ASAT Special review by G&L

G&L: ASAT Special

Purchased from: Craigslist

I got this through a Craigslist trade, it's California born and I believe the year is 2011. It has a Swamp Ash body with a clear blonde finish. The neck is Hard Rock Maple, with a Rosewood fingerboard (medium jumbo frets). It's a tele style shape, but has two MFD single coils (similar to P90s) as opposed to the standard tele setup. It has a three way toggle, but the pickups are reverse wound so that the hum is cancelled in the middle position. Also, it sports a high mass chromed bridge that was designed to get the most tone and sustain out of the body end-grain. Came with an excellent softshell case and a crappy bumper sticker that fell apart after two or three months on my car.

I play pop, rock, and classic rock. It does those types of styles great. It is noisy because of the high output single coils, but I usually leave it in the middle position so this is no prob. The thing is a tone monster. The neck pickup is meaty and throaty, with the pickups combined it's just about perfect for cleans with maybe a little dirt, and the bridge on it's own is pretty brash (though not icepick shrill like some Teles). Other than the noise (which is to be expected from a P90 type pickup), I've not a complaint.

N/A... I got this used through a trade, so I don't know what the original owner had changed. I've heard wonderful things about how these show up stock from Fullerton, California, so I'm going to assume not much. I will say that when I got it it was perfect in every way, and according to specifications. As I said earlier, the body is Swamp Ash, and I can see through the light colored tint finish that the bookmatched top is fine. There were no flaws from the factory that I can comment on at all. All things were as I expected from this company.

This guitar is an overbuilt beast. It will last. The one problem I have had with this guitar, however, is the output jack. For some reason they install a jack that is held into the body through friction only. After taking it out once or twice to check on a signal dropping issue (that didn't even turn out to be the guitar's fault), it was stripped and would no longer fit without gluing shims (which I did NOT want to do). I had to pay someone to install an electrosocket in it's place, which is better anyway. Why aren't more manufacturers using electrosockets?

I've been playing and gigging for over 10 years. Although I've played some bigger gigs, I usually play at smaller bars and clubs. I use the G&L through compression, mod, and drive pedals into a Peavey Classic 30. Before you get the idea that those things make me feel better about the guitar's tone, realize that I fell in love with its naked sound prior to putting it through any effects. I love the guitar, I love its tones, and I love its mojo. The only thing I would change is the type of jack (which I believe warrants a knock down to 9). If it was stolen I would cry and play my partscaster for years while I saved for another.