SFX 2 review by Hamer

Hamer: SFX 2

Purchased from: City Music Singapore

I like a wide variety of genres and there's definately room for this guitar in my collection. I have Vox and Fender amps and it sounds great on either, not at all noisy. It's not as versatile as an LP but I don't think this axe should not be limited to heavy rock and punk although I believe this is where it feels most at home.

I have a Fender and a Les Paul and the Hamer SFX2 is definately a positive addition to my collection. I'm happy that I bought it and for the money that I paid I am just wowed over with this guitar. I don't have any real dislikes about this guitar. It's beautiful, it's quality and it sounds great. If I lost it or it got stolen I would get myself over to the shop and get another immediately.

I don't do live performances so I can only guess but I would say that this is a very capable guitar and well worthy of performing live. In fact I believe that it is used by a number of performers so it has obviously already proved itself in this area. It holds its tuning well and it's comfortable sitting or using a strap. Cosmetically and taking into consideration the workmanship I'd say it will withstand as much reasonable abuse as most other guitars 3 or 4 times the cost of this one.

I did notice one SFX2 that was stamped 'Made in China' and although the finish was good it definately needed to be setup properly. In comparison all the Indonesia guitars were ready to Rock'n'Roll. I tested a few in the shop but the one that I took home just needed to be tuned, nothing more. The pickups, bridge, frets, and action were all perfect for me. I wouldn't change it at all.

Made in 2010 (Indonesia) I got the Pearl Blue, it was a tough decision. There's a black cherry version which looks great too. With discount I paid 315 Singapore Dollars (about 230 USD). High gloss metalic quality finish on the boday and neck. Rosewood fretboard with 24 frets, great setup with no buzzes. 42mm width at the nut. All very comfortable. Two volumes and one tone. Only comment here is that perhaps seperate tone controls would have been good here. I got a free softcase and cable but the cable is just a cheap throw in from the shop and I'll probably never use it.

dan69uk
    I picked up the first sfx when they were first available. Amazing deep finish. At £130 (back then) beggars really could be choosers. The neck is really smooth and the tone control works properly. I'm finally able to improve the bridge pickup without doubling the cost of the guitar.Irongear's Rolling Mill Overwound will give a good pokey signal without messing up the tone.
    kikilalaz
    I own this in White finish but i haven't played any gig yet and haven't shown it to friends. But home practice, i find this guitar to be a real dear~