Electromatic Pro Jet review by Gretsch

Gretsch: Electromatic Pro Jet

Purchased from: GAK

I play lots of styles of music mainly grunge, metal and funk and I have to say it handels itself well in these genres but is not as strong as as it could be in the metal section. It can play grunge suprisingly well though and its not hard to get a decent distortion sound ou of this guitar. This guitar though, being mainly a blues style guitar cleans up nicely and has a nice bright sound when played through my Vox AC15, I have also so played it through various other amps such as a Marshall mg30 and an Orange Tiny Terror Combo and it had a nice strong distortion tone and a good bright clean tone when played through all these amps. Although it has a very versatile tone the pickups don't seem to deliver the full sound so my amp has to be turned up full for even the smallest venues.

Overall I am not in any way disappointed of my purchase and think it is a good guitar for anyone who has a wide variety of music to play because it is very versatile. If it were stolen or lost I wouldn't hesitate to buy a new one as it has been my main guitar ever since I have bought it but I am planning to buy a new guitar very soon. The best thing about it is either the great sound you get out of it when just playing in my house or practicing or the looks because wherever I go peole always guess the price to be around 550 + but when I tell them I got it new for 250 there shocked that you can get that good a look and sound for the money.

The guitar can handle live playing but your amp must turned up full aswell as the volume on your guitar. I have had my guitar for about three years and it has only just started to develop small signs of rust and erosion on the control knobs and bridge. I will probably go another 2 years before I order and new parts for my guitar. The strap buttons have have have attendency to come loose so I had to use a larger screw to keep the in place but they do keep the strap on and can with stand the guitar being jerked around. The finish has lasted amazingly its been through alot over the few years I've had it and still no major signs of wear. I always have a backup just in case because you never know what can happen to be honest so its always best to have one even if your guitar is reliable.

To be honest I was very disapointed when I got this guitar as when I first plugged it in to my amplifier the pickup selector was faulty so I had to send it back. They did send another though which was set up perfect. It had a nice low action with no fret buzz. The pickups were fitted to the correct hieght and the Bridge was adjusted perfectly. I did noticed some fingerprints on the body which shows me that it had been fully tested out before being sent to me.

Purchased 2008. * TOP: Arched Laminated Maple * BACK AND SIDES: Mahogany Body, 13.25" Wide, 1-7/8" Deep * NECK: Mahogany, Set-In * WIDTH AT NUT: 1-11/16" (43mm) * FRETBOARD: Rosewood * SCALE LENGTH: 24.6" (625mm) * PICKUPS: 2 Gretsch Mini Humbucking Pickups * PICKUP SWITCHING: 3-Position Toggle: o Position 1. Bridge Pickup o Position 2. Bridge and Neck Pickups o Position 3. Neck Pickup * CONTROLS: Master Volume, Master Tone * BRIDGE: Anchored Adjusto-MaticTM Bridge * TAILPIECE: Gretsch G-Cutout Tailpiece * HARDWARE: Chrome-Plated * FINISH: Gloss Urethane * NO. OF FRETS: 22 * MACHINE HEADS: Chrome-Plated Vintage Style Tuners * UNIQUE FEATURES: o Neo Classic "Thumbnail" Inlay Position Markers, o Matching Painted Headstock, o Pearloid Gretsch and Electromatic Headstock Inlays, o White Pearloid Pickguard with Gretsch Logo, o Bound Top, o G-Arrow Knobs, o Knurled Strap Retainer Knobs, o Adjustable Truss Rod

Mattosan
    I have a 2008 double jet in silver, and I Love it!!!, but I have to say the set up out of the factory wasnt great. Strings were binding on the back edge of the bridge, one fret came loose, the Bigsby isnt a great fit as the guitar has a contoured top, which caused the lower horizontal bar to bend out of shape a little (I dont even use the bigsby much). Had to bend it back and put a washer under the bigsby where it doesnt sit on the body flatly. Three frets up near the body had to be dressed and the nut filed out a bit on 4 strings. played much better after a 45 set up. Despite that, I love it!
    julie73
    H4MBO - 5 years later - yes, the latest 5438 has TV Jones humbuckers tuned to 60's British sensibility and the guitar is sound modelled close to George Harrison's Gretsch 6120 so yes you can get the Beatles sound out of this (you need an Epiphone Casino for John's sound by the way) - the guitar is way more versatile than that though - on the bridge its quite twangy ala classic country rock Gretsch (Cochran, Chuck Berry, Chet Atkins), mixed pickups it warms up and sounds like George / Beatles circa Rubber Soul. Neck pickup is British Blues - warm, sustained, turn your tone down and volume up, add a little overdrive and you have Clapton's classic Bluesbreakers sound... so yes, this will do nicely for classic rock. Add overdrive / distortion and you can get a full LP sound also ala Gary Moore / Led Zepp