Cherryburst Review

manufacturer: Glen Burton date: 03/07/2011 category: Electric Guitars

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Glen Burton: Cherryburst
 7.7
 7.4
 10,090
review (1) pictures (2) 7 comments vote for this gear:
Cherryburst Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 07, 2011

Purchased from: The Music Box, Hamilton NJ

Features: This guitar was a find I made about four years ago at a local music shop, bought used. For the life of me I cannot find evidence of this guitar being made, I've searched online countless times. But since the company hasn't been reviewed yet on the site, I figured I should put a review up. The guitar was incredibly cheap for what I got. Asian ash body, rosewood fingerboard, rectangular inlays on the frets. Comes with two factory Standard passive humbuckers. Standard Les Paul features; solid body, heavy, 22 frets, 3 way selector switch, 2 tone and 2 volume controls for the pickups. Brilliant black cherry burst finish. As I've said I have had this guitar for around 4 years and I can still see my face in it. Non-locking tuners. Bridge similar to Gibson Les Paul models, probably another knockoff. Surprisingly fast neck for a Les Paul - I play mostly metal, and I can play faster on this thing than the Strat I own. Very good action. No fret buzz after getting set up. // 6

Sound: Alright, so to begin with, I paid for what I got in terms of the quality of sound. The pickups were something of a joke; I love to play with a lot of distortion and even at the 2 mark for most amps I would get crazy amounts of feedback. Fortunately, if I kept the distortion down or off, the tone was great. The clean tone was perfect for blues or any lighter music style I tried. This is the guitar I grew up as a musician playing, so as I moved from style to style, I found that the versatility was pretty large, despite the pickups' shortcomings. This year I put an EMG 60 and 81 in it, and dear sweet Lord this this is a Beast now. I'm currently running it through a Line 6 Spider IV 150 watt half stack, and I can crank the distortion to ridiculous levels and turn the volume up to half without getting feedback. Honestly I got scared I was going to bring the roof down before I hit that point where the pickups started not not work well. Basically, once this was fixed, it was a match made in heaven. I play primarily metal now, and this thing's perfect. With the amp presets I have, I can pretty much match the sound from any artist, from As I Lay Dying to Whitechapel. The tone on this guitar is great when combined with the EMG's; despite the volume and distortion, all the sound comes through very clear. As a Les Paul, its much heavier than say a Strat or an Ibanez, so if that's your style like it is mine, take my word that it works. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: Because I got it used, there were some things wrong with it when I bought it. I had to get the nut replaced because the previous owner must've been playing in an octave above E Standard or something. I've never had a problem with wear since I bought it. Also it needed setting up and a few adjustments here and there, but really I imagine the factory settings for this to be good, since I haven't had any problems since. The action on this thing is awesome after the first set up. Speed is strange to see working with a Les Paul, but this thing pulls it off. Everything else has been working great, and I've had no problems since I bought it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This thing's reliable for sure. Whenever I played live I always used this thing and it's never had a problem, especially since the upgrade. The tuners still keep it very in tune, even when left alone for a week or more. Strap buttons are solid, everything's tight and stays that way. I'm pretty active on this, playing about an hour or two a day, any it shows little to no wear. As I said, the finish is so good I can still see my face in it. // 10

Overall Impression: For my type of music, this guitar is great. Swap out the pickups and you've got a machine for heavy music that only costs around 450 total. I've played Gibsons that were 6 times as much as this that didn't sound half as good as mine does now, or play as easy. I've been playing for around 5 years and this thing was my first electric, and I have no need for another. It works perfectly with my Line 6 Spider IV half stack; that's all I use, and honestly all you really need to get crazy sounds out of this thing. So to sum up; swap out the pickups if you like heavy music, or need to use it live. However, everything else is absolutely mind blowing for the price. If it were stolen, I would find the guy who did it and seek horrible retribution. // 8

More Glen Burton reviews rating category latest review