Swede review by Hagstrom

Hagstrom: Swede

Purchased from: Cowtown Guitars

I try to play a variety of music, from blues and hard rock, to attempting vai and satriani stuff. This guitar covers it all, between pickups and the tone filter, you can get pretty much any sound. I'm playing through a Vox Big Bad Wah, and a Vox Satchurator into a Fender Super Champ XD, tone is both dark and open. With the new pickups and coil splits, any sound is possible. Stock pickups sound fantastic, just not what I was looking for.

One great guitar, sound great stock, but sounds even better with some upgrades. Straplocks of some kind are an absolute must! Highly recommended for any style of music. The tone filter, once you learn to use it right, will set your sound out from the group. With the addition of the new pickups, the sound is taken to a whole new level. Sounds like a guitar that costs way more.

This guitar has been in a few shows, and sounds great. The hardware is great and the tuning pegs look so cool! I bought this guitar from Cowtown Guitars in Las Vegas, and it was beat up to say the least. This guitar had a few chips and dings when I bought it, but other wise it seems extremely durable. I've accidentally dinged it more than once, and I can't notice any damage on the guitar. After installing the Cliplock strap, My guitar is nearly indestructible.

when I bought this guitar, It felt great, the action can be super low due to the very flat fretboard. The neck is thinner than a les paul's but not too thin. It fits in my hand perfectly. The finish and binding are great. I had to have the guitar checked out by a local professional to smooth out some frets that had gotten buzzy (when I got it, it was heavily used).

White, single cutaway, made in china. Twenty two frets, mahogany body, mahogany top, mahogany neck, Hagstrom's exclusive "Resinator" fretboard, which is something like ebony. The Swede also has a second three way Switch called a tone filter. In the up position, the sound is mellower and fatter. In the down position, the bass is boosted slightly. Hagstrom Custom tuners (non-locking, but stays in tune forever). Hagstrom's Custom 58 pickups (nice, vintage-y tone, but I replaced them with a DiMarzio Paf Joe and a EVO 2). With the pickups, I also installed Seymour Duncan triple shots for coil splitting. The Bridge is a tune-o-matic style Bridge and the stop tail piece has six individual brass string blocks. I also added a DiMarzio Cliplock strap because the old strap buttons weren't cutting it. After those upgrades, this guitar really shines. Later bought a case.

peterposto
    I've bought a P90 Super Swede a few weeks ago (June 2011) with three pickups and the famous Tremar (the Hagstrom tremolo). It was adjusted perfectly: fantastic low action, no buzz at all. All I did was to change strings after a few days, the initial set wasn't that great. The weight is impressing, roundabout 4.5 kg, some don't like this, to me it's just fine to feel that weight. However, I've chosen a broad suede strap which stays in place just fine (you don't need to correct the position every three minutes) and helps with the weight, the broader the strap the better. The handling of the guitar is great, perfectly balanced, either when you sit or if you're standing. It offers a broad variety of sounds, I'm fascinated everytime I check through the possible settings. The PU switch offers six (!) different positions: neck, neck + middle, middle, middle + bridge, neck + bridge, bridge. In addition tone adjustment for every single PU and a master volume. So, start experimenting Yes, I love my Hagstrom guitar, there's nothing to it I would like to be altered, it comes so nice with all the chrome and silvery inlays and things, to me it's just the perfect lady from Sweden