Standard Flametop Review

manufacturer: Hamer date: 12/20/2010 category: Electric Guitars
Hamer: Standard Flametop
This is the only guitar that can rival the original Hamer USA Standard Custom. The Ivoroid-bound neck and body are made of Alder and capped with a stunning two-puiece Flamed Maple top. This baby features two Hamer humbucking pickups and Rosewood fingerboard dressed with Crown inlays just like its USA cousin.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.2
 5,345
reviews (5) 26 comments vote for this gear:
Standard Flametop Reviewed by: wolflord1, on october 10, 2006

Purchased from: Mix Music

Features: I'm not shure in what year it's made, but I think it's 2003-2004, it's made in China. It has 22 medium-jumbo frets, rosewood, crown inlays, body is Explorer shaped and it's made from alder with Ivory binding, finish is awesome, it's flamed top (very nice), Tune-O-Matic bridge, two Hamer humbucker pickups (pasive), 2-volumes, 1-tone, 3-way selector, Hamer tuners (very good tuners) and it comes with a excelent gig-bag. // 10

Sound: I play heavy metal music (from Nirvana, Metallica, Slayer to most extreme black metal) and it really suits me nice. This baby can deliver a realy warm clean sound (neck pickup) when you need it, but it also can blow your face when it's distorted or on overdrive. I run it thru Line 6 112 Amp and it sounds awesome! It has lots of tone variety, as said before it can be a "little kitten" with warm and steady sound but it can roar like a f--king "lion"! It suits well for my stile of agressive heavy metal. But I think it's best for trash metal, death metal and for black metal, that's my opinion because I play that kind of music. Also one of my friends said that it's good for blues, he likes it for blues! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Factory settings was very good. Action was good, not very high but I adjusted strings to be closer to the neck what makes this guitar really fast, and I just adjusted this mighty pickups closer to the strings to get a full power from them. Pickups have no noise, and I think that Hamer have best stock pickups in that price class and more! I was realy amazed with the sound they produce. No flaws at all! // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will withstand live laying for shure, I never did a gig with it but I'm 100% sure that it will rock the stage! Hardware is hrome and it's strong and hard so it shoud last for a long time. Strap buttons are good and solid, I never had a bad experience with them. I would use it without backup on a gig, I trust this guitar, it don't go so easy out of tune, but I never gig with this axe so I cant't tell for shure if backup needed but I think it will survive that without problem. Finish is good, but I hink it's sensitive to beating because it's so shiny and beautyful and I take good care of it. // 10

Overall Impression: As I said I play metal music and it's perfect for my style, but I think it can be used in all kind of rock, hard rock, metal, and so on music, except folk or something like that. I play for about 3 or more years and I can say that this is excelent guitar. I love almost everything about her, the only thing whitch bother me a litlle is her weight. She is heavy like a jumbo jet! But it's not a bad thing, that's becouse it's made from a good wood, in the begining I was tired when stand and play for a hour and more but now I get used to its weight so I must play reeaally long to get tired. All in all if it get stolen I would find that thief and break every bloody bone in his body! If I get lost it I would buy another one becouse it's a excellent and beautyfu axe. // 10

Standard Flametop Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 08, 2007

Purchased from: Curley's music (liverpool)

Features: Not sure what year it was made but I think 20045/5 in china. It has 22 frets in the scale of 24 3/4" made of Rosewood with dot inlays. The body is in the Explorer style and is made of a gorgeous piece of Ivoroid Bound African Korina with a natural lacquered finish (you would be drooling if you where looking at it now. The neck is made from maple and is moulded into the body. Tune-O-MAtic Bridge, 2 Seymour Duncan pickups (a 59 at the neck and a JB at the bridge-both passive), 2 volumes and 1 tone with a 3-way selector, Hamer tuners. Explorer shaped gig bag and lead included. // 10

Sound: Now to be hounest with you this is my first guitar so I don't know what to compare it with. However both my friends have played it and love it, one of whom ownes a Gibson and a recording studio, the other ownes a Kramer, so they have good taste. I do not have an amp yet and simply play through my stereo speakers which are rather good but still. It does have bags of sustain on this baby though. My friends have amped it up and they said the axe was fantastic for all types of rock and blues. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The setup seemed vey good and I have not adjusted it at all yet. Pickups were fine. There are absolutley no flaws what so ever in this guitar in terms of sound, action or apperance. I could stare at it's glossy sheekness every day for a week and find something new to fall in love every single day. // 10

Reliability & Durability: See the other review, I agree whole heartedly. This puppy is built to last. it's both beautiful and strong, the perfect women if it were one. The hardware all feels very well made and fitted together. The volume knobs are so smooth, the pickup selector Switch is fine. I heard these babies get 14 coats of lacquer, so that stuff ain't gonna wear off anytime soon. // 9

Overall Impression: Gorgeous and worth every penny. I mainly play rock and it is well suited to the job. I have only been playing for 2 months and this is the only axe I own. If it was stolen I would definately have to buy it again. I have never seen a better looking Explorer, particularly for the price, and this thing isn't cheap and nasty, it's the ferrari of the guitar world. My version is the Standard Korinna (stdk), a little more expensive, due to the semour duncans I imagine, but I simply love it, I love it, I love it! // 10

