XT EchoTone review by Hamer

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Sound: 9
  • Overall Impression: 10
  • Reliability & Durability: 10
  • Action, Fit & Finish: 10
  • Features: 9
  • Reviewer's score: 9.6 Superb
  • Users' score: 7.5 (17 votes)
Hamer: XT EchoTone
3

Price paid: £ 320

Purchased from: John Boots Music

Sound — 9
I like a wide variety of music from cream to Guns N' Roses and Pearl Jam to The Who. The guitars tone is just so versatile it can handle any of those styles. You'd be surprised at the variety you can get even without an effects pedal. It reacts well to pedals so none of its soul is lost under the various disguises I personally use a Zoom G1 effects pedal nothing special but it still has about 70 or 80 different effects aswell as drumbeats, but hey thats another review. The Hamer can produce excellent clean tones aswell as bluesy even hard rocky sounds, despite 2 thirds of the guitar being hollow the sound certainly is not is incredibly full.

Overall Impression — 10
You know what I think? I think we have found a real Epiphone killer...

Reliability & Durability — 10
I have played this guitar non stop for about 8 months and there is not one scratch or anything despite its constant rocking. I have only had to replace strings from natural wear and tear, I use Ernie Ball super slinky mostly.

Action, Fit & Finish — 10
I cannot comment to much on how it was straight out of the factory as I know the shop do full checks and set ups ready to play straight away, but they keep getting them in so I can only imagine they are pleased with them. I have had no problems.

Features — 9
I got the guitar for a bargain price of I think around 320 and the prices literally did go up to around 400 everywhere on not just Hamers but other manufacturers the next day. The guitar is an ES-359 style semi-Acoustic (it is slightly less rounded then some other semis) and is well equipped with Hamer's own humbuckers which have a truly beautiful tone. It has an awesome 2 tone sunburst fade which continues up the neck and headstock. The neck itself has 22 jumbo frets and ivorine Dot inlays. The majority of hardware is chrome such as the stopbar tailpiece and tune-o-matic bridge which are both sturdy and aid the tone. Everything is sound and solid from the controls to the scratchplate. Only thing that lets it down are the 'phlegm' machine heads so called because of their snotty colour but nonetheless they stay in tune well, you can replace them but beware the screw holes do not line up so you may be left with odd holes I personally chose to remove them and paint them myself. It came with a free Hamer gigbag lead and allan key, however I don't know if they all do. Please note one thing I have found is that mine and maybe others look slightly different to on Hamer's website. Mine is not as wide and has more pointed cutaway corners.

15 comments sorted by best / new / date

    deltacross
    GS LEAD 5 wrote: Hey the amp was the cheapest thing I could find. All the Peavey's and Rolands were outa my budget as they were imported, whereas the MG was made in a local factory. And I used a friends G1 on his Vypyr. Was rubbish. The G7's good though, the school guitar tech has one.
    it's quite normal that the G1 won't sound good through the vypr.. the vypr is a modelling amp for crying out loud.. pair it with a digital effect and you'll surely get rubbish.. modelling amps have their own line-up of amp sims and distortions and other effects, that's why they're modelling.. you should've run the G1 through a more decent and pedal friendly SS amp, if not a tube amp.. to each his own.. not dissing on you nor your amp or anything.. if you think the G1 sucks, go ahead.. but maybe it's also the cheapest thing Shaunfromtheuk could find.. so just respect each other, ayt? we don't have really great gears so there's no point in arguing over things.. cheers!
    The_String_Man
    GS LEAD 5 wrote: A zoom pedal? Man you must be really tone deaf....
    hey theres nothing wrong with zoom pedals
    Kirage
    Woah hey, I tried this guitar this week... Ran it through a Line 6 Spider IV 15 Amp... Sounded great. Didn't use any effects though, gotta hear the "pure" sound
    MaggaraMarine
    Kirage wrote: Woah hey, I tried this guitar this week... Ran it through a Line 6 Spider IV 15 Amp... Sounded great. Didn't use any effects though, gotta hear the "pure" sound
    Well... Nothing through Spider amp will be a pure sound because it's digital modeling. It's the same if you are or aren't using effects, it's still a digital sound, not a pure sound. The amp models are kind of "effects" too.
    Shaunfromtheuk
    Hey i'm the guy who wrote this, and i'm well proud it made it to the front page and don't mess with the zoom pedal it is an awesome piece of kit for the price.
    ProgFolk12
    I love my hamer. Feels much better made than my MIM strat, and plays better than most Epi's I've tried, and for 225. The only thing is like most epi's, I don't think the stock pups quite do it justice,they seem to get a little muddy and cleans aren't perfect, but that's my opinion. Overall great instruments, check 'em out.
    McGuitarlovin
    I always say that about musicians "Some become a Yngwie Malmsteen, others maybe will become a humble Paul Gilbert.
    deltacross
    GS LEAD 5 wrote: A zoom pedal? Man you must be really tone deaf....
    wow.. i'm surprised this comment came from someone who owns a little Marshall MG15 and also a digital stomp.. i own a Marshall MG50 but my brother uses it more often and runs a Zoom G7.1ut with it, i'm comfy with my humble vox pathfinder and korg ax5g.. talk about tone deaf.. not sure if you yourself have tried a zoom.. or maybe it sucked on you because of your amp.. next time be more friendly with your comments.. the review is on the Hamer, not the Zoom..
    GS LEAD 5
    deltacross wrote: GS LEAD 5 wrote: A zoom pedal? Man you must be really tone deaf.... wow.. i'm surprised this comment came from someone who owns a little Marshall MG15 and also a digital stomp.. i own a Marshall MG50 but my brother uses it more often and runs a Zoom G7.1ut with it, i'm comfy with my humble vox pathfinder and korg ax5g.. talk about tone deaf.. not sure if you yourself have tried a zoom.. or maybe it sucked on you because of your amp.. next time be more friendly with your comments.. the review is on the Hamer, not the Zoom..
    Hey the amp was the cheapest thing I could find. All the Peavey's and Rolands were outa my budget as they were imported, whereas the MG was made in a local factory. And I used a friends G1 on his Vypyr. Was rubbish. The G7's good though, the school guitar tech has one.
    Kirage
    I hear all about this guitar and its wonderful sound for price/ value... However, what's with the reliability and durability? I'm getting my 1st electric and this seems to be just perfect.... However, this is probably gonna be my 1 and only electric in a long time (at least 7 years), so i need 1 that's durable...
    Shaunfromtheuk
    yeah this guitar is pretty damn tough, i'm ashamed to say i hav dropped it, and despite that there is absolutely no scratch or wear on it whatsoever and sounds as good as ever
    Kirage
    Shaunfromtheuk wrote: yeah this guitar is pretty damn tough, i'm ashamed to say i hav dropped it, and despite that there is absolutely no scratch or wear on it whatsoever and sounds as good as ever
    Sounds good How about the NECK feel? Closer to Acoustic guitars or Classical?
    Shaunfromtheuk
    yeah it is an awesome guitar either "pure" like you say or distorted and the neck plays like a dream and i'd say it is nearer to acoustic because it is a fairly thin profile and not as wide as a classical
    Shaunfromtheuk
    GS LEAD 5 wrote: A zoom pedal? Man you must be really tone deaf....
    Does anyone else think this guy sounds abit harsh and this is my first review, guess some people are just born asses haha