HBS200 review by Harley Benton

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Harley Benton: HBS200

Price paid: € 120

Purchased from: Thomann

I mostly play punk, indie and some country. The guitar not really suits punk or indie, but sound arite with country. I'm using Marshall Jackhammer and Harley Benton practice amp with it. The guitar (and amp)seems to be pretty noisy. Sound is not reach, and gets mixed up. I use 0.12gauge strings, and it has good kind-a bassy sound. It's nearly impossible to make pitch-in (I believe due to crappy pickups).

I'm playing for 1,5 yrs now. It`s not good guitar for my music style, but its my first one, and I have learned to play better with it anyway. If it get stolen or lost I wont but same one, I'd rather save some money and buy Epiphone or ESP ltd. Id say the guitar is good for begginers who love rock and country music. I compared it to Epiphone Les Paul Special II, and my HB has a little better finish and hardware, a bit better sound. I wish this guitar has more HOT pickups, but theres a few euro more expensive SG's on Thomann, and I say you better to buy one of those, if you want an a cheap SG type guitar.

I wont take this guitar for gig due to the poor sound. Hardware seemed to be arite but like i said, the 4th tuning peg is hard to turn and after a year of using bottom strap button fell off. Finish is easy to scratch, and put dents on it.

When I got the guitar it was set up arite, I just had to adjust the pickups. The rod was set up perfect, frets were pressed ok, hardware was clean, but the 4th string tuning peg is getting stuck and hard to turn from the beggining. Finish was good.

The guitar was made in China and I have no idea when it was made.The body is SG type and has black finish. It has 2 noname passive humbuckers, 3-way toggle switch, 1x volume & 1x tone control, bolt-on neck with rosewood fretboard and 22 frets. Bridge is tune-o-matic type. Tuners are non locking. I got the set with harley-benton 20w amp, gigbag, tuner, strap, few alien keys and cables for around 120 euro.

sstony
    Its a beginner guitar, what do you expect from a guitar that cost 120 euros. You get what you pay for.
    rv_phoenix
    This is arguably one of the poorest copies of a Gibson SG. It has nothing in common with the original, except for the shape. But shape isn't important in guitar playing. Sound is. This one sounds and plays like crap.