LG Hmb review by Godin

Godin: LG Hmb

Purchased from: Atina's Music

I tend to jump around genres a lot when I play, but I was brought up playing the blues, and heavy rock. Today I play everything from alternative, to metal, to jazz (which I'm still working on) although the blues influences always tend to show in my playing. I also periodically jam with electronic music in the trance, and house genres. Despite the enormous variety of stuff I tend to play, I haven't found anything it can't do well. The sound is great especially considering the guitars price, and even though I am planning on retiring the Dimebucker pickup soon, it still sounds mean when I'm playing heavier stuff. I also play with heavier gauge strings (11s or 12s) which I've found significantly adds to the guitars sound. I play through a Marshall AVT50 when I play at low volume, and when I feel like being loud I play through my all tube Peavy Classic 30. Played through the overdriven Classic 30, is when this guitar really shines. It's heavy enough to sound mean, but still relatively rich in tone. I've played at a few jam sessions with buddies using solid state Marshall full stacks, and people are always blown away by the sound it generates. For effects I use a Dunlop Crybaby Wah-Pedal, a Dan Electro Cool Cat, and occasionally an MXR Compressor, and Ibanez Turbo Tube Screamer. The worst I can say about the overall sound is that it's a little bassy at lower volumes.

Awesome guitar. Nothing else to it. At the moment, I own a modded Fender Strat with Texas Custom pickups, and a well set up modded Squire, with another set of Duncans, that I keep around for drop tuning. I've owned many different types of guitars, but when held in comparison with my trusty LG, they don't offer nearly the same bang for the buck. My next guitar is going to be another higher end model LG, and I will be perfectly happy, and comfortable making that choice with much hesitation. They are that good.

This guitar is built like a tank. The strap buttons out last the straps I put on it, and partly because it's so simple nothing ever goes wrong with it. The finish still looks great, but after ten years of playing, and practicing, I've started to wear some of the finish off the neck and fretboard. I've had careless friends, and younger siblings drop the guitar, and knock it over, and aside from a few more acquired scratches nothing phases it.

Awesome. From the factory this guitar played flawlessly. The action has only been adjusted once in the past ten years, and that was done at the same time I had my pick up installed, so it probably didn't need to be done. This is one of the most reliable guitars I've ever owned. Even without the locking tuners, with me beating on it, and bending the hell out of the strings it rarely comes out of tune. Although it still works fine after ten years of abuse, I think I might need to change my pickup selector sometime in the next two years.

I own a 1998 LG. My dad purchased it new in a little music store not far from where we used to Live. I'm putting this in the HMB section, because that's what my particular guitar mosts resembles. But being as it's an older model, before nearly anyone had heard of the company, I've had a hard time distinguishing what specific model it actually is. It has a mahogany body, and bolt on mahogany neck, with a rosewood fingerboard. 24 3/4 scale fretboard. The guitar has a five way selector, one volume knob, and one a two way tone knob. A Godin hard case came with the guitar at the time of purchase. The bridge is the type that anchors the strings in the back of the of the guitar, and goes through the body. I believe the color is Trans Red Gloss, although mine looks a bit darker than the images I've seen of this color. I have never actually seen another LG in person. None of The Music stores within fifty miles of here carry Godin electric guitars anymore, and the only guitars by Godin I've seen since have been acoustics. If you're looking for a guitar with exclusivity, a Godin is a very good idea. It didn't come with the humbuckers I always see in photos of this particular guitar. Mine front pickups are humbuckers but they appear to have two rows of magnets each (for a total of four), as opposed to the single row of enclosed magnetic posts I usually see on LG Hmb's. In 2004 or so, I had my rear pick up replaced with a Seymour Duncan Dimebucker which sounds great playing really heavy stuff, but I have outgrown it (I had it installed in when I was 17. Tone was not my main concern at the time). I'd dock points for the price, considering I've seen these guitars being sold used at much less, but since we bought it Brand New, and it came with a warranty, and a hard case I've got no complaints.