ASAT Special Review

manufacturer: G&L date: 07/07/2015 category: Electric Guitars
G&L: ASAT Special
I love the guitar, I love its tones, and I love its mojo. The thing is a tone monster.
 8.5
 1,049
review (1) pictures (3) user comments vote for this gear:
ASAT Special Reviewed by: elliottsdad, on july 07, 2015

Purchased from: Craigslist

Features: I got this through a Craigslist trade, it's California born and I believe the year is 2011. It has a Swamp Ash body with a clear blonde finish. The neck is Hard Rock Maple, with a Rosewood fingerboard (medium jumbo frets). It's a tele style shape, but has two MFD single coils (similar to P90s) as opposed to the standard tele setup. It has a three way toggle, but the pickups are reverse wound so that the hum is cancelled in the middle position. Also, it sports a high mass chromed bridge that was designed to get the most tone and sustain out of the body end-grain. Came with an excellent softshell case and a crappy bumper sticker that fell apart after two or three months on my car. // 9

Sound: I play pop, rock, and classic rock. It does those types of styles great. It is noisy because of the high output single coils, but I usually leave it in the middle position so this is no prob. The thing is a tone monster. The neck pickup is meaty and throaty, with the pickups combined it's just about perfect for cleans with maybe a little dirt, and the bridge on it's own is pretty brash (though not icepick shrill like some Teles). Other than the noise (which is to be expected from a P90 type pickup), I've not a complaint. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: N/A... I got this used through a trade, so I don't know what the original owner had changed. I've heard wonderful things about how these show up stock from Fullerton, California, so I'm going to assume not much. I will say that when I got it it was perfect in every way, and according to specifications. As I said earlier, the body is Swamp Ash, and I can see through the light colored tint finish that the bookmatched top is fine. There were no flaws from the factory that I can comment on at all. All things were as I expected from this company. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is an overbuilt beast. It will last. The one problem I have had with this guitar, however, is the output jack. For some reason they install a jack that is held into the body through friction only. After taking it out once or twice to check on a signal dropping issue (that didn't even turn out to be the guitar's fault), it was stripped and would no longer fit without gluing shims (which I did NOT want to do). I had to pay someone to install an electrosocket in it's place, which is better anyway. Why aren't more manufacturers using electrosockets? // 8

Overall Impression: I've been playing and gigging for over 10 years. Although I've played some bigger gigs, I usually play at smaller bars and clubs. I use the G&L through compression, mod, and drive pedals into a Peavey Classic 30. Before you get the idea that those things make me feel better about the guitar's tone, realize that I fell in love with its naked sound prior to putting it through any effects. I love the guitar, I love its tones, and I love its mojo. The only thing I would change is the type of jack (which I believe warrants a knock down to 9). If it was stolen I would cry and play my partscaster for years while I saved for another. // 9

Comments