SATQ review by Hamer

Hamer: SATQ

Purchased from: Ebay

First thing I did was to swap out that SH-4 on the bridge for a DiMarzio DP103 36th Anniversary PAF (5.5-6-5.5 EQ).. I tell other musicians that Mahogany bodies and PAFs were just made for each other... FAR better harmonics and seems to sings in a wider range that's most excellent for Album - Arena Rock, Classic Metal, Blues and even Jazz Fusion. The PAF is that smooth. If your playing grunge, speed metal.. Etc, stick with the SH-4s. This is running into (either) a Pro Co Rat 2 or a DigiTech RP355 then through a Carvin R1000 Red Line Bass Head (that's right a guitar set using a bass amp head) to a Randall RA412XJ Cabinet.

My style of music I play is UFO, Thin Lizzy, The Godz, Kiss and of course Jethro Tull. And this set up WITH this Hamer SATQ can stand up against the Big Boys. that's one of the reasons I always wanted a Hamer, ever since I saw Martin Barre play one. I've been dinking around on all sorts of guitars from the early 80's and frankly I really wish that I had this set up especially this Hamer at that time an improvement beyond measure up to now. I'm even planning to sell off a few guitars and getting a Blonde or Tobacco just like the Honeyburst Hamer SATQ I have. I can't compare this Hamer SATQ to any other guitar it's in a class by itself and there's really nothing I'd change on it (except for a professional mounted Washburn Wonderbar). I put a "10" on each and this is after what I've done to it (tho it wasn't much outside of personal preferences) But even still this Hamer SATQ still deserves a solid 9 non the less. I recommended it highly.

With this guitar and its current set up (pedals and amp) its ready to play Madison Square Garden. Tho I'd add strap locks cause the abuse of the strap holes to the buttons position (just might fall if your not paying attention). I have several guitars all from different companies and I play this most of all above all others.

Through a number of tweeking i.e. truss rod, string hight, Intonation etc.. And they were minor as it is to another other guitar set up to ones own specs, the playability of this Hamer SATQ was simple and took very little time. But this isnt always the case with every guitar, even if I had bought another Hamer SATQ like this one, that depends on who own it before you or if its new.. This Hamer SATQ was solidly built with no flaws seen even for being used and traveling 1000 miles in a box. All the pots and wires were ripped and replaced with new to avoid any "weirdness" or problems later on.

This Chinese import dated 2006 (listed for $689.50 US, no case) comes in four colors: Black, Tobacco, Blonde and Honeyburst (what I have) setting off the Abalone binding that's laid out around on a Quilted Maple top, neck and head stock, making this a very beautiful guitar to any collection. The neck seems short but that's only due to the smaller mid weight body. 22 frets with trapezoid inlays (come in dots as well) on a Rosewood fingerboard with a Gibson thickness and string spacing to the neck. The main body of this guitar is of Mahogany that in-riches the sound to it. The bridge and tail piece is a standard to most if not all non-whammy guitars. The tuners are also standard and do a pretty good job but grovers might be better. This Hamer SATQ comes with 2 volume and 1 tone with a 3 way switch configuration. The pickups are 2 Seymour Duncan SH-4's (8-6-5 EQ) and very high output especially on the high end.

CaliforniaKid
    Great guitars with fantastic access to the upper frets. Chinese guitars get a bad rap just as Japanese guitars once did... but these guitars show that you cannot generalize.