Viking Deluxe review by Hagstrom

Hagstrom: Viking Deluxe

Price paid: C$ 900

Purchased from: Bluegrass connection

Well right now I'm using a lil 10 watt marshal with the Viking and it sounds awesome! I play rock and bluesy jazzy stuff and I couldnt have found a better guitar. It has plenty of growl for the rockers and since it's a semi hollow it's got tuns of headroom for the bluesers. This guitar sounds awesome clean (period). It can handle just about anything besides metal, the pickups just aren't crunchy enough. The low end is full and fat whith a tight sharp high end. Not a lot of feedback. Overall awesome.

I've been playing for 3 or 4 years now, playing my Epi Les Paul and it just doesn't get as much attention now that I've found the Hagstrom Viking deluxe. If it were stolen ide buy another one for sure. Mine is all natural maple wich I love and the composite fretboard is great. A new bigsby soon and I'll have my dream guitar. This guitar is absolutely perfect.

tough and reliable. I would deffinetly gig with this guitar. everything is sturdy and solid hardware to finish, she'd tough like a Viking. Only little thing is this small rubber coat of arms on the tailpeace has fallen off. I dropped somthing small on it and it popped right off because it was metal glued to metal. I don't miss it at all.

The action is low and smooth with no buzz or dead frets. Frets are seated and dressed perfectly all the way up the neck. Pickups could be raised a tad (personal preferance) and are placed square and straight. The sides meet at the bottom strap peg about a centemeter to the right so it's not quite centered with the top and back book matches (no biggy). Everything is smooth tight and perfect on this guitar.

A 07-08 haggy Viking. 22 medium sized frets on a composite fretboard (square MOpearl fretmarkers with rounded corners) resting on a maple neck (the entire guitar is canadian maple). The body is semi-hollow with an arched top and back. Resembles a 335 but with a slightly wider butt end. Binding everywere except headstock wich has some mother of pearl purlfling. The finish is pretty tough (not a scratch on mine so far). Flamed maple everywere except the neck. The neck is pretty fast and comfortable. The hardware is all Hagstrom stock (for now) basic 2 tone, 2 volume, 3-way pickup selector and 2 covered humbuckers that sound pretty good. Rock solid stock tuners that sorta look like imperial style tuners and a jazz style trapeze tailpiece. Came with a beautiful brown hardshell case.

mortengh
    looks awesome, been thinking about getting a hagstrom semi-hollow for some time now
    EddyPT
    The-Red-Sky : What are the major differences between this and the original Hagstrom Viking?
    The finnish and the inlays, I think. The deluxe is flamed maple with block inlays, the other one has dots and is not flamed. I've hade this guitar for almost 2 weeks and I must say: I'd have babies with it if I could. I don't have much to compare it too, 'cause my other guitar was shitty squier. I tried a Sheraton II that was was about 500 (a little more in dolars) and loved it and, the next day, I tried the hagstrom, that was only 515. No comparison, the Sheraton looks like an ukelele next to the Viking. I seriously love this guitar, a great buy.
    Cozmik_Cowboy
    Not Finnish, Swedish (but no more) Seriously, though, I'm guessing The-Red-Sky was referring not, as you seem to be, to the current Viking standard models, but to the Vikings made in the 60s & 70s.
    iamok
    "I'd have babies with it if I could". I get that now that I have one!
    eilu
    thats a really good review and it fits perfectly for this guitar. i got a hagstrom viking deluxe with a bigsby tremolo. awesome sound!