SATP90 review by Hamer

Hamer: SATP90

Purchased from: JVS Music, Iloilo Philippines

I play mostly blues, classic rock, and some modern rock -- this guitar is really a jack of all trades. I play through a variety of amps and effects, but mostly at home I'm using an 80s-vintage Create G-60 solid state and a Zoom G7.1UT tube-powered digital multi-effects. I have tested this guitar with a Boss ME-30 as well, and the variety of tones just blows away any of the other guitars I own. The stock pickups, however, keep this guitar from being a perfect 10. They're noisy as hell, and the sustain is poor -- I invested in a set of Lace PS900/905s about 6 months after buying the guitar, and they dropped the noise while adding a bit more sustain -- but cost about the same as the guitar itself.

This guitar can provide that slightly-overdriven, bluesy punch -- about as close to Vintage blues as a non-Fender guitar can get -- and with a stomp on the footboard, you can pull out that harmonics-laden Billy Gibbons drive. Clean, it pulls out all the stops -- the tone is what you'd expect from a P90-equipped guitar, fatter than SCs but brighter than humbuckers. Tone control is very responsive and can put you close to either with a slight turn. Prior to buying the guitar, I spent a few occasions with it in the store, testing it through various amps -- lower-end SS marshalls, a Peavey ValveKing 112, and some effects as well. The only thing I wish I would have done is buy it sooner. I'd definitely replace this guitar, I just love the way it looks, plays, and sounds. I'd say for the money, nothing in its price range even compares. Not even close.

The tail strap pin did pull out, shortly after purchasing it; I repaired this and have not had a problem with it since. The rest of the hardware is rock-solid; granted, I don't beat my instruments up but I would definitely gig this guitar. Without a backup? Hell no, but I'd buy two -- just in case I broke a string. :) Finish looks good; goldtop finishes can take a lot of punishment before they start to look road-worn. Backside would be prone to buckle rash, but I don't know of any wood-finish guitars that aren't.

I have no idea how the guitar came from the factory; it was on display in the music store and therefore had been handled by a number of customers (and probably the store guys as well) prior to my purchase of it. I had it professionally adjusted by a local technician, so it plays perfectly -- and stays in tune, even with the notorious Philippine humidity. For a guitar in this price range, that's a near impossibility.

Made in Indonesia, SN/8300297. Goldtop finish, pseudo-ivory binding, set neck, 2x Hamer P90 pickups, ToM/Stop configuration, 2xVOL 1xTONE pots. Overall, the guitar itself is a beautiful specimen to look at; the body style fits comfortably either sitting or standing. The back of the neck and body are finished in the same, deep mahogany color.

ClassicVibe50
    Not a bad guitar. Not the greatest. Like every Indonesian guitar I have ever owned, the frets need work...leveling, crowning, and ends dressed. Not a bad project guitar if you want to transform it into a player.
    itsjonnydanger
    I have one made in Indonesia as well. Here is one issue I had .. the neck nitro got sticky when wet with sweat, had to sand it off. That's all. I love this guitar, I have always been a P90 fan. I don't like flashy guitars and this one is too pretty. I'd remove the gold nitro finish from the top if it weren't such a chore. I also had a Korean one with HBs, bad fret job, had to dump it.