Super Swede review by Hagstrom

Hagstrom: Super Swede

I hate comparing this guitar to other's, because it really is it's own creation on it's own level, but for purposes of communication of its attributes, comparison will have to suffice. Now, People complain that this guitar sounds dark. Well it's a gigantic frickin slab of mahogany, What do you expect? of course it's going to sound thick, and godly. Okay, I'll admit under typical distortions it sounds a little muddy, but with a quick uncomplicated flip of the EQ or, split the coils, which are amazingly quiet, and it brightens right up. Very versatile. I play punk, classic rock, jazz, blues, metal, country, weird foreign stuff like tinarwen, I try to emulate Ravi Shankar, I play everything, really, that's not bragging I just do. I'm strange and eclectic. And I have been able to find a tone for every style of music there is that sounds similar to an already recorded tone, but the best part is is you can take it, and make it freak out compared to what "set standards" should bea, is it versatile? Think of this, take a Les Paul, make the neck studier, yes I said studier, I mean a real Gibson Standard or custom by the way. Take a Strat scale and put it on the LP, So you can get that "violin" or bell like snap to the strings. Keep the Fretless Wonder of the Gibson however for the neck action, Now take the body and make it solid mahogany and essentially an ebony fretboard. Use Something akin to a LP's Oddly genius cousin for the electronics, put in a coil tap Switch, Make the bridge bolt each string at least an inch into the body through a resinator plate, so acoustically the back of the body resonates as loudly as the strings, and yes, that is not a joke, It really does do that. I nearly dropped the guitar when I heard that. What you get is something more smoky and ethereal than an LP, but with the delicate womanly nature of a Strat added in. For the coil splits imagine taking a Strat, eliminate the tremolo, use a Telecaster bridge, and make the body out of rosewood, this is what it sounds like. As for humbucking mode, like I said, the LP's oddly genius cousin, with no intensity loss or lack of punch.

The only thing I don't recommend it for is punk, it lacks the highs a proper P90 or Telecaster would. It'll still do it though, and it sounds very aggressive, it just sounds too robust for punk in my mind. Very musically balanced output. Don't think dark or murky, think musically cool blues/jazz club smoky, as for metal, your standard metalhead will go for passives. The output on these is on the hotter side of vintage, about what vintage pickups would sound/ respond the day they came off the line.

I can't say yet I've had it for 2 months and I'm too skiddish to let it out of my house, but I'm going to assume so, this thing is built like a tank I won't put ten because I don't know.

Considering I bought it b stock and couldn't find a darn thing wrong, I can only imagine what a properly finished Hagstrom must be. The pictures at the website aren't doctored, guitar world even said that the finish is akin to guitars at least triple it's price. so I'm very happy with my purchase. The frets are well filed, god I'm not even gonna start, all I can say is there was not a thing wrong with it.

Serious guitarists worldwide are jazzed about the reintroduction of the Hagstrom Super Swede especially at such an amazingly low price. Brilliant craftsmanship is evident in every detail of the mahogany body with carved maple top flamed maple veneer set mahogany neck and bound Resinator fretboard with pearl block inlays. The queen of the Hagstrom line the Super Swede sports Custom '58 humbuckers with thick rich bottom end and warm clarity on top plus coil splitting for single-coil sounds. H-Expander Truss Rod All Hagstrom guitars feature our revolutionary patented H-Expander truss rod. Providing tension at either end and running the entire length of the neck the rigid yet lightweight alloy truss rod allows for very low action and a thin neck earning us our reputation as the "Fastest Neck on the Planet." Resinator Fretboard Yet another Hagstrom exclusive the Resinator Fretboard is an extraordinary homogeneous wood composite that maintains a strong fundamental harmonic and eliminates wolf tones. Resinator Fretboards offer the articulate sound of high quality ebony but with more consistency and durability. Silky smooth reliable and fast the Hagstrom neck is a guitarist's dream come true.