Standard Flametop Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 01, 2007

Purchased from: Sam Ash

Features: Not sure what year it was made in. Was made in chinca. It has 22 medium-jumbo frets. The Finish is cherry sunburst. Body was made with alder with ivoroid binding. The body is Explorer shaped. The bridge is Tune-O-Matic. 2 volumes, 1 tone, 3-way tog knobs. There are 2 Duncan Designed pickups and they sound pretty good. // 10

Sound: This guitar fits my guitar playing style perfectly. I play a lot of types of rock and since I'm somewhat still learning blues I can get a good blues sound out of it.(I know this for a fact because my future God-father-to-be is a very good musician and he can play blues. I brought the guitar to him and he made it wail that everyone that was there just sat and listened to him. it sounded so cool)I play this though a crappy frontman 15( I know it sucks I am planing to get a new amp soon since I'm saving it up) and a DigiTech Grunge. I have also played this through a Peavey amp (it was a Classic Chorus not sure what model though but it was big and heavey). I brought my DigiTech pedal with me when I played it on the Peavey and it sounded so awesome, I wanted to take the amp home, but sadly it was the church's amp. It not noisy what so ever. It has a nice fatsy yet bright tone to it. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was pretty good but a 1 week afterwards I lowered the bridge. after that I fixed the truss rod a bit (the strings kept on rattling when I played an open note). Other than those 2 problems the guitar was flawless but I have yet to take it to a guitar tech which I soon plan to. Like I said before the finish was cherry sunburst. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I'm not in a band or anything but when I am I'm guessing it'll withstand Live playing. It seems like everything will last, though I wish the strap buttons were a bit bigger. The finish seems like it'll last for a while. // 9

Overall Impression: Like I said before I play a lot of types of rock and a biginner to blues and it's a good match to what I play. I've been playing for about a year and this guitar seems to suite me fine sincei learn things easily. I own a squire, and even though I liked that one in the biginning, I love this one even more. I wish it would of came with a bag though since I like taking my guitars to my friends' houses and playing it there. If I were stolen I would find the person and rip his balls off or if it were a girl I would make her ugly by deforming her face (I'm only doing that since this was my only 14th birthday present an I plan to cherrish it). I love the weight and the finish since I like carring heavy things and the finish makes it look awesome. I wish it had a whammy bar though since I liked doing divebombs and stuff on my squire. // 9

Standard Flametop Reviewed by: firesofforever9, on february 15, 2007

Features: The Standard Flametop guitar was made in florida. It has 22 jumbo frets, a rosewood fretboard, and trapeziod pearl inlays. it's body is a flat top with a cherry sunburst flametop color. The pickups are uncovered Hamer humbuckers, the tuners are Hamer brand, and it is set-neck construction. Also it has a Tune-O-Matic bridge, active electronics, and it comes with a case made to fir the exact shape of the guitar. // 8

Sound: My music style is heavy metal, hard rock, and anything that's crazy to play on guitar. This guitar seems to have meen made for classic rock, or soft type music. I can play stairway to heaven on guitar, and this guitar is perfect for that song. It wouldn't be great for playing music like Dragonforce. It just doesnt't feel right when I play that style on this guitar. I use this guitar with a Crate 50 watt amp, a DigiTech Grunge distortion, or a DigiTech hothead distortion. Those items give this guitar a rich and full sound just right for classic rock, and it also sounds amazing on the clean setting. The 2 tone knobs, 1 volume knob, and a tone Switch give this guitar as much variety as it needs. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was set up very well at the factory, no dents or mistakes that I have seen so far. I bought this guitar used and the only problem it has is a little dent near the strap button. The pickups are adjusted very well, but also could be better. It has a proberly bookmatched top and a perfectly routed bridge. Basically there are no problems that I can think of about this guitar, other than it may be a little too heavy for some peoples interestes, but it is fine for me. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will withstand Live playing if you give it some strap locks. This guitar started out with really small strap buttons that in some cases wouldn't be very reliable. I could use this guitar at a gig without a backup, but only if it was a gig with all soft or classic rock music. The finish on this guitar is perfect enough to last a long time. Mine was made a couple years ago and it has no signs of wearing off. // 8

Overall Impression: This isnt a good match for all of the music I play, only for soft music or classic rock music. I have been playing guitar for almost 2 years now and I would say I'm pretty good at it. I also own a B\.C\. Rich Masterpiece Mockingbird, a Squier '51 Strat, an off brand Strat, an Ibanez bass, a Drive bass, an off brand acoustic, a Behringer half stack, and two distortion pedals. I wish I would have bought something to fit my music style better. If it were stolen from me I would buy something different if I could get the money. I love how this guitar is perfect on clean mode, and perfect with soft distortion. I don't like how I can't play Dragonforce type music on it. // 9

