Tribute S-500 review by G&L

G&L: Tribute S-500

Purchased from: Oregon

An incredibly versatile instrument. I traditionally play metal tones, but also enjoy blues and rock styles, as well as the occassional clean/acoustic sounds. The sound and feel of the instrument is what made me purchase the guitar, as I bought it at a time when I did not need a new instrument, and now over 2 years later I almost exclusively use this amazing piece of equipment. I play through a Marshall MG-150FX setup with an array of pedals/effects, which can make this baby scream. I tend to use the neck pickups the most, although the middle and settings are excellent for rhythm and Acoustic or classical tones.

I play primarily metal, but also blues, classical, and rock music. I have been playing for 12 years now, and this is the instrument that receives 95% of my attention. I have owned a variety of guitars, but today hold on to aJackson DXMG, Fender Tele, BC Rich Warlock, and an Ibanez RG350, as well as my first electric that I will never be able to part with, the good ol' Epiphone Les Paul Special. Something about the G&L just feels right in my hands, which is why I prefer it to all other instruments I have owned. I would buy this guitar again if something were to happen to it, or maybe update to the American Made version out of tribute to Leo. There is nothing I hate about this guitar, and I love everything about it; its sound, feel, action, reliability, and look embody everything I was looking for in an instrument, which is why I simply had to buy it after playing it only once. I would recommend this instrument to anyone, as it is an extremely versatile piece of equipment that truly enjoy playing every time I pick it up. In every way this guitar has exceeded my expectations, and I cannot imagine it disappointing me at any time down the line. And at around 650 bucks for the premium setup, I doubt there is another guitar that can compete.

This guitar most certainly withstands live playing; you could beat fans off stage with this axe and not damage the instrument. It seems so incredibly strong and solid it is mindblowing. All hardware seems like it will stand the test of time, and I cannot imagine doing much maintenance for many years. The guitar is not going to break down on you unless you go Hendrix-style and light it on fire. This guitar sees several hours of practice daily and there is no sign of wear on the finish; I imagine it will be another 10+ years before I will have to look into having it recoated.

The action is very fast yet sturdy, and great for tapping and quick movements around the fretboard. My speed is restrained by the rate at which my brain can make my fingers move, not by the effort to pick or finger the strings, as a guitar should be. Everything feels very sturdy on the instrument, and bends come very natural and slide effortlessly over the fret margins. The only flaw in the action as it is easy to bend the high-e down off the fretboard, although I have adjusted my playing to bend the string only upwards by now. The feel of the guitar in your hands is what makes this a true selling point, as the feel is so natural and confident, and the instrument seems strong. The clear finish makes the guitar look gorgeous, and the woodgrains Shine amongst the chrome hardware. All knobs, bridge, switches, and adjusters are very sturdy and all made of metal, no plastic garbage.

Korean-cut, 22 fret rosewood fingerboard, maple neck, swamp ash body, strat-style body, clear finish with pearl pickguard, tremelo, 3 G&L magnetic-coil pick-ups, 2 tone and 1 volume, 5 way +2 pick-up selector, soft yet sturdy gig bag, tools and whammy bar.