Solidac Review

manufacturer: Godin date: 03/17/2006 category: Electric Guitars

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Godin: Solidac
The Solidac is the latest Godin model to offer the two-voice concept. It combines the sound of magnetic pickups (electric guitar) with a bridge transducer system for acoustic sounds. This guitar offers players the versatility of a humbucker-single-humbucker pickup configuration along with a transducer-equipped tremolo bridge.
 9.1
 9.4
 8.8
 5,548
review (1) pictures (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
Solidac Reviewed by: Claptindisciple, on march 17, 2006

Purchased from: Ward Brodt

Features: Mahogony neck, rosewood fingerboard, silver leaf maple body with lightburst quilted leaf maple flametop, 24 jumbo frets, H/S/H magnetics, bridge pickup for acoustic sound, electric and acoustic out, electric and acoustic volume controls & tone, 5-way selector, locking Godin tuners. // 10

Sound: This is a very nice guitar and I am very happy with the sound. It will play anything from blues to metal, but feels and sounds more at home with blues/jazz and classic rock. The bridge pickups produce a wonderful bright acoustic sound and the dual outputs allow you to choose between electric, acoustic, or mix. I love to place classic rock and I am working on my inventory of blues and jazz. This is an ideal guitar for a versatile player who wants a good guitar at a reasonable price. I like the H/S/H magnetics set up, but the single pickup is a little noisey. Overall it produces a nice rich sound on anything from Greenday to blues. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory settings on this guitar were just so-so and I recently took it back to be tuned up and adjusted. The actionon this guitar is great, although it does have a wide neck which makes for harder solo work, but everything else was very good quality. After I had it adjusted, the string height was excelent and the pickups were correctly positioned. The action of this guitar easily surpasses a Fender or squire and the pickup set-up produces a wide range of tones and styles. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This is a very durable guitar that I would definitely take on a gig without a backup. The finish is very good and does not ware easily (the maple flametop is also very pretty). The strap buttons are solid and the hard ware is good quality. // 10

Overall Impression: I really like this quitar, and it is an excelent match for me. I consider myself a beginner and this is a great instrument to start out on. I do wish that the neck was a little thinner, and that the bridge was aa little different. I love the acoustic features and the magnetics set-up. If it was lost/stolen I would probably cry for a few weeks, then buy it again. It compares well to other name brands despite being an obscure brand itself. Overall I am very happy with this guitar and hope to have it for the rest of my life. // 9

More Godin reviews rating category latest review
+ G4000 6.8 Electric Guitars 04/30/2015