Standard Flametop Reviewed by: sjones, on december 20, 2010

Purchased from: Kassel Music, Marietta, Ohio

Features: The Hamer Standard Flametop has an alder body with a flame maple top. The maple set-neck features a 22-fret rosewood fretboard with a 24.75 inch scale and a 14.5 inch neck radius. The headstock is black and the guitar's body and sport a nice Ivoroid binding. Electronically speaking, the guitar has two Duncan Designed pickups which after some researching I found were Duncan Designed '59 models, which of course are based on the Seymour Duncan '59 pickup. Two volume knobs and one shared tone knob paired with a 3-way selector round out the electronics. Hardware-wise, the guitar has a Tune-O-Matic bridge with a Stop-Tailpiece and comes stock with Hamer tuners. The only problem I've had with the guitar are the tuners. I do a great portion of the lead work for the bands I'm involved with and the stock pickups weren't sutting it. I quickly swapped them out for Grover Locking Tuners. They're inexpensive and took this guitar from being almost unplayable to being by "Number 1". The guitar's features are quite straightforward, nothing too flashy, but that's exactly what I wanted! I can pick the guitar up, plug in, and play. I'm giving the guitar an 8 because other than the tuners I'm completely satisfied with the guitar's straightforward features. I would like to give it a 7.5, because although it doesn't have many "bells and whistles" to speak of, it merits the bump to 8 because of the rest of the features, rather than the slump down to a 7. // 8

Sound: I play in two different projects at the moment. One being a Progressive-Melodic Thrash (with MeloDeath and punk influence) band and a more Classic Rock-based side venture. Starting with the more Classic Rock project because it's a more brief explaination: The guitar has been mainly used for recording in the project (so far) and was either ran through an old Legend "Rock n Roll" 50 watt tube amp with a DigiTech Bad Monkey and a variety of other delay, chorus, and EQ pedals in front of it and also thru a Digital Setup where it was ran through a (rather surprisingly good sounding) DigiTech GSP 21 Pro rack preamp plugged straight into the interface. Using the Legend amp setup, I got great classic rock tones. Nice, crisp rhythms and good lead tones as well. However, I much preferred how things sounded when I ran through the DigiTech GSP rack. Very nice rhythm tones, also very nice, smooth, tube-y sounding solos. The guitar's neck and neck-middle pickup setting shined in this arena, providing all of the warm and bluesy lead tones I needed. Cleans were also very, very sweet sounding. On to the metal project, the guitar has been ran through a rack setup involving the aforementioned DigiTech Rack and also a (once again surprisingly great sounding) Crate Solid-State amp from the 90's which is plugged into a used Behringer Cab that I've modified. The Crate is also frontended by the Bad Monkey and also a pedal tuner and Noise Gate are used. I'm currently using the Crate thru Cab setup live with the project now while I save for another amp and am very pleased with the results. It's a high gain sound, but bot brittle or tinny. Although the pickups are '59's, they provide plenty of crunch to go along with a nice bit of clarity. (Note: I only use the bridge pickup in this project). The leads are nice and fluid sounding and the upper register notes aren't too shrill. The pickups seem to have a nice midrange to them, and when used in a "heavier" setting, really have some nice bite to them. The sounds aren't as dark as my Agile 2900 Chambered body, but I like it. It's not quite as bright as say a Humbucker-Loaded Strat, but it's also no Les Paul. Somewhere nicely in between. Soundwise, I'd give this thing a solid 8. I haven't tried it with enough styles to say much more, but I am very pleased with what I have gotten out of it so far. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I did lower the action a bit from the factory set-up, but it wasn't too bad to begin with. Pickups seem properly adjusted and the guitar looks great. No flaws with the body, and once again the only problem I've had with the guitar is the sub-par stock tuners. Since I lowered the action on the guitar, IT PLAYS AMAZING. It really does. The slim neck reminds me somewhat of an Ibanez type neck. Great for fast, shreddy leads. I use Ernie Ball 46-9 strings and the guitar is tuned half-step down for the Classic Rock project and half-step down and in Drop D for the Metal band. 9. Playability is great. Maybe the biggest reason why I got the guitar. Fantastic and cannot say more! // 9

Reliability & Durability: It hasn't played a great deal of shows yet, but that's soon to change as I'm playing quite a few shows with the Metal Project now. So far, so good! Hardware and strap buttons seem quality. No problems with sharp edges on the bridge cause string breakage or anything like that. It's recieved a few dings here and there, but that's to be expected. I take care of my guitars, but at the same time, mine are to be played, not collected like a painting on the wall (exception: My late 60's Gibson acousitc). I normally have a backup at gigs, but that's just because I'm to anal about things not to. Finish seems fine. 9. Well built guitar! // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, I'm very happy I got this guitar. I traded in a Schecter Synyster Gates' Standard model for this guitar have been pleased ever since. Much more pleased than I was with the Schecter. It wasn't a bad guitar, per se, but just wasn't for me. This guitar's easy playing neck and straightforward configuration were the selling points for me. I've been playing about 8 years now, and for the moment, this is my "main" guitar. If it were stolen, I'd probably hurt that person horrendously. // 8

Comments