GS1.5-40 review by Gordon Smith

Gordon Smith: GS1.5-40

Purchased from: Gordon Smith

It's so versatile - can do it all from hard rock to country clean and smooth blues/jazz. A bit SG like with the bridge, wind back the tone and its more LP, split the coils and its a Tele. Can be a bit too edgy and sharp with the tone at full, best at about 7 or 8.

I adore this guitar, it is completely unique as mine is the first '40' they ever made, it being slightly different to a regular GS in that the headstock is off the Graf model and it has a longer scale length (I requested this and they even credited me with this on the website). Gordon Smith also gave me a letter that certifies that mine is the first (and so far only) model they have made in this range. Very cool, customer service is exemplary. Gordon Smiths are truly superb in every way.

Its built to last. I don't gig but this would easily cope with it. I would feel safe without a backup. The satin finish may be a little thin and perhaps would wear off but I think this would take years and years of relentless gigging to do that.

It was perfectly set up with 10-46 when I got it, still cannot fault it. Fantastic build quality.

Made 2005 in Manchester UK, 21 fret one piece maple neck 25.5 scale length. Solid cedar body finished in natural satin, double cutaway with 1 tapped bridge humbucker and 1 single coil at neck (GS own pickups). Purcheased with GS gig bag.

gordon smith
    i have this exact guitar and it works for me although im not really that good. it's a guitar that you can receive at a young age and still think it's a brilliant and worthwile guitar when your an adult