Tribute Legacy review by G&L

G&L: Tribute Legacy

The tone from this guitar is rich, and great for clean playing, even without an amp. I wouldn't recommend playing it without an amp in public places though, especially with other guitars being played around. Since the wood is more dense the sound can't resonate as loudly as lighter woods can, so it can get drowned out easily. I got to try it on my practice amp, a 15-watt Behringer GM108 and a Fender tube amp at someones house and there was a huge difference. This guitar's sound should be held back by a fair amount if you use a cheap amp. It's great for blues and classic rock, and even metal which is my main style of play.

I play classic rock and metal mainly. Lately I've started learning the blues scales so I've been doing some blues licks to and they sound delicious on this guitar. I've been playing for about 9 months, great beginner guitar. All the little remedies I had to go through were worth it for this guitar, it's value alone encourages me to play more. Great for all styles of play in my opinion, unless you're in a really hardcore/dark band, you should get the sunburst version so it matches the band theme better.

I've been through a few times where I accidentally bumped parts of this guitar's body to certain objects, but no very hard. The finish holds up pretty well. Regardless of how many times I've hit it on stuff I've seen absolutely no scratches on it. The strap buttons have unscrewed from time to time, so If you purchase this guitar I'd advice you to check to see how loose they are on a weekly basis or so, and tighten them with a screw driver if necessary. It's only gone through about 9 months of playing, an average of 2 hours of play per day and I'm already seeing some wear on the frets, but nothing too extreme that it causes significant fret buzz or loss in tone. Also, the locking screw for the whammy bar never shipped so when I tried using it, the bar fell out easily. It took 5 months to find the right size screw so I could easily use it without worrying about it falling out. Then finally the nut that seals the output jack came loose, it was kind of frustrating trying to put it back together so keep an eye on that too.

Just about everything was setup the way I would've liked it to be when it was shipped. No flaws, to this day have been found on the guitar. Everything seemed like it fit in snuggly during assembly, except for the Floyd Rose bridge, which was slightly unaligned with the pick guard. I'm kind picky about that stuff. It had moderate-low action and still does. I haven't had to make any adjustments to it. I've used the same strings since the day it arrived to my house (although I shouldn't be). I've cleaned them well, and made sure to make note of any loss in tone over long periods of time. I haven't run into anything yet, so they're very good strings.

Setup just like a Strat, only with the G&L touch. I've been playing this guitar for quite some time now, and have grown very attached to it. It's unique look and feel set it apart from other guitar players I'm around. The bare wood finish and red pick guard are really big eye catchers. It's pickups are of course from G&L and are great quality single-coils, you can cancel out background noise by using two single-coils at once with a flick of the pickup switch. The Floyd Rose it came with allows you to take the whammy bar right out of it's socket if you don't use it much or if it's getting in your way. The neck doesn't have any lacquer finish, so there's hardly any friction on your hand when moving up and down the 22 fret neck, great for fast playing. The fretboard is made of rosewood, and gives a great contrast in color to the bright mahogany body. I couldn't have asked for anything else, love this guitar.

Stampede
    It's actually just a $1100 Razorback. And besides whenever I sell it I'm going to buy me a strat. But this G & L is well worth the money, I absolutely love it.
    briman007
    i already have two strats, so i dont need a cheaper copy.
    False. G&L kicks Fenders ass, I take a G&L over an American strat anyday
    Ziggle
    Truth spoken. I just got a HSS version and it's simply amazing. Leo's G&L are, IMHO, everything Fender's should have been and more.
    Stampede
    This guitar is absolutely terrific. I picked it up at a flea market (believe it or not) for about $190 as a backup. And man i was amazed! It has since became my main guitar, I'm selling my Dean Razorback (Dean can go to hell, horrible customer service) and already traded my RR off just because I got this guitar. I agree the amount of feedback with distortion is the only problems(damn single coils). I recommend this guitar to anybody, experienced players and beginners. It has inspired me beyond belief.
    fenderboy20
    from what you guys are sayin it seems pretty worth it. i already have two strats, so i dont need a cheaper copy. but it seems pretty sweet.
    phoetwny
    wouldnt the g&l be better than the strat being that the makers of g&l invented the strat for fender,to my knowlegde between the neck and body is signed by leo fender ,ive had a strat and a g&l custom tele,and i luv to rock with my wal-mart first act guitar ,ive been playin for 1 year
    FuZzY(aus)
    ive got the hb version of this (has a humbucker in bridge position) i love it and all my mates comment on it