G5120 review by Gretsch

Gretsch: G5120

Price paid: C$ 800

Purchased from: McCauleys Music

I mostly play hard-rock and prog stuff (Big Wreck, Tea Party, Queens Of The Stone Age, Moist)and this guitar is great for this. It has a beautiful full tone with a bright jazzy sound when clean. I use a Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal and on a medium setting off the neck pickup this guitar has a great punchy and bassy lead sound. Surprisingly even with the distortion maxed it's really hard to make this guitar feedback. I've actually played Avenged Sevenfold and Tool off this guitar with no problems, this is off the bridge pickup with the tone down and it'll actually make a great low drone sound. Obviously I'm not using some death metal settings but off my gear which is aimed at hard rock I literally have to have the guitar touching my amp before it'll start to feedback.

I'm very impressed with this guitar, the sound is great, it's amazing quality work and it doesn't feedback like a mother like I figured it would. I've been playing guitar for two years and bass for four years. This is the best guitar I've owned and I couldn't imagine ever selling it. My only complaints are that it's a bit too thick and it's hard to reach the higher frets. I'm glad I went with this instead of the Ibanez I was looking at originally.

I don't gig but it's built sturdy and feels quite durable for a hollowbody. I got this guitar as a replacement from my old Hagstrom Swede and this feels just as solid (except it doesn't weight a Metric tonne like the Swede) With care I think it'll outlive me.

Guitar was set up perfectly, nice low action, great to solo on however I'm more of a rhythm player as I couldn't handle lead parts and singing at the same time. The neck is beautifully smooth and there are no flaws on the guitar. It's in perfect condition. Not a single flaw on this guitar.

This guitar is Korean built in august 09. It's 22 frets, rather thick at three and a half inches thick and a single cut away however you can't really reach the upper frets without having to really wrap your hand around the body as it's so thick. I got the piano black finish which is beautiful (shows off finger prints though) The tuners are rubbish and non-locking which is a pain as it has the Bigsby which will rip it out of tune pretty fast. I'll be changing out the tuners this summer. Pretty lame that it doesn't come with a case.