G5120 review by Gretsch

Gretsch: G5120

Price paid: C$ 600

Purchased from: private seller

This is the first hollow bodied guitar that I have both played and owned and it was well worth the money. I bought this guitar on a whim and after getting one the first thing I did was crank the gain and throw on the fuzz pedal and it still sounded way better than a majority of the guitars I have owned in my life time. There is just a huge wall of sound behind every note regardless of what you are trying to play, which is refressing compared to solid bodies.

Appearence wise, as beautiful as it is it really does gear towards a certain style, sounds wise in my opinion with a little bit of tweeking this thing can belt out some Lamb Of God with out any worries. Awesome guitar overall minus the clear yes clear pick guard, never understood that. Clear?. If it was stolen I'd be in jail. I can't really compare it to another guitar because it is my first hollow body, though I would recommend either trying it or buying it because you wont be disappointed.

As far a durability goes I believe this ting will last as long as you treat it properly, being hollow means(in my mind)extra attention so be considered for live performances. Though in all honesty I am neurotic. The hardware was something I was actually very impressed with, from the "G" engraved knobs to the strap buttons, which are surprisingly thick. As for with or with out a back up, personal opinion, never go with out a back up.

The guitar was set up prior to me buying it, so I really ave no complaints in this section. The guitar had no flaws what so ever, the previous owner seemed to be just as anal as myself.

Made in Korea unsure of year, full hollow body, two humbuckers, bigsby tail piece and a confusing at first combination of volume and tone controls, 3 way toggle.

Beatle2
    Hi I am seriously considering one those new g5426 electromatic silver sparkles, would I get early beatle sounds on it, as it seems to be more or less the same model as yours, but without the bigsby..I currently have the Vintage VSA590 CASINO prefered above the china epi casino as the VSA 590 is correctly joined at the 16th fret, but epi china 17th..but the vintage vsa590 seems a bit muddy & only seems to get the beatle bridge treble sparkle sound with the tone up to 10..so not much contrast around this..will this g5426 gretsch which I believe is the same as yours practicaly..give me better bridge tone contrast?for those beatle tones? Look forward to any reply if anyone has any advice on this..many thanks.