SATF review by Hamer

Hamer: SATF

Purchased from: Eastcoast music

It easily suits my style of playing modern metal, detuned lead and rhythm stuff, because of the perfectly wide neck and polish on the back of it. I'm plugged through a line6 spider 3 30w and use the insane channel on the back pickup most of the time, which is killer with the eq turned up full! It barely makes any noise thanks to the Hamer humbuckers, and makes a bright sound when you want it to on the back and both pickups and a beautiful warm clean sound too with he front pickup.

I play a lot of modernish metal (I killed the prom Queen, Bring Me The Horizon, Architects, Azriel) the guitar is very verstile and if I was different I could easily play other styles of good music. I've been playing for 2 years but have come along quickly due to listening and playing fast metal solos and stuff. I also have a Squier Strat, which was my first electric guitar. I should have asked about the tuners, which I'm not sure about. If it was stolen I would be in a bad mood and threaten to kill the theif (probably). I love everything about the guitar, my favourite things are the flamed top, and the fat, detunable tone. I didn't compare it to any other roducts apart from maybe the Epiphone Les Paul Custom that I was going to save more money for, but then the people at east coast music said this was so much better. I wish it could maybe have 3 pickups, that would look classy, and a coloured top, instead of the natural colour.

Yes I think the guiatr is giggable, and hopefully I will be doing so with it in the near future, the hardware loooks and feels solid enough to last, the strap buttons are rock solid, I would use other guiatrs at a gig but not as backups because this is a looking guitar to show off with. The finish though, probably won't last as long as the rest of the guitar.

The guitar was perfctly well set up by east coast music (where I bought it from) with the frets well filed and the nut set in better than what the factory had done. I'm not sure if the pickups were adjusted either, the binding at the bottom end of the flamed top is slightly misaligned, and there were a few bits of dirty marks just around the top and very bottom of the neck area. The pickup selector is noisy but doesn't have to be if you use it neatly.

I'm not sure when it was made, but I'm quite sure it was late 2006 or around then anyway. It was amde in china but it's quality. It has 22 medium frets, a thinnish neck. It also has a beautiful natural flame maple top, with a relatively thick lacquer on it. The body and neck are glued-in solid mahogany. It's kind-of a les paul doublecut body shape but curvier. It has a Hamer Tune-O-Matic bridge which is quite good at staying in tune. there are 2 volume pots and 1 tone. It has 2 decent Hamer covered humbuckers, the bridge being the better one. I'm not quite sure about the makes and models of the machineheads, so I'll leave that to you, and I got a free padded gigbag worth 40 and a lead and truss rod allenkey.

ProgFolk12
    I've had this guitar for over a year now, and I think I prefer it to my MIM strat. I really think it's much better than anything else in its price range.
    devilmaycry1979
    I have Athe same design just a FX series FT..solid black cream pickups. I love the damn thing! I think the original pickups are a lil high pitched but Im thinking of replacing with EMG 81and or 85..But yeah it weighs a friggen ton and my strap falls off frequently but I will keep her till I die!
    AaronR2
    This guitar is amazing. It's twice as good as a Gibson Les Paul. The Seymour Duncan Pickups, have no hum, and Handle Clean and Distorted tone, perfectly. haha.
    killerking24
    This guitar is really good, ive had it for nearly 2 years now! It's really good for the price! really comfortable to play with!
    evan-simpson22
    to me this is like one of the best guitars you can get at a medium level before you start getting into high class jacksons and ibanez stuff, i rented this guitar from a music store here and it had the best clean sound it was rediculous
    Metalman924
    I own one and I love it. i bought mine used with a ding. actually a quite large dent and i still gat complements. love the neck. thin quick but still meaty enough for my big pork chop hands. the only thing i could ask for is a real tune o matic (mine was swapped out before i bought it). would buy another in a heartbeat.
    jon.peebles
    The more I read about Hamer guitars, the more I'd like to try one out. They seem to be incredibly underrated, at least from reviews I've read. Can anybody compare it to the big name guitars (Gibson, PRS, etc) from experience with both?
    Stratmatt777
    Gibson, PRS, Schecter and all acoustics have a 43mm nect width at the nut. I like that this Hamer is 42mm wide like my strat. This guitar kicks ass really- it out sustains my strat. My only complaint is that the PRS-like doublecut body shape is a bit big compared to a strat and it is pretty heavy. However, I'm sure that heaviness is precisely why it sustains so damn well. This guitar DESTROYS the fixed bridge ESP LTD MH-1000 ($700 top-of-the-line model with passive Duncan pickups) that has a sculpted heel and set-thru neck sculpted neck joint and is also made out of mahogany (but with a maple neck). I think that the problem is that the ESP body is made of much less mahogany, and I suspect that it is cheaper and lighter mahogany than what Hamer uses because the ESP LTD weighs so little. I wanted to like the ESP because of the set-thru neck, but it can't equal the Hamer. Also the stupid XJ frets that ESP LTD uses make it hard to play high notes above the 15th fret because they are too wide. My guitar has a couple little finishing flaws where the edge of white binding is not perfectly straight, but I bought the guitar for $173 from hellomusic in 6/2013 so I have no complaints. I even think the pickups sound good, but I do have limited experience- all I have played for 16 years is my MIM strat that has been upgraded with a custom neck, super-vee bridge and a Duncan Custom Custom humbucker in the bridge and Fender 57/62s in the middle and neck.
    Stratmatt777
    The "Thin-U neck" feels much like my custom strat neck which is like a normal strat neck thickness at the nut, but is just barely thicker than a standard strat at the 12th. This Hamer neck is about 20mm thick at the first fret and 21mm at the 12th (I didn't use a caliper- I eyeballed it very carefully with a ruler)- which is identical to my USA Custom Guitars strat neck. The Hamer fretoboard is 42mm wide at the nut, 52mm wide at the 12th and 57mm wide at the end. For some reason it feels just slightly wider than my strat above the 12th fret even though the measurements are the same- maybe that means the profile is different even though the thickness is the same?
    Stratmatt777
    NOTE: My review is for the Hamer XT import model- but I think that all these reviews on this page are actually for that model!