PT-VII review by Halo

Halo: PT-VII

Purchased from: www.haloguitars.com

It's a 7 string, and I play death/black/thrash/whatever metal, a little classic rock & country to. It works for all of 'em. Not like you need a low B for country or classic rock though. It's not noisy at all really, probably the least noisiest of all my guitars. The sound is pretty rich, not real bright, not dull either. I can do pretty much every sound with it, save for it has no single coils, or coil tapping, plenty of variety for me. I play through a Zoom GFX-5 going into a Behringer V-ampire & a Yamaha Hundred B212, sounds great through all of 'em. I doubt I'd Switch the pickups, really. Maybe to EMG's if I so dared, but not really sure if that would sound any better.

I play mostly metal, this is a 7 stringed V, it matches perfect. Been playing 3 years. Other gear I have: Peavey Raptor Plus, Dean VX (best guitar ever), Ibanez GAX70, Harmony acoustic, some unnamed jazz-knockoff bass, Peavey Rage 158 amp, another Behringer amp, DOD Death Metal distortion, DOD FX57 Hard Rock distortion. I wish I asked how to tune a floyd rose before buying the damn thing, haha. That was easily overcome. I abuse it a bit though, and pull up too hard, snap strings. I keep it chained to my nipples at all times, so it's impossible to lose. If it were stolen I'd hunt the person down, torture them with razors, give them an acid bath, and them smear them in peanut butter and peanuts and let out a flock of seagulls and a herd of elephants on the person, after taking the guitar back. I love everything about it, favorite feature is the tremelo. I was debating on having a custom V made from KXK, but I'd rather buy an Engl amp, so I bought this guitar for 390 'cause of a deal. Debating on buying the amp still though. I wish it had a drink holder and a fleshlight attatchment.

I'd definately play this guitar live without a backup, same with all of my guitars though. The hardware will last if you don't try to kill it, the strap buttons are very good. They aren't locking but in all the time I've had it they haven't come off, and my strap hasn't slipped off. The finish is pretty well, anomolies (figner prints, dents, scratches) don't really show up much, so it's good.

It was set up pretty well, save for I had to tune it. Tuning a floyd rose isn't all that fun. No flaws when I got it, a few after because I'm really rough, cracked a few parts due to stupidity.

Not sure of the year, made in China I believe. 24 frets, 27.5" scale, 7 strings. Rosewood fretboard, ash body, bound fretboard. The neck feels nice, good quality construction, locking nut and stable tuners. Finish is a beautiful transparnt red, it works really well for a V2 (Jackson Randy Rhoads type V) body. It's not real heavy, but far from being light, the body came with no scratches, very well construction, Floyd Rose. Passive Halo humbuckers, they have a real real nice tone to them, very crunchy. 3-way selector, 2 humbuckers. One volume, one tone. I usually leave the volume & tone on 10, so don't really need 'em. It came with a gigbag, cable, and the apporpriate tools to tune, adjust the truss rod & action, etc.