Satyr review by Halo

Halo: Satyr

Purchased from: www.haloguitars.com

Hard rock and metal is what I play mostly and this guitar works great for that. The pickups have a good output with very low noise. I'm using this with the Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier with 1960's Marshall Lead cabinet. The guitar sounds great for hard rock and metal, especially on the Mesa Boogie's channel 3 high gain settings.

I've been playing for 10 years. The price is one of the best reasons to buy this guitar. The overall design of the instrument is unique, that's what I love about this guitar. One objection I have is with the lower cutaway; it could be made larger so I can access the higher frets more easily.

The instrument is likely to last a very long time. The strap buttons are installed well and results with no neck dive. I would never gig without a backup, but if I had to, then this guitar would be fine since it is a simple, fixed bridge guitar. The finish is black with a nice glossy coat on top. I don't think the finish would wear off with lots of playing. But the pointy headstock might get dinged from a lot of use.

The setup is flawless. Action and intonation are spot on. There were some small dings and paint finish flaws. Pickup height was correct. No fret buzz, dead frets, or flat areas. The fret wires were nicely polished and easy to do string bends. The nut was shaped nicely and with good action at the first fret.

Made in China, 2008. Set neck construction, 22 medium frets, 25.5" scale, "C" shape neck. Rosewood fingerboard, mahogany neck. Solid mahogany body. Black finish. Double cutaway style. String Through Body. One passive humbucker. 1 Volume knob. Non-locking, good quality tuners. Comes with an instrument cable, truss rod wrench, warranty information, and some Halo stickers.

xicetraex
    Accidentally clicked post. The last sentence should read: "Now go watch your Glenn Beck."
    jesusofpaign
    zerodiablos wrote: xicetraex wrote: You'd think Master Chief would play a more attractive guitar. It's Batman's, actually.
    You'd think that Batman and Master Chief would be able afford a better guitar.
    zerodiablos
    xicetraex wrote: You'd think Master Chief would play a more attractive guitar.
    It's Batman's, actually.
    Chaostarter
    Personally, I really like the vibe of this guitar, that is, after I've basically change all the hardware on it. 1rst of, I must say that I got the 7 string version of the Satyr. Don't know is that make that much a difference ( I haven't played with the 6 stringer ) but there was many flaws in mine. Neck dive... Hell Yeah !!! Nut sluts were not even. Pup was muddy. That said, I've nonetheless had a good feel about the guitar. So after many upgrades, I can say that this is now my main axe. But stock, I would give it only a 5, for the good vibe.
    BlackDeath92
    JagerSlushy wrote: Halo makes good guitars, but this one is utter trash. 9's are pretty ridiculous.
    You wouldn't happen to know anything about the Hellfire guitar? I've been in the market for a 7-string version.
    PlayFreebirdNow
    SayHello2Heaven wrote: *again, my bad. I actually did mean you Travis. You truly are a douche nozzle among men
    Oh the irony...
    SayHello2Heaven
    travislausch wrote: xicetraex wrote: travislausch wrote: MonsterOfRock wrote: Overall 9. really? REALLY??? 9 is the new 10 Are you suggesting every review ever be set at a maximum of 6 or something? All he's saying is that its absurd for a guitar that's under $300 to get an overall rating of 9. If this guitar was around $800 or over, I'm sure nothing would've been said. Who knows, maybe it's good for a $300 guitar? I wouldn't know because I've never played one, but I don't think ratings should be fixed to the price of an instrument. I own a guitar that was very inexpensive but plays a lot better than any instrument in its price range. Should I rate it a 5 just because it's not a boutique marque? Should I ignore the fact that this guitar is worthy of being played without a backup, just because it barely cost $250? You elitists... ****in' cancer of U-G
    You obviously haven't read many of the reviews on this site. Everybody who buys a new guitar thinks it deservs a 9 or 10... Obviously it doesn't. Take this guitar and compare it to an LP or a Schecter. Good night! It's not elitism, it's practicality. No, a guitar doesn't have to be a boutique guitar to be good, but when other reviewers are giving it 4's and 5's, there's obviously something flawed about this review. The guitar only has one knob on it for Pete's Sake! Travis, Get over yourself, find a bidet to wash the sand out of your mangina, and try using your brain.
    xicetraex
    Sure, it might be good for a $300 guitar, I don't know. But I would bet money that it doesn't play as nice as my Ltd., which I would give an overall 9. Now go watch your Glen
    travislausch
    Shredder Guitar
    Halo's other guitars are actually quite nice. There's a review on here somewhere for a 7 string V that sounds incredibly versatile.
    travislausch
    MonsterOfRock wrote: Overall 9. really? REALLY???
    JohnnyApplecore
    I played one of these when I bought my Dean. That guitar was bloody awful, not even fit for a beginner despite the intricate body shape. x.x
    Althazaire
    haha, the asshattery in here is incredible. now i don't like the shape, but i'm not gonna knock it's playability unless i've actually played it. and to the person that said "even worse than a beginner's guitar"...so...what, are we all supposed to begin playing les pauls and shit like that? have you ever played a first-act guitar from wal mart? because only someone who hasn't would say something as tragically retarded as that. there's no way you can top first-act's aptitude for producing shitty guitars. I have the halo hellfire, and with exception of just being painfully heavy and big, it plays pretty nice, though, I think the kahler trem in itself is just an inherently flawed design.