Tribute ASAT Special review by G&L

G&L: Tribute ASAT Special

Purchased from: A "Sound" Choice

I play mostly Country, Soul, and Rock and Roll. I think is sounds great with it. I have a Peavey Valve King 112, Roland Cube 80x, Vox Valvetronix VT 30, and a Roland Micro Cube. Each amp adds a different characteristic to the instrument that just makes it even sound more enjoyable to play. The bridge pickup is not as bright as a solid body Tele but it still has that cutting edge to rip solo's. When it is cleaned up, it becomes a country players dream, it still has that snappy ness but with a hollow feel which is a very unique tone that is remarkable. When the switch is in the middle position, that's when the true tone comes out of this guitar. It has that "woodness" sound to it which makes it feel very backwoods like. Almost like that classic southern rock sound when put through distortion. The Neck pickup has a great blues vibe to it. When some "crunch" is added, it can have that Stevie Ray Vaughan type Texas vibe. If you play slide then this is the pickup you want to use because how clean and smooth is sounds. I have a Dunlop Wah 535q, TS 808, Boss Compressor, Boss fuzz, Boss Digital Delay 6, Boss Chorus, and an Ibanez tuner. The guitar does no lack tone when it is run through this setup. The guitar can get noisy at times depending how close you are to your amp and other electronics. When you have the pickup selector in the middle position, it cancels the noise out. I also on occasion will play Van Halen, Pantera, and Metallica and this guitar sounds great on those high distortion settings. I find that sound of playing slide isn't all there. I do it and it sounds good, but not as good as a solid body or a guitar with humbuckers. That's the only time it lacks in sound in my opinion. I also think that the tone knob is good but not great. Out of 10 I give it a 6 on the knob just because when it's turned 3/4 of the way down, it cuts out all of the treble. But, That can get replaced and a better one can put on for very cheap. My guitar teacher did that and it sounds so much better on his Tele.

I think this guitar was a match made in heaven for me. It fits me perfectly for the style of music I play. I've been playing for 6 years now and this is one of the best things I have bought. I own a Fender Strat as well and that sounds superb to but I feel that this baby packs a little more punch. I love everything about it from the tone right down to the finish. It also stays in tune which I am surprised for not having locking tuners installed on it. If it were stolen, I would probably kick the ever living s**t out of that person. I feel that these guitars a made better than Fender guitars. With Fender, you're paying for a name now rather than quality. At least with G&L you're paying for quality a reasonable cost. I would buy another G&L in a heartbeat for my next guitar. I tested out other models and they sound great as well. The only thing I wish it had was a G&L Dual Fulcrum vibrato and a B-Bender installed so I can get those classic pedal steel tones from it. Other than that, what a perfect instrument for me. Note: I don't believe in giving guitars a perfect ten because not every guitar is perfect for everyone so even though I feel like it deserves a 10, others may not. I'll rate it a 9.2

I've used this guitar live and I had people constantly coming up to me saying that they just love my tone. I would gig with out a backup but I always have another guitar with me. The finish is still intact after two years and doesn't show any sings of wear and tear yet. The strap buttons are solid and my strap hasn't come off yet "knock on wood".

The guitar was setup great. I had 10's on it but I wanted more of a fatter tone so I bumped up the gauge to 11's and it sounds even better. The sunburst finish is very appealing as well. No signs of rust yet, but I also clean the whole guitar once every couple of months to prevent just that.

Made 2004 in Korea. Telecaster Body w/ F hole. It's light. 22 frets PICKUPS: 2 large rectangular Fullerton-made G&L Magnetic Field Design high output single coil pickups BODY WOOD: Swamp Ash NECK WOOD: Hard Rock Maple with Rosewood fingerboard NECK RADIUS: 9" (228.6mm) NECK WIDTH AT NUT: 1 5/8" (41.3mm) TUNING KEYS: 18:1 ratio, sealed-back, non-locking BRIDGE: G&L Saddle Lock with nickel plated die-cast saddles CONTROLS: 3 position pickup selector, volume, tone FINISH: 3-Tone Sunburst with Pearl pick guard and Rosewood fingerboard Gig bag included