Tribute ASAT Special review by G&L

G&L: Tribute ASAT Special

Purchased from: Croatian distributor

My guitar stile: easy-picking clear tones of brit-pop, and heavy riffs of Audislave. For the latter I suggest wider set of strings (from .10 or .11). I am using this almost exclusively with virtual amps (VSTs): JCM900 and Twin emulators, Native Instruments Plexi and FreeAmpSE, and a set of emulated stompboxes (SD1, TS1, PS1). I also seldom use the Zoom GFX 707 effects unit. This guitar sounds really convincing. Sustain is amazing, this is a heavy, well balanced guitar. A little more muscle and roundness than a Standard Telecaster, but very tone-aware, even when rocking with heavy distorsion. Neck pickup is softer, more bluesy, while bridge pickup rips it like nobodys business. Tone control actually works making a subtle difference in cleaner settings. I was afraid I wouldn't get enough groan without the humbuckers, but belive me, it's there. I'm not tuning it to D or lower anyway, so I couldn't get that kind of sub-roar. My computer set-up enables me to control the noise level quite well, but generaly the noise never gets in my way. I'm very satisfied with the sound of this guitar.

I am a singer-songwriter and a sporadic guitar player. I play it for 15 years but never as a dedicated player. I previously owned a custom made soapbar Stratocaster copy, and a basic acoustic guitar. I compose using PC and program most of the stuff, except the guitar. I was quite unimpressed with this guitar when I got in the shop, mainly because of cherryburst colour and pearl pickguard. But, Telecaster fan as I was, I plugged it in and was stunned. After that it didn't matter that they didn't have it in another colour. I didn't wan't to miss this one, even if it was twice the price of some Ibanezes I was checking out. I only wish I had bigger hands/fingers, since the standard Fender-sized neck makes some grips very hard for me. But Morello made that 'jazzy' hold popular again, so. This guitar really got to me, and I'm playing a lot more than before, the sound and the overall feeling forces me to. I would buy it again, OK, maybe in more "alternative" colours. It's a Tele with a unique character, and I love it!

I think it will last me a long, long time. It is only used in a studio, for now, and after 3 months I cannot complain much. It holds a tune, Switch works well, nobs are in place, and are mostly smooth, (volume knob does sometimes make a click in a very high amped settings). The finish looks like it could outlast ME (I'm 33). Strap buttons look sturdy and rigid.

The guitar was set up well, just a little fuzzing on 5th and 6th string, but some of it due to the fact that I am not that cleana player. Finish is flawless. No comparison with most Ibanez guitars I saw in the shop. Wood seems to be of the top quality. Hardware IS crome. The jack-in slot seems to get unscrewed quite easily (after two weeks use). Other than that, this is built like a tank.

Made 2004 in Korea. Telecaster re-worked in G&L style. It's heavy. 22 frets 9" neck with jumbo frets, ash body in cherryburst finish, maple neck with rosewood fingerboard. Pearl pickguard. Bridge: G&L designed Saddle Lock with nickel plated die-cast saddles. Pickups: 2 large rectangluar Fullerton-made G&L Magnetic Field Design high output single coil pickups. Two knobs, and a 3-way lever for pickups. Usually comes with a gig-bag, but here in Croatia it wasn't so. I just got the tuning kit. Not that disturbing, but it makes the price almost double the one in the American stores.

delizio37
    ksmash5 wrote: How much does it weigh? You would think with it being semi hollow it would be fairly light weight.
    its so much lighter than my fender strat!
    ksmash5
    masterchief44
    That's what I thought.... BUT, Ben Gibbard of Death Cab for Cutie used this live. Sounded amazing. + I could've SWORN it was a regular old Telecaster. I want this thing!!
    delizio37