G5235T Pro Jet review by Gretsch

Gretsch: G5235T Pro Jet

I was looking for a guitar with a moving, clear, and sparkeling clean tone. I tried a Gibson SG Faded 3-Humbucker first (just becuause I love SG's) and wasn't impressed. I picked up the Gretsch out of curiosity, and was blown away. The sound is very clear and crisp, tune down the tone knob a bit and it becomes a refreshingly thick and warm tone, very jazz capable. Turn on the overdrive and the mini-humbuckers will blow you away with a roar unlike anything I've ever heard. Combine it with a Marshall Amp(like I have) and you get a very unique jet-like roar. It's not a hard-rock guitar, but for a great clean tone, and a very satisfying overdriven roar, it's great.

It's a tough, durable, great sounding, and visually stunning instrument for sure. I was looking for a rig to replace my hot-rodded SG so I could start playing more jazz, and this rig fit the bill. Best of all, the price was low enough so that I could keep my old SG! It's such an excellent guitar, I look forward to playing it for years. It is perfect for what I bought it for, clear and sparkeling clean tone, and the overdriven roar is an added plus for sure. If it was lost, I'd would absolutely buy another, if not the electromatic version, then the American made version. Again, an astonishing piece of equipment, if only it had a hardshell case.

Everything is very solid on this rig. The finish is solid and wears very well. The strap buttons are large and very sturdy. Everything is chromed or die-cast for a stunning appearance and lasting quality. I have no doubts about being able to play it during a full night of gigs. I'll be hanging onto this guitar for a long time!

The guitar was set up well enough from the factory, but I would definately recommend a pro setup. The pickups were well set, and the knobs and tuners were well mounted. All the electronics and switches work perfectly, and look amazing with their chrome finish. The guitar is very well finished, with a stunning black, almost piano like, finish and a strip of cream binding along the neck and body. The "thumbnail" style fretmarkers are very unique and stylish, and give the fretboard a very slick, almost unfinished look. The pearl pickguard sets it off very nicely.

The Pro Jet is American Designed (but made in China) with incredible quality and looks. It's got a Rosewood Fretboard with 22 frets and "thumbnail" fret markers, which are very cool and unique. The body is Mahogany, as is the set-in neck, but the top is solid maple. As for hardware, it's outfitted with 2 Gretsch Mini-humbuckers, an Adjusto-Matic bridge, and a slick Bigsby vibrato tailpiece. The electronics are solid, with single volume and tone knobs, and a 3 way pickup Switch. The tuners are nothing special, but hold a tune well, even with the tremolo (I will probably install locking tuners however). Guitar Center didn't include any accessories, and the accessory hardshell case seems very expensive ($220).

Gibson_Rocker13
    just a little curious as to how much this cost. im interested in a gretsch but dont have 3000 dollars to fork out for an american one. this seems like a guitar id play
    k1ng_pooh
    i have a Gretsch Synchromatic, im her third owner and she incrediable, if anyone ever want a real guitar pick up a gretsch
    MarkDenyer
    Just bought one of these and agree with the review, for the UK guys (and gals) who read this, mine cost 380 from gak.co.uk
    Mekon
    can you place a bigsby b7 on it? I hate the looks of a b5? And if so, maybe someone has fotos of how it looks? Also are the humbuckers good? or do they need replacement? : )
    bmr4933
    Depends on the kind of music you play. The humbuckers are minis so if you don't do a lot of heavy stuff, they're absolutely perfect. It has that really nostalgic 60's 70's rock sound. I have a question though. Mine is silver and I want to add full sized humbuckers to mine to get some more bottom end to the sound. Any ideas? I'd like to keep the look of the minis in there (chrome).
    joshuanorris
    I have just upgraded my 5235T with a Bigsby B7 and a TV-Jones Classic neck and TV-Jones Magna-tron bridge. I found you have to change your nut to a carbon/Teflon one and put lockers on if you're a hard bender of the strings or use the tremolo lots. When i got mine, the neck needed a little bit of releasing and the i had the action to suit my style. Also, the Adjustomatic bridge needed to be set up, as all the strings were about 1/3 or 1/2 a step flat and it was hard to tune, as the tuning changed from the lower end to the top end. But once i made these adjustments, the guitar was like something out of a 50's rock and roll concert and the $500 i spent on it was worth alot more than paying $2,500 for a signature series pro-jet. My next mission is to add another pickup, prob a TV-Jones Power-tron, which will mean routing out and adding more buttons and knobs...i want it to be like the Falloutboy(gay, yes i know - but nice axe) 'Stompomatic' series, without the crappy cut out button that they use. And its black, with all chrome parts, so it looks the goods...i will post photos if i can.
    Razot1
    its funny how gretsch gives you better quality (better even than gibson) for less money