F20T review by Hagstrom

Hagstrom: F20T

Purchased from: Ron's Music

I tend to play metal music of all varieties, from thrash metal to death metal, and this guitar copes. It doesn't specifically suited to one type of music, it's kinda like a Strat: performs to adequate standards with almost any type of music; however this performs better than adequate. I have tried a bit of punk rock and even some accoustic-ish style riffs and the F20T's pickups deliver fantastic sound.

For somebody who has been playing over a year and a half, I have to say, it suits me prefectly, easy to play, comfortable and, unlike metal guitars (which was what I was hoping for, Jackson JS30 WR Warrior). I'm unlikely to put my own eye out playing. If it were stolen or lost, I would definately buy another. I have never held in my hands, a guitar as good as that. And, when looking for my new guitar, I tried a lot. From 50 Strat knock offs to 4000 Semi-Accoustics and Les Pauls, but the little 250 Hagstrom from a small shop in Darlington, won me over.

This guitar will stand up to live playing like I stand up full stop. Tough as hell, can take a knock or two, and has never had any problems so far as reliability is concerned. It's because of that, that I wouldn't use it Live with no back up. Not that I don't trust the guitar, just that I would never gig without a backup anyway, but if nothing's gone wrong yet, When it's essential that nothing does go wrong, seems like a good time for it to break.

I couldn't have asked for this guitar to be better when I got it. The action was just perfect, slightly lower than on the Strat, but not so low that it causes any type of buzz from nearby frets. The pickups are just superb! every single note is picked up by these. They are a thing of God, they are just biblically good. As for the finish, this is where the tiniest problem occurs; on the pickguard, there was a scratch, tiny little scratch, when I got it. But I really didn't care, this was the best guitar I've held in my hands and a tiny little scratch wasn't gonna stop me gettin it.

Perhaps not one of the best known guitar makes, but they churn out some fantastic guitars. One of which was my Christmas 2007 present, the F20T. It is something of an advancement from entry level, something between entry level and intermediate skill levels, though it is of extremely good quality and could be used at any gig with the crowd still begging for more. Mine came perfectly set up, with a comfortable action and I even got a quick lesson on the effects that the tone and volume can have (but that was a personal thing from the shop owner, since I seemed like a nice guy I suppose.

Aaron_Yeo
    batiboy06
    Aaron_Yeo wrote: Looks like a cross between a Strat and an SG. I'd like to hear how it sounds....
    +1. that color makes it like an SG. the bridge makes it like the strat. looks weird, looks nice.
    p3rs0n42
    Stevo, I can see where you're coming from. It does look a lot like an SG. the shape and, in particular, the colour make it appear so. Aaron, I can tell you, it sounds AMAZING!!! I'm hoping to sort out some recording gear and I'll get a recording of Bullet for my Valentine's Hearts Burst Into Fire up ASAP, I'll comment your profile when I do with the URL and you can hear for yourself.
    qotsa1998
    Looks nice. If a local guitar shop near me had any, it may be my next purchase. Altho i dont play much metal, it seems like itll do alot of genres well. It looks like an odd cross between a weird Strat copy and an elongated SG. I like it.And having a somewhat shorter scale and a trem like that, its somewhat boutique-ish.
    p3rs0n42
    I want to say right now that I bought this guitar for 250. Looks like UG.com doesn't quite know what a pound is so.. hehe. for the price it is an ULTIMATE guitar
    blackstratshred
    iv played this guitar,the writer of the articles guitar actualy and i can back him up when he says it sounds amazing and it is extremely comfortable to hold and play, tis a good buy kris
    oakn
    Hagstrms guitars have awsome QUALITY. I've played a Swede, Select Ultra Swede and a Viking and all are great. To bad this guitar has a basswood body, but there is an similiar model "F200" (that looks a bit more like an SG) which has mahogany neck and body, and it looks damn good!
    soupdragon
    My friend has this guitar and he plays it through a Squier 10 watt amp. I'm sure this is a very good guitar, but it sounds awful thru that amp.
    tommy57
    I have this guitar as well and it's quite a bargain. The pickups are the custom 60 which are used on the more expensive Hagstrom d2h. The neck is superb and every bit as good as the neck on the far more expensive Ibanez models. Hell of a guitar for the price. Set up the tremolo properly and it will work well too.