Ultra Swede review by Hagstrom

Hagstrom: Ultra Swede

Price paid: C$ 530

Purchased from: KickAxe Guitars

This guitar has amazing sustain. I just strung it with D'Addario 11's and I can play everything from Black Sabbath to Stevie Ray Vaughan to The Whalers. Very versatile and easy to play. Noisy coil tap but that's fairly standard considering the price. Pickups are a little muddy depending on the height but you can get versatile sounds with the splitting which is handy when you play live.

I've been a fan of Hagstrom since I bought their cheap DH2 guitar which is still a blast to play with Bill Lawerence pickups. I'll be buying more hags in the future and love the look more than a Gibson. I play mostly blues, rock and reggae and having the ability to switch tones on the go is great. I play through 3 pedals. Ibanez TS, Boss tuner and a Boss chorus CE-5.

Hold live great. Because it's a mid range guitar, I don't feel the need to stare at it like a Telecaster all day long and it just makes me wanna play and improve. Hardware looks durable. Standard strapbuttons. The guitar isn't super heavy like my Hagstrom D2H but it's sufficient. It's got a great color to it and the need for a backup guitar is thrown out it you maintain this one.

Action is standard but because the trust rod is huge you can lower the action without immediate buzzing. Finish on the neck slows down my playing so I sanded off a little of the coat. Everything was routed well and the pickups were installed great. Frets do not hang over fretboard from bad cuts or from a dried neck.

2010 Model. Burgundy Burst Colour. Made in China. Pearl Binding from Headstock to Neck to Body. - 22 medium frets, - Basswood Body, Maple Neck, Resonator Fretboard (Ebony in feel) - 24.75 scale length. 18mm neck carve (very thin) - Flame Maple Top - Tune-o-matic bridge - 3x3 Hagstrom tuners. 15:1 Tuning ratio - Hagstrom 62 humbucker pickups - Passive. - Tone and Volume control - Coil Tap switch