Stellar 3 review by Hamer

Hamer: Stellar 3

Purchased from: Local music shop

Let's first say that I play from just an year, and I'm not a great player. But I like playing different styles and I know if the guitar sounds good and fits what I'm playing. I like playing rock (The Darkness, Velvet Revolver), nu-metal (Linkin Park), grunge (Nirvana), pop-punk (Sum41, New Found Glory) and I try my best on Metallica and I can say that this guitar can fit all this music styles just by adjusting the settings of the amp, or, as I do, of a multi-effect pedal. I use it on a crap Crate amp with a DigiTech RP50, it's not a good equipment at all as you can see but it still can produce an amazing sound. it isn't noisy at all, and even if it produces a little little buzz when the amp's overdrive is set to the max, it doesn't produce it at all when using the multi-effect unit. The sound can range from full for rythm to bright for solos just by changing the EQ settings. The bridge pickup is amazing for distorted sound, and you can obtain different great sounds by using it as an humbucker or as a single coil. For clean sound it isn't as good, but the central and neck pickup are really amazing for it. On the central one it's got a nice bright sound, while in the neck pickup it sounds something like an acoustic, making this guitar suitable for really any style.

This is my second guitar after a very cheap SX Stratocaster clone, and all I can say is that this guitar can't be compared to that one. It isn't the best thing around, but it's really a good guitar if you are like me, a new player which isn't happy with a cheap guitar. I really think it'll last many years and it'll always be a good guitar. At least, it fits me very well. I love its sound and everything about it, and how you can go on the neck and it's dimension, not too thin nor too thick. I think that if I lost it and I could spend 600 euros max, I'd buy this one again, since there's not another guitar with this features at this price. I tried a Les Paul-like, it had no tremolo, I tried an Ibanez, it didn't have this sound and couldn't be detuned (for example, for Metallica and Linkin Park). This one has everything at the same price, so I really advise you on gettin it if you have this budget and you're searching for a guitar that can fit all kinds of rock and metal no matter how soft or heavy it is.

I don't play in a band but I play really a lot, some days I can arrive even to 4 hours of playing (not non-stop, of course) but the guitar doesn't seem to lose it's finish or something, nor the body seems weak. It has only a flaw: the strap button was too loosened and it got out of the wood but since I had my guitar in hand it didn't fall. Still I didn't like this thing since it could have fallen if I wasn't holding it, so I'll give it a 4.

The guitar was set up at the factory well enough, even if I'm more or less a newbie of guitar playing, I haven't felt the need to adjust it. I just felt the need to change the .10 strings the guitar was equipped with, since I find myself confortable with .09 strings, but this is a matter of taste. The guitar hadn't got any defect, the finish was perfect as the wood and the pickup selector doesn't produce any noise. The tuner of the B string was a bit loosened but the problem was solved in a second with just a screwdriver and I don't think it's something that can be called a flaw.

This guitar has 24 frets, a stratocaster-like body, and it's equipped with a very good wilikinson bridge and three Duncan designed pickups, a Humbucker on the bridge, a central single coil and another single coil on the neck. It has a volume and a tone knob, a 5 way selector plus another Switch to change the bridge pickup from humbucker to a single coil. Even if I bought it new I got no bag nor strap with it. The wilkinson bridge is really of a very good quality, as the pickups and the whole body. So I can say it deserves a 4.