Freeway Classic review by Godin

Godin: Freeway Classic

Price paid: C$ 550

Purchased from: Belle Air Music

I play a lot of rock and classic rock. Used through a Peavey Bandit 112 (very nice amp), the dirty/distorted sounds aren't spectacular. Clean it up, and this thing just blows me away. Simply incredible clean tones, any pickup: bridge humbucker, single coil, and neck 'bucker, any combo of those produces excellent clean tones, from a fat humbucker low end tone, to a crunchy clean, to a very Eddie Van Halen in "Can't Stop Lovin' You" almost acoustic sounding tone. Noisy on the single coil when distortion is on, but that is to be expected from any single coil.

This guitar suits my style perfectly. I have played for 8 years and counting, and own an 02 Godin SD, a Fender Frontman 25R, and a Peavey Bandit 112 in addition to this guitar. This guitar blows away any competition in the price range and challenges other thousands more. If it were stolen, I would extract my vengeance on the guy Who stole it and replace it with either another Godin Freeway Classic, or just another Godin. Great company. I love it's aesthetics, but it could use a 24 fret neck! Overall, a fantastic guitar. If you are thinking of getting it, don't even think; just do it!

This guitar has already withstood Live playing, but I will always use a backup now that I have one (my old SD). If I didn't have a backup I would trust it completely. The hardware NOW seems like it will last. When I went to change the stock set of strings, a screw came flying off and was not recovered. Belle Air found me a replacement screw and shipped it to a convenient location. A month later, the strap button finally came right out and had to be re-drilled. I wish I could rate this higher, as I believe the strap button was a dud. I have read about the same thing happening to Fender Stratocasters.

Guitar came right out of the box at the store, never been played. Factory set-up very well. Haven't changed a thing, but am considering making the springs for whammy a little looser, but that does not seem worth it considering how much I use whammy. Pickups set very low, which is how I like them, and the top is beautiful. No flaws aesthetically. Strap button was loose from start, but more on that later.

A 2008 Freeway Classic, assembled in the USA from part hand crafted in Canada. 22 fret medium jumbo frets on a 25.5" scale neck. Very nice flame maple top that looks like a quilt/flame hybrid. Maple neck and silver leaf maple body with poplar wings. Volume, tone, 5 way selector, Godin pickups, non-locking tuners, free gig bag. All very nice.

Chiubacca
    This guitar is fantastic! I just got mine today and got it brand new for a great price of $375. It definitely is not going to be the best guitar money can buy but it definitely is a higher mid-grade guitar. This guitar has a great tone to it and it just feels great to shred on it. Its fairly easy to play on. Probably the best bang for your buck if you're a mid-grade player. Feels alot like an Ibanez and more specifically the Ibanez RG series. It has a great tone a
    Paul Tauterouff
    I picked up one of these used for my teaching studio and the guitar is top-notch. It plays well and it beautiful to look at. The bridge pickup is not very high output, but the overal tone of the guitar is nice otherwise.
    fosdaddy
    its quite awesome for the price althoe a PRS Custome would be nice this guitar is amazing iv had it for 2 years i play all genres and i was surprised on how well it performed in the death metal.
    Universal Mind
    I own this guitar and it is of the highest quality. The guitar looks great and feels great. I am shocked at some of the prices these things are selling for. My friend has an Axis Musicman, and my Godin plays every bit as well as the musicman, and souns just as good. I almost feel guilty at paying such a low price for mine. These guys at Godin are really truning out some top notch guitars.
    flyfshr
    I got an 05' freeway classic with the rosewood fretboard and lightburst flame maple at a music store used for $300. I think someone bought it, put it in the closet and never touched it, not a scratch on it and still had the qc tag hanging of the headstock. brand new really, my godin redline hb needed a friend
    elephantboy23
    I was watching 'How It's Made on Saturday morning. They were making Godin guitars and I'm hitting the DVR rewind over and over thinking 'Wow! That's some fine craftsmanship! I want one but probably can't afford it. Well, Monday morning while surfing the net at work I check out ebay and there's a beautiful blue flame Freeway Classic with the original gigbag and no chips or damage. I ask the guy if I could have it for $250 delivered and he says 'sure'. It came 2 days later and I am so incredibly impressed! I had a Carvin custom made which I love, esp. the SS frets. But for the money, this Godin is incredible. I can't believe I got such a beautiful, fine instrument for $250! Yeah, I'm happy with it!