Vector review by Hamer

Hamer: Vector

Price paid: € 500

Purchased from: Second Handed

I mainly play metal, and this guitar is just perfect. Played through a Marshall JCM 800 it's just instant 80s Metallica. The neck pickup has a lot of diversity because of the coil tap, and can create Red HOT Chili Peppers-esque sounds when played through a Fender amp.

As I mainly play 80's metal this guitar is great. The DiMarzio humbuckers give this guitar the edge that my Les Paul (equipped with EMGs) lacks. I've been playing for around 2 years now, and have a lot of guitars, but this one just stands out. Playing whilst sitting down is a pain, but you get used to it fast. If she was stolen I'd find the S.O.B. who has it and beat his brains in with the guitar. Overall a great guitar, especially after some upgrades!

I would definitely play this guitar live! The guitar is really sturdy, but I would probably have a backup in reach in case of broken strings. The strap buttons were kind of a problem, but I fixed this with a piece of rubber (Grolsch rubbers, for those who know).

The action was near perfect, when I bought it had two or three dead notes, but it has since been adjusted. The top is bookmarked perfect, but I suspect it being a veneer. I haven't found any other flaws, but the top nut was just a cheap piece of plastic, and I had it changed for a Graphite nut.

This Flying V-shaped guitar was built in Indonesia. It features a mahogany neck with a 22 fret rosewood board. The neck is quite fat, almost as fat as a Les Paul. The Body is solid mahogany with a maple top, my best guess is that the flamed maple is a veneer. It's finished in a beautiful sunburst with cream binding. The tune-o-matic bridge and upgraded Grover tuners keep their tune, even with large climatic changes. The original pickups where swapped out for a DiMarzio Super Distortion, and a DiMarzio Dual Sound (a 4-conductor version of the Super Distortion), the Neck-pickup is coil tapped by its volume pot, the bridge pickup has a volume pot and they share a tone pot. The guitar came with a sturdy Hamer Gigbag and a cable.