Swede review by Hagstrom

Hagstrom: Swede

Purchased from: Oshtugon Computers, Inc.

I play southern metal, with a blend of heavy rock. This guitar goes from heavy, to heavier, and then to straight out clean. Probably the best clean sound I've heard. I run this through my Line 6 PODXT Live, through a 2X12 and it sounds amazing. Through the boogie, this sounds like heaven. Sounds better, actually, than my B.C Rich warlock. I could not believe it a first either. I asked my other guitar player to try it out, and he said it sounds just like, if not better, than a Les Paul. Never noisy, with a full, rich sound. this guitar can make any noise I want it to. All of my harmonics sound pure, all of my tapping sounds great, it really can pick up any sound.

When I first got this guitar into the store, I opened it and instantly fell in love. However, I was worried that it would not match my sound, or compare in any way to my old guitar. I have been playing for 3 years and own enough gear to get me by. If this guitar was stolen, I would cry, and then buy another one. I love everything about this guitar, but most of all, love the weight and feel of it. Yes, it's heavy, but hell is it comfortable. Like I said, I compared this to my B.C. Rich, and it sounds better. I chose this because of the sound, and because of the tone. You can't possibly imagine, until playing it for real. I do not wish anything of this guitar, except that I had the money for more of them. This guitar is amazing. Enough said. If you haven't played it yet, you should. You won't be disappointed (unless you play it out of a crappy amp or something).

This guitar will take slips trips and falls to a whole new level. It can withstand touring the world, and come back still in tune. The hardware is solid, the strap buttons are solid, and I can depend on this to the end of the world. The finish does seem thin, but not easy to wear off. Haven't stopped playing it since I got it, even the pickguard doesnt't have scratches yet. Best guitar made ever.

The guitar was flawless when I got it. The action was perfect and the neck was set amazingly. Everything on this guitar when I opened it, was perfect. I have no complaints here at all. Action was perfect, pickups were awesome. It really sounds too good to be true, but it's not.

This guitar was made in 2007 (probably in China, but unsure, as it doesn't have a "Made in China" sticker on it). This is a 22-fret 24.75" scale with jumbo frets on a Hagstrom Resinator fretboard, ebony of course. The body is 45mm and made of solid mahogany. The neck is a flush set mahogony neck, with a 10mm carved mahogony top. Probably the most comfortable guitar I have ever played. The finish is like none I've ever seen. Well, I have, but only on PRS and Les Paul's. It is a transparent wild cherry finish with all chrome hardware. The ebony coloured fretboard really makes this axe stand out. The body is similar to a Les Paul, as was the original idea of this guitar. The bridge is a Long Travel Tune-O-Matic with a Hagstrom Stop Tail Piece and 6 Individual Brass String Blocks. It feels really great when palm muting, and is very out of the way when playing normally. It comes Standard with a 3-way pickup selector as well as a nifty little Switch that is called a "tone-filter toggle" It makes the clean sound asbsolutely amazing, and gives the distortion a little more brightness. This guitar has hot pickups. The custom 58' huumbuckers sound amazing. They resonate incredibly. For soloing, it sings, and for crunchy rhythm it stays true. Tuners are non-locking custom Hagstrom tuners, but I've never had this go out of tune. Even playing song after song, the tuning stays tight. Comes Standard with a Hagstrom "hag case". It's a hardshell case that looks like it was made from my grandma's drapes, but, I like the interior. It is a solidly built case, but unfortunately, I cannot get it in any other colours. Other than that, this is probably the nicest guitar I've played.

