Tribute Legacy review by G&L

G&L: Tribute Legacy

Purchased from: JC's Guitars

I play rock, Indie rock, and experimental music. It plays it all great. I have had a Line 6 Spider II 150 watt that I was planning on selling after I bought the guitar. The amp has never sounded good. I plugged in the guitar. Normally the amp is supposed to help make the guitar sound better. The G&L made my amp sound better. Absolutely crazy. So full and no noise on clean. The sustain is pretty rad too. Harmonics are all in line. Compared to my friend's American Deluxe Strat, it is very close to the same sound. Very very impressive.

So far the guitar has matched my music very well. I have played guitar for about 5 years and own a Takamine from their Natural series. I wish I had known about G&L before I bought my last electric guitar. I had no idea that Leo Fender had started this. Sounds like an off-brand until you find that out (makes it worth researching). I only wish that it had come with the whammy bar, but it was used, so that was understandable. I absolutely love how radiant the finish is when in the light. Definitely would be cool on stage.

I haven't played it out yet, only for jamming so far. All the hardware has lasted this long, so I am hoping it will continue to last. There is normal scratches from wear and tear in the laminate. Strap buttons are right in place. I would totally gig with this.

I don't know if the action was set-up by a previous owner, but it is perfect. I put some Elixirs on it after slightly adjusting the saddles and it sounded sooooo good. Everything is put together so well. Pickups are still the same and have not been adjusted. I went through all the hardware when I first bought it and everything was in line.

Made in Korea in 2003 with US hardware. 22 frets with a Maple fretboard and feels great. Laminated top, swamp ash, with a blueburst finish. Very very pretty. It has the G&L Standard bridge. 3 single coil G&L pickups with a 5-way selector. The tone knobs control bass and treble, an unexpected plus.

stevoe1000
    I tried one today against an American, and some other cheaper style strates... the G&L Tribute black, pearl pickgaurd. it could get more tones than any of the others.. it sounded how I wanted and with those 2 tone roll offs, you can get almost any tone you want.. thick neck, no buzz, made in indonesia but don't let that make you think this is a cheap model in any way.. it sounded as good as any other 2000 strat that I have tried and i have been really looking for one and now I'm glad I didn't stretch my budget too much... the fretboard was natural, and was already getting a little dirty from other users fingers, not sure if I like that part but it means no wearing down of the laquer ...
    3135x
    I too, have been playing for 40 years and the Indonesian G&L (strat and ASAT) are so good, I don't want people to try it because I get a hell of deal on C.L. and eBay G&L's. Seriously, if you get a chance to play one for 5 minutes or so and know guitars, you'll be in on Leo's best kept secret...
    campacj
    The body is not laminated, it is solid mahogany with a maple veneer top. This is not a "beginner's" guitar. These G & L Tribute Series Legacy guitars outscore Fender American Standard Stratocasters (8.7 to 8.3) at less-than-half the price! I have been playing for over 40 years and I have not found a better value for a strat-style guitar! Buy with confidence and enjoy
    hendrix8899
    Hello everyone!!! I need your advice . Im going to buy strat style guitar but I cant afford USA model. Recently I found out about tribute series and as I see there are made in korea and made in Indonesia models. 1. Could u tell me what is the difference between them and which one is better. 2. As I see on pics G&L legacy tribute guitars have very high gloss finishes that seems to be very thick and that make me to hesitate, as u know thick finish hurts transparency and bright clean sound. If u have G&L legacy tribute guitar please tell me how it sounds clean, does it like traditional fender Stratocaster ???? Thank you very much in advince
    stevoe1000
    There was absolutely no problem with cleans at all.. thats what I was looking for, don't care about distortion, maybe a little od but clean was my main test and it tested amazingly well... rolling off the bass or treble is an amazing feature as you can really get the tone that you want...