that the main word in that sentance was "IF"
    Slaytan666
    AbbeyRoad33 wrote: and on a side note, i personally think tele bodys are pretty damm sexy. it's just a matter of opinion.
    +1 Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And to all the negative reviews, this guy plays guitar and enjoys it enough to out of his way to write a review. Don't bash him just because he's a rookie. We were all inexperienced and ignorant at one point. Besides, I'd rather hear about some fresh blood picking up an axe than ****ing guitar hero any day.
    AbbeyRoad33
    AbbeyRoad33
    if re wire a 4 way switch on to a tele to make it one big humbucker, it sounds f**king bomb for metal. so yes if you know what your doing a tele, any tele, is one of the most versitial guitars out there. if you don't do the mod (a very cheap and easy mod mind you) it does alot still, but never will take distortion the same way a gibson or ISP will.
    Slaytan666
    EpiExplorer wrote: ktullu98 wrote: Uhhhhh....One name comes to mind when thinking about metal and Tele's John 5??? No. John 5 plays in that really lame shock pop band called Manson. so its not :3
    That's trivial, you can get a "metal tone" out of any guitar with the right mods.
    Rorok_89
    Slaytan666
    This review would be terrible if it didn't make me lmao the whole time i was reading it. @vagelier: Seriously, if you want to write a good review, try comparing it to other guitars, and at least know basic info on the instrument.. I have seven guitars, and I know how many frets each one has. That kind of shit is important to an experienced player.
    EpiExplorer
    ktullu98
    Uhhhhh....One name comes to mind when thinking about metal and Tele's John 5???
    Gingrel
    Paddles wrote: like oh my god i hate this shitty review how dare he not care about a guitar's features and only care how it sounds and plays what a ****ing noob UGH MY NERD RAGE IS CRITICAL suck it up, you pansies. he does not need to describe the quality of the alder body in homeric verse to write a passable review.
    Totally agree, except for he said the body was pretty heavy which suggests maybe ash? Ash teles sound awesome. As do ash strats. And, i play metal on my strat. The right distortion and the right EQ and its a monster!
    .Wretch.
    Harrisfun wrote: not for metal? whattabout Slipknot?
    Ha, are you that kid from EC?
    FuttBuck
    This a shitty reveiew! "I don't really know much about guitars, nor do I care." NICE
    chris8731
    Paddles
    cobracarg
    thereverendsoup wrote: Also, don't the dudes in Iron Maiden play Fenders? Just goes to show you, you don't need some cheesy-ass "metal" guitar to play good metal. You only really need it if the metal you're playing is complete shit and you need to distract your audience. Otherwise it's just a little more flashy bullshit to have onstage. A Fender will do you right properly setup.
    Yes but they are customed Fenders so that both pickups are humbuckers...so in reality the guitarist plays a strat but doesnt play the traditional single coil strat...
    vagelier
    blackborrego wrote: ugly, are you serious? that faded cherry at the bottom is awesome
    mine is in yellow-white. i couldnt chose for such an awesome finish because it was the only one left in the shop. but for me, its about sound anyways.
    vagelier
    k, ive been getting a hell lot of negative feedback and its kinda true. i dont know much about guitars and this is one horrible review. i just wanted to say that, even though i dont know how or why, this guitar talked to me. maybe i suck at guitar. i dont care. i love my G&L. i think im gonna delete this review anyways, maybe do it again in a couple of months or so. :p.
    SamuraiLP
    Well. Thar be here the lack of experience. So then, If I tossed you a guitar with rusty old tuning machines, You wouldn't care? The tuning machines ratio and accuracy is crucial to have a guitar thats IN TUNE which directly effects how it sounds. Bridges, Affect tonality and sustain. Now, You seem incredibly foolish. Seeing as you base your purchase on tone you don't know how to obtain or describe. Next time, Don't give me a history lesson where I'm supposed to find out the action fit and finish, Since nobody knows the action on this guitar, though we might have wanted to find out. Also, Dimebag guitar equals laughs.
    duzit89
    dollyDagger wrote: The guitarist from INXS uses G&L guitars. Just saying.
    WOOPTY DOO.. heres someone who uses them and plays them a hell of a lot better then they do.. JERRY Cantrell. from Alice in Chains
    lefty311
    j_hunter_hkr wrote: "I found out that features such as how many frets or type of tuners and bridge don't mean a lot. I just care how a guitar plays and sounds. So this part is actually quite bleh. Sorry." I stop reading there.
    Couldn't agree more... That stuff matters just as much as the pickups, wood, and paint. Every piece of the guitar effects the sound it produces. Sounds like this person shouldn't be owning a guitar if they don't understand/appreciate all aspects of the instrument.
    chaos_hands
    Looks like a beautiful guitar. And the review seems a bit "odd". I have owned many guitars and still own a bunch, and I don't know who ever told you that you need a "proper guitar". I mean, what is wrong with a Squier? That was my first good electric guitar. Just before christmas I bought a "Burswood" strata, and I read a lot of reviews about it and everyone was complaining! I can't really see any wrong with it. Bought it for 50.. It's not the guitar that makes the music sound good, it's the player...
    Drapte
    Harrisfun wrote: not for metal? whattabout Slipknot?
    He uses one with emgs though
    oxymorcide
    zoomzoom wrote: one of the worst reviews ever. the amount of frets, type of wood and tuners and bridge dont make a difference?? What are you on??