4949oz
    Anjohl wrote: No, I am sorry, anything amde in china is by default a Sammick. IE, it means you get a decent guitar body, you lose the right to protest losing your job, and you ahve to switch out the pickups. Basically, anything made in China is worth around $300 in terms of a set mahogany neck, since the body is a decent construction for a DIY guitar. Anyone who buys a guitar from China who is, or even thinks they are, a serious musician needs to get their head checked.
    I'm sorry does being a serious musician constitute having money? I'm sorry I'm a poor college student that can't drop 2000 dollars on a guitar and I need the money for tuition. Anyone that honestly thinks that you have to pay money and get something "not from china" to be considered a musician is just being a f*ckin prick. Imagine if the british said that about Leo Fender's guitars during the blues boom of the 60's? Seriously if you haven't played one just stop commenting because you can't say a damn thing about one until you have played it. You're just a prick that likes to flaunt the fact that he has "musicians instruments" and is too close minded to accept the possibility that anything else could be a good quality instrument other than the one's you've already coughed up money for. And if you haven't heard the pickups STFU, seriously that'd be like me trying to say EMG's sound like cold uninspired crap. I've only ever played Duncan's and DiMarzios, so I can't give it an honest review with my own opinion I haven't even touched it! And from the way you're talking I'll bet you've never even played a Super Swede and you're letting someone else's opinions shape your own. If it's not the case please state specifically unbiasedly in detail the issues you had while playing the guitar as to give possible purchasers reading this a better insight as to
    Jay Awesome
    Wouldn't recommend it for punk? That's the only part of the review that I wouldn't agree with. As I recall, Millencolin are punk... that's where I first saw a Hagstrom Super Swede.
    Linkerman
    I think he copied and pasted the "Features" section from the Hagstrom website, or something like that.
    SonOfDoom
    Got to agree with 4949oz--Anjohl is talking out of his arse. Check out the Hagstrom website to see the list of professional musicians who, according to dickhead, need their heads checking. I've got an Ultra Swede arriving tomorrow; and I'm a metalhead! Never had a problem with passive pickups...
    rfawarchild
    Anjohl wrote: It's made in China by Sammick, so basically it's the exact same as all the epiphone LP's, the Greg Bennet Avion, etc. Don't be fooled, a rebranded guitar doens't get all the charactertistics of it's predesessor's just by sharing the name.
    NOT! The new Hags smoke any Epi's ... In fact my new SuperSwede is comparable to my Customshop USA LP, at a fraction of the cost. I've been playing and own high end Strats/LP's/and IBZ Jems for several decades now and i can highly reccomend at least the 3 different Swede models Hag puts out. Opinions may be like arseholes but there's my 2 cents for all ya.
    4949oz
    Just to clear out any idiocy spread by anjhol,,, "As of 2004, Hagstrom has been reopened for the international market by the American Music & Sound and is marketing new versions of a great number of the more famous models from Sweden, being manufactured at a dedicated Hagstrom factory in China. The official Hagstrom design team have taken certain liberties with the designs, made some improvements and other deviations from the original Swedish designs" And in lamens terms, it is their OWN factory, overseas yes, but their own production standards. Like I said, I use comparison for education purposes, but not for "labeling" the instrument. It is it's own unique creature sorry for so many posts but this pissed me off.
    4949oz
    It's made in China by Sammick, so basically it's the exact same as all the epiphone LP's, the Greg Bennet Avion, etc. Don't be fooled, a rebranded guitar doens't get all the charactertistics of it's predesessor's just by sharing the name. Just because it's the same factory doesn't mean it's the same standards of production. Try telling me Gibson puts the same effort into their faded SG's as they do their LP customs.... Trust me, I know quality and this is better than any epi... And as for a "knock off" hell no. It is not "knock off" it's a newer and foreign interpretation of a classic design. Tell me that the dallas fuzz face was a knock off of a maestro tone bender. There's a difference between "knock off" and inspired by... And if you still regard it as a "knock off" don't underestimate the quality. Classics even have shortcomings to improve on, I list one later in this response, it sits in your lap MUCH better than any real LP. Who plays all the time standing up? I don't... Also, they jacked with my post... what I originally entered was this under the features: [ Body ]45mm Mahogany Body with 10mm Carved Maple Top and Flamed Maple Veneer [ Neck ]Set Mahogany Neck [ Fingerboard ]Resinator Fretboard with Hagstrom Pearl Block Position Marks [ Truss Rod ]H-Expander Truss Rod [ Tuning Keys ]Hagstrom 18:1 Die Cast Tuners [ Scale Length ]25.5 Scale [ Pickups ]2x Hagstrom Custom 58 Humbuckers [ Pickup Selector ]3-Way Toggle [ Bridge ]Long Travel Tune-O-Matic with Hagstrom Stop Tail Piece and 6 Individual Brass String Blocks [ Controls ]2x Volume / 2x Tone / Mini-Toggle Coil Tap Switch And as for the fact that it looks like a LP,... Yes, and no. because notice the body is thicker toward the top? not as voluptuous as mr. LP... Right? now strain your eyes, the bottom side is the contour of... A DOT!! yes it sits (cradles) right in your lap like a dot, and doesn't need a strap while sitting like a LP does. Just rides a few inches lower. Also, I bought this online without ever even playing one, and I was VERY skeptical, but VERY happy with it.... For those still skeptical, do your very best to try and find a horribly bad or negative review, and please post it on this page. trust me, i tried, and it's d*mn near impossible.
    4949oz
