Ultra Swede review by Hagstrom

Hagstrom: Ultra Swede

I play alot of pop-punk, hardcore and easycore! Offcourse I also play some classic rock or just regular hard rock or heavy metal! It suits my pop-punk, hardcore thing really really good! Together with my Marshall JCM 2000 i got the tone and sound I had imagine all my life. I am used to do alot of pedals and stuff, but I didn't need that with this guitar, I just run it trough my polytune. It's a really noisy guitar, it sounds really nasty! I was blown away by the clarity. With so much distortion I have never heard a such full sound, it nails every tone in my chords. I'm kind of limited to my way off playing but a friend that's super skilled at guitar tested it and he said that it was off the hook, the neck pickup was super mellow, almost jazzy on the clean channel, and with the coilsplit he could do some country and many diffrent styles!

I play Pop-punk, Hardcore, Easycore! For that the guitar is perfect! It plugged it in, turned up the volume and gain knop on the amp and I heard the sweet guitar sound I always had dreamed about! Perfect match. I have been playing for almost three years now, I have a Fender Jag-Stang and a Epiphone ES-333 (Both equipped with dirty fingers)and this bad boy knocks them both dead! I have always used some extra distortion or overdrive pedal to get that little extra punch but I didn't need that with the Ultra Swede! The only really got is that the low E string buzz a little bit, and goes out of tune more easy than the other strings! But of all guitars I have tried this is as good as it gets, for me! Maybe not for you!

I have done alot of gigs the past two years and we always jump around like crazy and rocks out really hard, we will do a gig next week, and I will play this guitar! At rehearsals (we rock out as much there) it's nothing to complain about, seems solid! Haven't dropped the guitar yet, but I will get some strap locks! I would not do a gig without a backup, anything could happen! A string could go or something like that, so i would bring a backup. Played a couple of hours with it and my belt made I scratch on the back, and I don't even use a beltbuckle, so it peeled off quite easy.

It was set-up really good, the action was perfect! The only complain is that the low E string tends to scrap against the other frets, not much, just a little bit! The pick ups was to low in my opinion! Had to higher them and find the sweet spot! All the electronics are good, can't even hear if you change pickup! The only complain is that the volume knob has almost no sensetivity, its like ON/OFF.

I bought the Ultra Swede Nitro, made I collaboration with a Snowboard brand called Nitro, they produced a Snowboard with the same graphics. I think it was made in 2009. The neck is Ultra thin! "the fastest neck in the world", as Hagstrom brands it, and they are right! The neck is only 18mm thick, and 19mm thick at the 12th fret! Really awesome! I think the body is Basswood, with a really nice pearl outline, feels really classy! It has a Tune-o-matic, and the stall is on a plastic brick, I think it's for sustain, the sustain on the guitar is off the hook! The guitar has two Hagstrom custom 62N/62B passive hambuckers. I love those pick ups! Sounds really bad ass, I have other guitars and I always install the Gibson dirty fingers pickup becouse I want high output and in your face attitude. But these pups are even more awesome! Sounds so bad, just thinkin about it makes me wanna play the guitar! There is also a coil split on it so I can turn the humbucker into a single coil. The tuners are solid, hagstroms own brand, nothing more to say. A Super Deluxe gigbag was included! I have always preferd a hardcase but this case is really, really nice!

PinkTree
    Agreed some of the reviews aren't that trustworthy, but i'd say, they fail in showing how nice these guitars are. They surely not best out there( =10), but i'd choose this over any new LP (unless some 5K+) for example... (LP actually fails these days..)
    nican69
    Pick up my Select Ultra Swede next week, antone got any comments on this mahogany and maple piece of beauty,only tried the swede and loved it,better than my custom Hamer,hoping the ultra's the same