    He got the ugly bit right though.
    cj878
    Metalology wrote: Features: 7 Sound: 9 Action, Fit & Finish: 6 Reliability & Durability: 8 Overall: 10 Wtf??
    lol yeah...
    zoomzoom
    swyg2
    agreed. ug must have nothing else to say.
    homebrew1709 wrote: FiNNi wrote: If a guy has only played guitar for 1.5 years, then why do people want the best most unbiased, critical, knowledgable review from him? No bullying I think the issue is: why does UG even feature a review like this on its home page?
    Nirvana00125
    Harrisfun wrote: not for metal? whattabout Slipknot?
    Slipknot's guitarist uses a custom made tele. i don't think its even a fender model although i could be wrong. but he uses humbuckers in it. So it's not a true tele. And IF he's using any single coils(which i highly doubt) it's a high output seymore duncan or dimarzio so again, it's not a true tele
    Nick184
    I like tele bodies but i absolutely hate the headstock on this guitar
    homebrew1709
    ibanezRGforME
    homebrew1709 wrote: I'm sorry, but that was a terrible review. I can't see why anyone would be interested in the opinion of someone who "started playing 1.5 years ago" and who claims: "I don't really know much about guitars, nor do I care. I found out that features such as how many frets or type of tuners and bridge don't mean a lot. I just care how a guitar plays and sounds." Does this person think that a guitar just magically sounds the way it does? The features, of course, are what make each guitar sound and play differently! There is just so much wrong with this review...
    lol ye
    Mustang'69
    i've played and heard G&Ls they are not higher quality fenders just made made by a smaller company that can't compete pricewise
    Colter
    IF this guy wanted to buy a shitty beat up guitar i woulda sold him one of mine for half the price of a G&L
    Jak-666
    cal?! wrote: well, the guy who wrote this is a tool fenders do play metal, well thats if you can call some of Biffy Clyro's material metal...if so Simon Neil plays a Tele and a Strat
    biffy clyro = really not metal.
    vagelier
    Rorok_89 wrote: chris8731 wrote: All right listen to all you "claptons and Hendrix's" giving your opinion on someone elses review. Its his review and no one asked you to agree or disagree with him ive read all this and cant believe that everyone here started playing the guitar as an expert... we all started somewhere and rather than ridiculing him and his opinions why dont some of you "experts" take a minute to help him rather than making him feel a fool for not knowing. Good effort mate for the review however when you bought this guitar you should have taken someone with a bit more experience of playing with you also maybe a visit to the library for a couple of books on guitars how they are made and the differences each part of the guitar makes and the relevance of this to your playing style. dont let these get to you you will get better every day and with hard work and alot of practice maybe one day these on here will eat their words ; Reviews are supposed to analyze deeply a guitars features. If all youve got to say about a guitar is "OMG it sounds so cool, I likes it", its fine, but dont make a full review out of it and post it, a comment on another review is more than the space you need for such an analysis. And if you dont want to hear opinions on your review, simply dont post it. I think that is the logical course of action.
    i was planning to do so but seeing there wasnt even a review for my guitar yet, i had to write my own to even discuss the guitar with other people.
    Seasons_Change
    Thats the thing about Teles man they're ugly, but they sound great! And as for the whole metal thing, it could work if you used all the right effects, and played it the right way but you probably would want a guitar with a heavier tone and some good pickups for high gain (EMG's, possibly).
    iH8CarAccidents
    I love teles. Such a warm, full sound. And versatile too. And I can see them being not for metal because of the pickups, but..... John 5 anyone?
    DIFTWOOD
    my friend hads one of these. i cant honestly say much about it because he used like .13 strings for some reason. But i love the tele shape and the pups are pretty hot.
    ishmonkey
    yea what pussypunk said and yes slipknot would be metal, and **** offf vagelier slipknots awesome
    vagelier
    HiyuKantaro wrote: This.. Its really good for surf&the likes, basically good for anything. The tele is very versatile. Its good for basically any style, And then this.. it ain't for metal. So first you tell us that the guitar isn't suitable for playing metal, but later on you tell us that the guitar fits any style you like. Please explain..
    i mean it CAN fit any style, but the "extremes" metal, or extremely soft (jazz) are not his thing. it will work, but get something else if you wanna play those stiles.
    vagelier
    FreekBos wrote: First of all, It's a good thing you told us you are playing for only 1,5 years now. Which explains a lot in your review. You will learn a lot the coming 10 years or so. The most important think in buying a guitar is that the guitar screams to you to play it. If you as the guitarist like the looks, sound and playability, its the guitar for you. I played a Squier Strat for 8 years! Tried other squiers but they all didn't work for me. Today (after several guitars, from ibanez to epiphone) I finally bought a gibson Les Paul. Is the gibson better than a fender? or a Ibanez? For me it is... because everytime I pick it up I feel like the best guitar player in the world. Isn't this what it is all about? Enjoying you gear? But of course, you don't want to read in a review how happy you are with you guitar. To start with, dive into woodtypes and what it does. Then read about pickups and their differences. And dude... don't drop your guitar... It may look 'street-worn' more quickly, true, but it will eventually die on you. And Murphy's law will ensure you it will fail during a gig. If you want street-warn looks... cherish it and play it and for 10 years+ and it will happen. It will look worn down not because it had some serious beating but it was enjoyed for a long time!
    i didnt drop it on purpose :p