G4000 Review

4,028
review (1) pictures (2) user comments vote for this gear:
G4000 Reviewed by: thebat, on april 30, 2015

Purchased from: pawnbrokers

Features: Handcrafted in Canada assembled in the USA, made in 1996.

• laminated top
  • either Silver leaf Body, maple or Limewood depending on what you read
  • The body is a thin polyurethane (black)
  • Rock maple neck, neck is nitrocellulose lacquer
  • Maple Fretboard
  • Schaller 2000 tremolo
  • earvana nut
  • 24 frets dot inlays
  • 1 humbucker 2 single coils
  • 5 way selector switch
  • Schaller tuners
  • 24'' 3/4 neck length
It is unique in that is a called a superstrat but has Gibson scale length neck on it. Not really a strat though with the top horn extra long and the bottom horn extra short compared to a strat. // 7

Sound: This guitar is suited for more hard rock than anything. It can pull off neoclassical and heavy metal but it doesn't look the part. I do a lot of neoclassical sweep arpeggios and it is good for that in fact I deemed it my Ron Jarzembek guitar for some of his Spastic Ink stuff. Someone else said this guitar has a real Eric Johnson tone to it which is sort of where it falls in the sonic tone range. Great for smooth legato noodling. The neck is extremely easy to play on and it has the unique feature of having a Gibson neck length on a strat style body even though the G4000 has a weird overlong top horn and a cut off bottom horn some think it is ugly others don't mind the look once you play it. The selector switch works fine and the Humbucker is pretty crunchy when you crank your amp. Great sustain. I use a Carvin XV 212 old valve amp and no effects just the gain and reverb on the amp. The G4000 can deliver Blackmore power chords ala "Speed King" etc and is nice for that intricate solo work of say Vinnie Moore etc. The neck is not super wide so the strings are closer together than say on a Jackson but not as much as say a B.C. Rich Ironbird. The variety of tones on this guitar is really good it has a very strat sound with the 2 single coils but a bit beefer with the Humbucker. It has what some would describe as a warm sound with a little bite to it to cut through. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I got this second hand and tweaked it I would like to get some of the strings a touch closer to the fret board but have to dig out a tiny allen key to do it. Even after I did do this after finding my allen key the strings seem to sit not as flat as they do on my Yamaha RGC but I would say that is a fretboard radius preference. However I would say with the Scahller trem it is easy to adjust string height over all. The trem itself is surprisingly good. You can pull back on it which is great and I would say it gives you the pull back of a Floyd even though it looks quite modest for a tremolo. Stays in tune too even without a locking nut. The trem sits really well on/in the body and is recessed very well.  For whatever reason 3 of the tuning pegs have been replaced on mine and I noticed a crack on one of the Schaller tuning pegs I think this is very rare though as I have only read good reviews on this guitar and the hardware on it. Other than that this guitar is near flawless, The maple neck is excellent wood with a great finish. The fretboard itself is great to whizz around on. The Selector switch is a little crackly but I notice on a few of my guitars this happens to me not keeping them clean So it not really a hardware issue. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I tend to not play live but read one review where a gigging musco said he took 4 guitars on stage and would even put this ahead of a bolt on Carvin Kit guitar he had. I cannot vouch for that since I don't own a Carvin but high praise indeed. It is durable though and is a workhorse guitar. The strap buttons are the strap lock type not sure if this is standard or not. It is now ten years old and is in great condition. The finish on the neck is amazing the quality of the maple is very high. Even the headstock has beautiful maple which really adds to the uniqueness of this guitar. // 8

Overall Impression: A great beast for shredding and Hard rock more so than metal but you would get away with in a metal band due to the shred factor of it and the unique shape would make you stand out. I have been playing for over 20 years and have a Fender HM Strat, Heartfield, Jacksons, Charvels, Peaveys, Kramers, B.C. Richs. I think in terms of neck and fingerboard it sort of reminds me of my Ironbird in terms of feel and maybe my Jackson PC3 although my PC3 is ahead of the Godin in terms of string closeness to fretboard but that is more of a set up issue.

There isn't much to dislike about this guitar I have a personal preference for humbuckers in the bridge for soloing but this single coil just about matches the humbucker for volume but does have a single coil twang to it. It is real comfortable to play and does not weigh a ton. The neck is awesome on it and been a shorter scale length than a strat means you can cover more frets with ease so it is great for solo work outs and shredding. The fretboard radius is a hard to find out but it may be a 12" whereas I think I prefer a bigger radius certainly my Yamaha RGZ seems better set up but it all personal preference. I tend to actually pick up my different guitars when reviewing and play exactly the same thing on each that mention then give my opinion.

I have always wanted a Godin due to the high quality build of these instruments and found one in a Pawn Shop and bought it straight away. It sits neatly among my Jacksons and is a cool guitar to pull out for smooth shred type things or offbeat stuff like spastic Ink because of the tonal variation it offers. // 8

Comments