LG Hmb review by Godin

Godin: LG Hmb

Purchased from: Music Park Perth

I tried all sorts when I dropped into the music store. I was actually shopping for my first electric, been playing acoustic for a few years. Anyway I was trying Washburns, Ibanezs, Yamahas and even the PRS Tremonti which is nice too but the Godin really stood out. Nice rich tone which can be accredited to the moahogany body and the sustain. The humbuckers are split so you can get pretty close to single coil sounds when you want to. Obviously not true coil sound but close enough. I play through a crappy 15 watt something-or-other amp which doesn't really do the Godin justice sound wise but it still shines through. When I plug into my guitar tutor's 100 watt Marshall stack the tone really does blow you away. I know this sounds like an ad but I am really impressed with this baby. I play a wide range of stuff, rock, blues, jazz, even metal and it excels at everything. You'd probably wanna get a good amp though coz as soon as it is plugged in it wants to scream!

This is all I'm looking for in an electric guitar. The sound is awesome and I can see it laasting me long into the future. Man I can't wait until it is played in, gonna be awesome! You might wanna change the action when you get it, or swap the tuners for something else but I am quite happy with it.

This guitar is built like a tank. I know it sounds cliche but it is so solid I don't forsee anything happening to it in the near future anyway. I bumped the body on a door frame and instead of scratching or flaking like I've seen others do, it just bounced off. All I'm left with is a little dent. The Godin guys really have something going on. I wouldn't gig without a backup but that is just common sense. I definetly wouldn't use the backup. There was also a twelve month warranty which is nice.

The factory set-up was faultless. Action was just right for me, maybe a bit high for others but it feels like an acoustic which I am at home with. I spose that is why they have earned the reputation as a bad shredder but I can't shred anyway so it doesn't matter. And it might be a minor thing but when I put my hands close to my pickups, which you can't really help, because the humbuckers are metal plated, they go all yucky sorta foggy and sticky in appearance. I know most people wouldn't mind I'm probably just anal that way.

I have purchased the humbucker version of the popular Godin LG model. It normally retails for $1099 (or so I was told) so I feel I got a bargain. It's got a solid laminated mahogany body (one piece), mahogany neck and rosewood fingerboard. 22 frets, string-thru body, one volume, one tone and five way selector: the humbuckers get split to give sort of single coil sound. The pickups are standard Godin models, obviously not top quality but they sound alright. Black machine heads, real solid but I can't say the same for the tuners unfortunately, they are sorta plasticky and a but fidgtey to adjust but once you get the hang of it they'll be good and you can always get 'em changed anyway. The finish is a natural type which is awesome, really shows off the wood. The other finish available is red satin which is pretty cool too.