Legacy review by G&L

G&L: Legacy

Purchased from: former co-worker

I play pretty heavy stoner rock on my G&L in the C-standard (2 steps down) tuning. I replaced the bridge pickup for a heavier tone and use the middle/neck pickups for the beautiful cleans that it produces. The guitar obviously has a great sound for blues, the original, stock bridge pickup was very trebly and very clear. These pickups all have a very shimmery, bright tone. I play this guitar very simply, with a Boss DS-1 Distortion and a DD-7 Delay pedal. I switch from my DiMarzio tone zone that I installed in the bridge to the fourth position for a beautiful clean sound.

I love this guitar. I wasn't crazy about the sound at first, although I had adjusted things to get what I needed out of it. This guitar feels, looks, plays, and sounds beautiful every time. I've had the guitar about 6 months and am still shocked every time I open the case at the beauty and craftsmanship in this guitar. I would recommend for any Strat players or guys who like Strat style guitars.

This guitar was built really solidly. The strap buttons are fixed firmly. The guitar has seen quite a few shows since I've gotten with and haven't needed a backup even once. The finish hasn't faltered after many a night of my sweaty arm being all over it.

The way it was set up is the reason I bought this guitar. I knew I could switch the pickups if I needed to adjust to have my sound. This guitar, at least to me, really felt amazing to play. The action and playability was amazing when I picked her up the first time. The knobs give the right amount of resistance to your turns. I'm not a huge expert on guitars and have limited knowledge, but I had that feeling like I.

- 2011 G&L Legacy, made in USA - 22 Frets, pretty thin frets on mine. - Body is made of swamp ash with a toasted maple neck and rosewood fretboard - Transparent blonde finish - Strat body style - Bridge is a dual-fulcrum vibrato. Guitar has a graphite nut and string tree as well - Passive, single-coil alnico pickups (stock, my setup is a little different) - Controls given are a 5-way selector switch with three knobs, a volume knob, and two tone knobs. The tone knobs control treble and bass levels for quick adjustment in whatever room you're playing. - My guitar has two stock pickups, in the middle and neck positions. In the bridge I installed a DiMarzio Tone Zone S. - Guitar came with a certificate of authenticity, a parts list, and a really nice case.

atko888
    I have an Indonesian G&L Legacy Tribute and it has needed some work to get it playing right, body cavity shielding, and fret work, but this is a small price to pay for a guitar that sounds so good. A friend I often jam with has a MIM fender and the G&L blows it away. the hardware on this guitar is top shelf, not cheep Chinese crap and the pick ups sound so sweet, even though I play through a fender amp. G&L forever for me.
    itsjonnydanger
    I just got a Legacy MiI. I have mixed feeling about it. The neck cavity was poorly cut and the neck is set in a bit crooked. I adjusted it but it left a gap in the joint. The neck needed a shim to adjust the tilt, it buzzed on the low E all the way up the neck. The pickups, although MiA and all the alnico V stuff, are weak and thin as are all those classic Strat PUs. Good for Beach Boyz I guess. IMO a SC pickup needs to be at least 9K with a 500k pot, these are about 6.5-6.8 with a 250k pot. All things considered it is well made. I got it for cheap, less than 200USD.