SATQ review by Hamer

Hamer: SATQ

Purchased from: JB Music Store Philippines

It suits my playing style a lot! It plays the blues very well, rock or even heavy metal. I'm using it with a Korg AX3000G signal processor and I haven't done any modifications on the stock patches I use. It's very rich! Just add a little chorus and you can really hear the great sound by the big names. It can make shred sounds clean sounds better than my previews guitars (Ibanez GIOs)... It's very flexible.

It's a good match for blues! I've been playing for 10 years now and I've never owned anything like it. The only flaw I found is that I can't install a bigsby tail whammy pedal to it because the toggle switch is placed right beside the bridge. I love the fact that it glows on stage! I encourage other players out there to try this guitar!

This guitar is solid! Setneck. Though a little heavy. The finish is very well done. It can be compared to Epiphones or even LPs.

Action is a little bit high. The pick ups we're good but I'm planning to replace them with Seymour Duncan 59s. (Most people who has this guitar does).

I came across this guitar while looking for a good guitar with a budget of $350. At first, I looked at ESPs and Ibanez but their way above my cash limit but on the way home I came across with this guitar on a shop on clearance sale. Man! It glows with all the in-lays and amazing lamination that its like looking on a mirror. That was the first time I played a guitar with jumbo frets! Very satisfied with how it looks considering the price. BTW, in my country, this guitar sells about $600 on regular price.

jimdonovanboogi
    I got mine 2 days ago from hellomusic.com for $279, and its sold out now. I could not put it down, but I may have to try to upgrade the pickups, so I'm glad I checked reviews to see what has worked. I can see this has a lot of room for improvement,a nd also well worth the time, effort and upgrade expenses, partially cuase its gorgeous, but mainly because I play riffs I never tried before, as the joy of playing this alone with no music on was unmatched by any of my other 11 guitars. True test - I wrote 2 new songs in under 90 mins, always a test of a new guitar. Does it bring you there? YEP.
    squirebass
    I was wondering what the neck feels like on this model? Is it more like a Les Paul '60s profile? I'm seriously considering purchasing this model, but I'd like to know more about how thick the neck is, as I don't like '50s profile Les Paul necks... Thank you!
    Stratmatt777
    I have a Hamer XT SATF (Flamed top instead of Quilted). Gibson, PRS, Schecter and all acoustics have a 43mm neck width at the nut. I like that this Hamer is 42mm wide like my strat. This guitar out sustains my strat and has more body/warmth (due to the mahogany set neck). I really enjoy playing this guitar. My only “complaint” is that the PRS-like doublecut body shape is a bit big compared to a strat and it is pretty heavy. However, I'm sure that heaviness is precisely why it sustains so well. Also, my guitar has a couple little finishing flaws where the edge of white binding is not perfectly straight and the black finish overruns and covers a bit of the edge of the fretboard above the 12th fret, but I bought the guitar for $191 from hellomusic in 6/2013 so I have no complaints. I even think the pickups sound good, but I do have limited experience- for 16 years all I have played is my MIM strat that has been upgraded with a custom neck, super-vee bridge and a Duncan Custom Custom humbucker in the bridge and Fender 57/62s in the middle and neck. The "Thin-U neck" feels much like my custom strat neck which is the normal strat neck thickness at the nut, but is just barely thicker than a standard strat above the 7th fret. This Hamer neck is about 20mm thick at the first fret and 21mm at the 12th (I didn't use a caliper- I eyeballed it very carefully with a ruler)- which is identical to my USA Custom Guitars custom strat neck. The Hamer fretboard is 42mm wide at the nut, 52mm wide at the 12th and 57mm wide at the end. For some reason it feels just slightly wider than my strat above the 12th fret - even though the measurements are the same (maybe that means the profile is different even though the thickness is the same)?