    ah crap the quote didn't work... THE FIRST WORDS IN THE PREVIOUS POST ARE NOT MINE!!!!! PLEASE READ THE WHOLE THING!!!!
    4949oz
    Also, there's a reason Mr. Zappa Sr. And Mr. Zappa Jr. both play one.... except, dweezil only plays the viking, frank used the swede many times and was a great aficionado of the company. BTW the "rebranded guitar" is what Dweezil plays. A brand spankin new Viking.
    4949oz
    And I meant your standard metalhead WON'T go for passives...
    rocker_01
    Vin2254 wrote: i don't think so. the first part of the review is definitely from someplace else.
    It's copied from Musician's Friend. Real sick guitar though.
    pitbull510
    so im guessing the name Hagstrom isnt related to Marten Hagstrom from Meshuggah?
    4949oz
    possible shortcomings of this instrument I'd Bet the bank you'd be one of the idiots walking around saying valves are overrated if you owned a line 6 and had never heard a tube amp before. In short, Money doesn't always translate to good tone, let alone musicianship. Buddy Guy is a crap guitarist because he learned on a modded cigar box, yes very, very intelligent.... So is hendrix because his earliest guitar or two was a danelectro... Again, stop replying if you can't provide helpful insight toward it's shortcomings and can't resist from posting your own opinions from first hand experience with it.
    4949oz
    4949oz wrote: Again, stop replying if you can't provide helpful insight toward it's shortcomings and can't resist from posting your own opinions from first hand experience with it.
    From should say without
    Hack42
    I play a Strat, the wife pays a Hagstrom Viking. Plays so fine. I enjoy playing on it more than my Strat. There's a select super swede I've been playing with down at the local shop Oh so deep and rich tone, coil tap for versatility and sustain for eveeeeer!!! me go buy tomorrow. sound is personal but I liked it better than..... And the quality of build is of the highest order. Remember when Japanese cars were 2nd rate...Things change and I can tell you this Chinese built Select Super Swede is built better than my American built Strat. and as good as any guitar out there. I understand they use the same tuners on all there guitars...my wife's Viking NEVER goes out of tune.
    The_scientist
    after doing much research I came to the decision that my next guitar will definitely be a Hagstrm. Unfortunately I don't have any opportunities to go and play those guitars in a shop, and I can't decide if I should get a super swede, a select super swede, an ultra swede or a select ultra swede. However I don't have any concerns ordering a Hag without playing it before after reading all those reviews. Can anybody help me? I play all kind of styles but mostly post-hc/metalcore stuff (which may sound kind of unfitting for this guitar).
    brynsank
    "but with the delicate womanly nature of a Strat added in"
    lol love it!
    gjovikli
    i have a '79 super swede. it's an awesome guitar! i tried a new super swede in a guitarshop this summer, and i didnt find the new one as good as the "original".
    brazosguitar
    I mean.... if I am going to buy my first electric and I am not worried about money as much as getting one decent electric to improve on for several years, should I get a tele, a les paul, a Gretsch, or a Hag? Sounds like the Super Swede and the Viking are both getting good reviews. I like all types of rock and classic rock type sounds and especially some blues rock / southern rock... I need advice and don't think I will be able to go try them all first (plus I am a lefty...) so I will likely just order one based on hearing it online and reviews...
    GreenDayfan445
    TheActor wrote: Ovenman wrote: Your review says "earning US our reputation as the fastest neck on the planet." Us? They mean US as in United States.
    Nope I don't think he does I think he copied it from their website so he means US as in we. HAGSTROM!
    nican69
    Just ordered my new select super,should be here 2morro, owned in the past usa Hamers,Lp's and still got an american strat. But also had low end guitars (Made in China lol) and in my opinion the Hagstrom is right up there wth the LP's etc at an amazing price....Cant wait for it to turn up now, countin the hours lol
    Cstrud
    I've owned a super swede for 2 years and it still turns me on every time I come down and look at it ...let alone play it
    TheActor
    They mean US as in United States.
    Anjohl
    jay358
    so this is like a knock-off les paul... at least thats what it looks like.
    yoa01
    Dave Gilmour wrote: Amazing guitar, my first electric.
    Ovenman
    chronichaos
    Where was this purchased? I can't find it for the $399.99 you have it listed as here. I wanna buy this guitar. Can anyone help me find it for that price?
    langers73
    he mentioned it was B stock..so it mustve been lower quality and lesser price.
    4949oz
    Jesus you guys attacked this post, but yeah, I got it b- stock and cheap the average going price for them now is 620 and up. Probably has something to do with market inflation. I did copy and paste the features section. I felt lazy....
    Vin2254
    NiK-117
    ive played one of these, and WOW. it is pretty damn nice to play. can't comment on the sound too much, as I was playing through a line 6 :S but it did sound great even through that.
    The_lizard_king
    yoa01 wrote: Dave Gilmour wrote: Amazing guitar, my first electric. two things... 1. i think it looks to much like a les paul, but seems nice. and 2. my quote isnt the actual david gilmore is it?
    i wish the real david gilmour was on UG but this guitar looks amazing. I want to try one.
    MeGaDeth2314
    Ya dude it's him. Didn't you know David Gilmour goes on UG and reviews guitars all the time?
    oakn
    I love almost all Hagrsms models, and I have the money, why aren't I at my local musicstore buying one?
    qotsa1998
    Looks amaazingly good. I really wanna try one of these out sometime. The review alone is good and convincing. I think i would buy one off the web after reading that. If i had the money, that is.