ASAT Classic review by G&L

G&L: ASAT Classic

Purchased from: trade

If you play blues and country, this is definitely your axe. I love Mike Bloomfield, Steve Cropper and Billy Gibbons so this guitar did not disappoint when I tried their styles out. If you want to venture out into jazz, aggressive rock and perhaps even metal, I would most certainly recommend seeking out the G&L Comanche. At the end of the day, the ASAT Classic is far superior to the Fender American Standard Tele.

It's a perfect match for the styles that I play and if it were stolen or lost I would do everything in my power to replace it. It has been said that construction of G&L instruments are how Fender instruments used to be made. With my experience with the ASAT Classic and Vintage Fenders, I could not find that statement to be more true. The ASAT Classic along with the other members of the G&L family of products are fantastic displays of American Craftsmanship, continuing the rich Legacy of one of the best guitar luthiers known to man. Used American G&Ls are super cheap too if you're in the market and I consider G&L to be the best kept secret in electric guitars and basses.

This thing is a total workhorse and so well-built. Very dependable, it's almost 10 years old according to the manufacturing number and it's in mint condition. I'm very impressed with how well this instrument is built and how well it has held up. It's versatile really for anything you wanna do musically (i.e. Live-work, studio-work etc...). I rarely have to tune it also.

The guitar belonged to someone else prior to me so the set-up was great and played-in a little bit. I really have no complaints in this category but the finish is nothing to write home about. However I have played new G&L's in the store and they sound just as great.

I traded my Fender American Standard Strat for a gorgeous, candy apple red ASAT Classic after falling in love with the tone of Steve Cropper. After some research, I learned that G&L was in fact another company started by Leo Fender a few years prior to his death. The best part of the story is that he took his original designs and improved them ten fold. Everything on my ASAT Classic is standard with a rosewood fretboard and standard pickups. It's essentially just like a Fender Telecaster so the features aren't anything of a revelation except that the pickups have much better output and electronics are a big improvement over current-day Fender products.