SD review by Godin

Godin: SD

Price paid: C$ 250

Purchased from: pawn shop

The Godin SD is one of the most versatile guitars that I've ever played. The guitar itself has a very warm sound, which is kind of a mystery to me since maple is a brighter tonewood for necks. On it's own, it sounds great, but the real versatility comes from the pickups. The SSH configuration is pretty versatile to begin with, but all three of the pickups in this guitar have a very distinct voicing to them. The neck pickup is quite punchy for a single coil, the middle pickup is smooth as anything, and the bridge humbucker has a high-output bite to it that fits the heavy metal profile. I've played this through a cheapo Behringer v-tone smething or other, and I managed to get some not-half-bad zepplin tones. I usually play this through a Roland cube 20X, and the clean channel really showcases this guitars' naturally warm timbre. On high and low-gain modes this guitar sounds great too. Also, this guitar sustains for ever.

I mostly play blues, but I have a soft spot for classic rock. This guitar responds to almost anything I want it to do, even when I'm feeling experimental. Sometimes I wish it had a fixed bridge, but it's not that big of a deal. If a Stratocaster and a Les Paul has some kind of weird love-child, this would be it.

This guitar is really well-made. The hardware is a nice durable chrome, the finish is tough, and the guitar itself feels like I could drop it out of my second story window and still play it. I sometimes have toddlers come to my house, and I don't get nervous when they play with this guitar.

I can't comment on the factory side of things, seeing as I got this guitar from a pawn shop, but it really feels great in my hand. The neck is shaped in such a way that chording, single notes, and bending are all easy to do. It's a very solidly built guitar, overall.

The Godin SD is a Canadian-made guitar with 24 frets, SSH pickup config, and a body that looks like a cross between a Telecaster and a Les Paul junior. It has a maple neck, a Vintage style tremolo, 1 master volume and 1 master tone, 5 way pickup selector, and non-locking tuners. I really dig the 24 frets and the SSH configuration, but I'm not too big on the vintage-style trem. It goes out of tune fairly easily and takes a different kind of bar than the Standard Fender types, so good luck trying to find a replacement if you lose it. The tuners aren't anything special either. These flaws by no means make the guitar unplayable, and most Standard strats have the same problems, so I'd say it's a fairly Standard guitar in terms of features.

Teeder
    Nice guitar, $300 or so from Long and McQuade. Versatile with a great fretboard. Easy and fun to play, this is my practice guitar and because it is so comfortable I play more. I also have an LP for gigs and use the Godin for any Tele or Strat stuff. Love it. Do yourself a favour and buy it. For the money it cant be beat.
    eliolop
    I own one of these. I paid a bit more, but still under $400. It has served me well. The whammy never caused me tuning issues. It has seen it's share of gigs and always performed well. It's a good buy for a little money.
    HTSMetal
    First reviewer -- "bird's nest" maple? XD FUKN LOL. Thinkin' you might'a meant birdseye....