HBL400 review by Harley Benton

Harley Benton: HBL400

Purchased from: Thomann

I bought this guitar because after 7 years of playing acoustic guitar I wanted to try something new. I play folkmetal in a band with it. It has a very warm and full sound and an endless sustain, so it really fits this kind of music. I play it with a Harley Benton 20W Amp, sometimes I also use an overdrive, which really sounds quite OK.

I think that it's a quite good guitar for people like me, Who play electric giuitar not very professional. I am an acoustic guitar player first and I think that won't change. I play acoustic guitar for now 7 years and electric guitar for about 6 months now. So for me it's a nice thing to take this guitar if I want a different sound sometimes. If this guitar was stolen, I would buy it again. I mean, I would buy a Gibson or whatever if I had the money, but I haven't. So this instrument is a quite good choice for teenagers like me Who have to earn their money by baby-sitting and are not able to afford expensive guitars. I compared it with the Epiphone Les Paul Special, those guitars sound the same, but the Epiphone is J40 more expensive, so I took this one. I really wish it had a tremolo, so that I wouldn't have to torture its neck all the time!

The guitar had to survive some trouble, including a beer shower at a gig and some crashes with the walls of our very small bandroom. And it didn't get any damage except of some little scratches! I'm absolutely satisfied with it's durability.

The guitar really looks very nice with it's shining black lacquer and the chrome hardware, but both the bridge and the neck were not adjusted when I got it, so I had to do that myself. The fretboard has a scratch in the 18th fret, but it isn't very bad.

The HBL400BK is produced in Korea for Thomann. It's a classical Les Paul copy. It has 22 frets and a rosewood fretboard. The neck is made of maple and it's screwed. The guitar has a massive alder body with a rounded top. There are two humbuckers (no-name products) and 2 tone and 2 volume controls. It has a 3-way toggle switch.

gingang
    Just bought one myself. It's my first electric guitar and I love it. Sounds great, feels great and looks the part. Not bad for the money.