weretarantula
    Eurotrasher
    Brendan.Clace
    Les Paul Studio - Beats it Les Paul Standard - Closest comparable tone Les Paul Custom....welll... we all know.
    pageisgod493
    i got offered this at a guitar store and it just looked weird felt weird i went for and epiphone les paul instaead but is a fairly good guitar
    DavidRayT
    I played a Swede, a 77 LP Custom, and a Gibson LP Standard back-to-back today. The Swede was slightly better than the standard (It just wasn't that good. Awful frets, and the 77 DESTROYED both.
    RoadKingRick
    I now have 3 Hagstroms. don't let the made in China thig throw you! the quality is TOP notch! The Swede is one of the best guitars I have played in 30+ years (that's a LOT of guitars!) It hold up to Les Paul Standards any day at 1/3 the price. I bought a Viking to fix up and sell, and yeah, I kept it. It just oozes guality! And finally let me say that EVERYBODY who plays guitar owes it to themselves to find, and try out an Ultralux XL-5!! (!) This might be the most underpriced guitar out there (Ebay 200-260!). Like one of the guys who bought one from me said "People who understand the true value of Hagstrom's want to make the whole world understand".
    Radynj
    bhin wrote: How would you say this compares with the Swede Ultra? The ultra seems to have a thinner neck for playing faster, but I'm referring more to tone?
    I've owned both guitars, the ultra swede is a thinner neck and smaller body so it's easier to shred on but the tone is a bit...thinner on the ultra. The Swede has a really fat thick sound and an average thickness neck and is really close to a LP Standard for playability where the Ultra has a semi-LP shape but is really a metal guitar. (seriously you might as well have EMGs in there)
    bhin
    IcariumTheLost
    I too have this guitar and it owns!! I wouldn't have given it a 10 because the pick-ups aren't the greatest. I switched the pick-ups for some Seymour Duncan Black-outs and I couldn't be happier. Great neck on the guitar!
    eurotrash
    Rockn'rolldad wrote: Mine has quite a bit of fret buzz to, you could tryi raising the action or lowering the string guage. I personally don't mind the buxx so much because you can't hear it through the amp.
    Heh yeah I realized myself that it was only when playing without an amp, or playing through a 15 bucks Yamaha headphone amp that there was buzz. I not totally love the guitar
    Brendan.Clace
    weretarantula wrote: I can't believe noone pointed out the fact he compared it to a B.C. Rich. Only high end B.C. Rich's are quality. With that said, Hagstrom's are completely awesome. I own a Viking and holy crap it is one of the best sounding guitars I have ever played.
    I also compared it to Les Paul's, PRS's, etc...if you cared to read.....
    Rockn'rolldad
    I agree whole Wholeheartedly with this review. I own a swede in the cherry finish and I love.
    Eurotrasher wrote: I just got my Ultra Swede, and it looks really sweet, has a nice weight, extremely thin neck, and though I'm far from an expert, I really like the sound. But... First time I plug a cable in it, and take it out, a bolt falls off the cable input thingy... They couldn't bother screwing it on properly? Also there's quite some fret buzz, so I've gotta learn how to fix that, I guess...
    bera
    I am selling a white finish hagstm viking(1978). Anyone interested? You can mail me at bera@live.no
    Knarkfarfar
    The best guitar I've ever played! The sound of the guitar is great and plugging this to an Spider III really isn't a mistake! Tried this guitar a few days ago, I'm gonna save money for it easly! 10/10, would be 9 if it wasn't cuz this baby's swede just like me haha!
    Brendan.Clace
    Brendan.Clace wrote: Les Paul Studio - Beats it.. the hag beats the gibson i mean....**** Les Paul Standard - Closest comparable tone Les Paul Custom....welll... we all know.
    DieselFly
    I whole heartedly agree with everything this fine chap said in his review.I own 4 hagstroms(super swede,swede and 2 deluxes)and 2 american hamer standards.The Hgstroms sound and play as good or better than any guitar I've played(including $2000 les pauls).Total quality at every turn. I have to admit my standards are just a little more comfortable in my hands, but only a little(the hamer standard is an explorer stlye guitar for the noob)For the money if you want a KICK ASS guitar I urge you to consider a Hagstrom.....you won't be disapointed!
    clapton_fan
    you got scammed if you went for the epi. dude. this guitar beats it. ----- "poop is the one thing we all have in common" -Benjamin Franklin
    Brendan.Clace
    Yes, these are BETTER than people say.... phenomenal guitars, and you just cannot beat the price. As close to Les Paul tone as you can get, for sub-1000??? PFFT no question.
    clapton_fan
    man I got a natural mahogany finish swede for 350 on ebay because was b-stock, which means there was nothing wrong with the tone only a bit of grayish streaks in the fretboard. seriously great tone for the money.
    Stimpomatic
    i will be saving up to get a hagstrom deluxeF that i played at a local music store. the thing had an amazing, fat natural tone thanks to the semi hollow body and it took very well to a cheap boss overdrive pedal. hell, it even did high gain pretty well, and pinch harmonics were effortless. they want 469 for it which is by no means what so ever too much. the guys at the store had said nothing but good about Hagstrom and had heard nothing but good, too. the one i will prolly get is the black sparkle http://www.hagstromguitars.com/deluxef.h...
    AC-DC luva
    i love my super swede they are such a good value. id easily pay 1500.00 for mine to keep it.
    yurith
    i so badly want the one with the white finish, it looks just awesome and from what i read here it plays awesome aswell!
    V_mike
    Omg the hottest chick I ever saw in my life was Norwegian. Scandanavian chicks = totally hot
    rocketman1010
    I love my white Hagstrom Swede. My first guitar was a washburn x-series, real entry level, which was nice...but it just doesn't measure up. It sounds noisy and sparky, but the Swede just has that fat sound that takes a good song to a great song. It cost me $600 plus $80 for the case. When I came back for the case the guy said they had 4 guys come in and say "Where's the white one?" They ordered 4 more and sold them all. But anyway, buy this guitar when you are done playing guitar and want to start making music. Love it.
    luckyiam
    I have a vintage Hagstrom HIIB bass. I love it the best bass I ever played, has awesome acoustics, great tone and very nice craftsmanship. I wanted to get a new guitar and I have go with the Swede. This guitar owns your head.