HBMS620 review by Harley Benton

Harley Benton: HBMS620

Purchased from: Thomanns.de

I play mainly metal and hard rock but will also play lynrd skynrd style stuff. This guitar is very good for these styles but even better at the metal. I don't use any pedals but I do use a Line 6 Spider IV 75 watt amp and sometimes my smaller Line 6 Spider III 15 watt. It sound really great through both of them. The basswood has a nice warm tone to which is why it can cope with clean settings and distorted ones.

Take note that all the ratings are relative to the price because a 4ooo Gibson Les Paul will significantly better. The ratings are vaule for money ratings. I have three guitars: this, a Tokai Les Paul, and a Washburn X10. My les paul is the best but this guitar thrashes the Washburn by miles. Also the Les Paul cost 4oo, this 112 and the Washburn 1oo. However if these guitars were to be sold according to the others it would cost around about 3oo - 350. My point proven when I took it into my guitar lesson my teacher's jaw literaly droped when I told him the price. If this guitar was to be stolen I would first spend the next ten years crying then get one million new Harley Bentons.

I haven't had the guitar long enough to really say much about the reliability. It hasn't yet fell of it's strap or needed anything doing to it. I am currently considering weather to take this in to paly in esembly in a weeks time or to use my more expensive les paul. The advantage on taking in the Harley Benton is the Floyd Rose but if it goes out of tune or losses a string I'll be stuck.

The guitar wasn't set up brilliantly in the factory. The action was good and everything but it was terribly out of tune and being a Floyd Rose it is very reluctant to go back in tune however after a while it gave in and is now in tune. Also the wammy bar had quite a confusing way to be set up involving oening up the back of the guitar and screwing parts into place.

This very pretty super Strat guitar comes with a licensed Floyd Rose and a wizard II stlyed Neck. I don't know what year it was made in but I do Know that it was made in China. The neck has 24 frets and is very thin. The only difference between this neck and the wizard II neck is that it isn't flat - insted it is just really thin. The neck is made out of maple and rosewood. The body is made from basswood and has a layer of maple on the top so that the transparent finish looks very, very nice. The licensed Floyd Rose is quite hard to use but that is the same with most floyd roses. As is custom with floyd roses it has double locking tuners and came with three allan keys. Also included was a strap and lead.

rv_phoenix
    whencowsfart101 wrote: andrewpledger wrote: The neck is very fast, like a wizard but without the flat back. With one fret re-leveled I got the action very low. Awesome for shred. Would you recommend this guitar, then, say against an Ibanez RG?
    You gotta be kidding: an Ibanez RG is a semi-pro to pro instrument, which can be fully used in professional conditions like gigs and studio recordings. This HB is just a funny piece of firewood. The FR bridge is licensed, but they've bought the license of the first generation of FR bridges, that one made in the eighties, big as an onion and as user-friendly as a skunk. Pickups are Chinese stock mass-products with no particular qualities (and a lot of hum), tuning pegs are really bad, and setting the locking nut and the bridge after replacing strings is a whole mess. Btw, the 'licensed' FR breaks strings like spaghettis. Someone has mentioned Yamaha Pacifica too. Even the poor Pacifica 012 is light-years ahead of this, at least in terms of sound, playability and tuning stability.
    MaggaraMarine
    curly guitarist wrote: how come a floyd rose will cost 250 but a class guitar with a floyd rose is 130
    + 1
    Amitio wrote: This only has a licenced floyd rose which is cheaper to manufacturer than the orignal floyd rose
    The LFR must cost more than 130$ so I would never buy this guitar.
    eduardo.0012
    Excelente escolha para uma guitarra de baixo custo! Tenho uma e bastou trocar-lhe os humbuckers para se tornar um fantstico instrumento... No se deixem influenciar pelos preconceitos... testem, usem e comparem com base na experincia vivida, OK?