G5434 Electromatic Pro Jet review by Gretsch

Gretsch: G5434 Electromatic Pro Jet

Purchased from: Sam Ash

Year 2014 made in China, 22 fret 24.6 scale length medium frets Maple neck with rosewood fingerboard hump inlays. Has a carved maple top on a chambered basswood body. It is done with a bound gold top finish with black back and sides Gloss poly finish. Body is a single cut similar to a Les Paul but with a longer lower bout (actually a Gretsch Jet body shape). Tune-O-Matic bridge stop tail (unlike vintage Jets which had a trapeze tail) Passive electronics black top flltron mini humbuckers. Controls are the usual Gretsch jumble with master volume 3 way switch and volume for each pickup and a master tone. Bridge and neck pickups. Tuners are vintage type but they stay in tune. Comes with a allen wrench. Give it a 8 only because of lack of a gig bag or case.

Sound is downright gorgeous. Bright and chimey with a full body sort of like the prized child of a relationship between a Tele and a Les Paul. The sustain is the best I have had in a guitar to this day. Notes can ring in excess of 20 seconds and that is with out an amp on headphones. No noise is great too the pickups are not that high output for those used to that they have an output similar to a stock strat pickup but the sound is why you have them and you can always pile on more gain since they are humbuckers. The unplugged sound is actually quite loud due to it being chambered and the combination of woods it is a great morning quiet acoustic

Action is quite low and very playable I am more used to Fender necks o I like a smaller radius but this works and with a little time playing it it became second nature. The vintage looking tuners do a surprisingly good job. I like the shiny knobs and they have arrows to tell where you are. The nut is cut just right and just need a little tuning out of the box the intonation was spot on. It would be a boon to me to have a nice gig bag or better yet a proper case. the neck is bound and there are no sharp ends sticking out. the neck is a chunky C shape not overly so but certainly not a wizard neck.

I think this will stand up to most normal playing the hardware is durable. With a set neck it is not as bulletproof as a tele. It does not have a reinforced headstock joint like some guitars have. I take care of my gear so it is not a problem. Time will tell how it lasts as far as how the chrome lasts on the knobs and bridge. For my use which is recording and playing at home it is great. Gigging I would bring a backup because you have to have a backup but I think ti will be fine never broke a string or anything else on it yet.

Beautiful looking guitar that really nails a lot of tones I was unable to get before. It sounds in between Gibson and Fender tones clear full bodied bright detailed tone. I find it had to believe that I got a guitar that plays looks and sounds so good for such little cash.

I play for the most part older style progressive rock in the vein of Yes and Pink Floyd. It covers the sound quite good back off on the tone a bit for a more Gibson sound. The bridge had a cool sort of twang and can work with the sort of slap echo you use for Pink Floyd. But the tone works for fingerstyle electric like Chet Atkins and for four on the floor had rock like The Cult or AC/DC.

eddbolt
    played these a lot on my search for tone and every time i picked one up my heart sank.No matter how much I've tried to like them because of their reputation I have always been left appalled by how toneless they sound and how horrible they feel. The fret finish is consistently bad, the necks feel rushed and the sound is simply dead. save your money for a real one or buy a reverend. The standard of guitars in this price range is far too high to justify buying something as dissapointing as one of these!