HBS580 review by Harley Benton

Harley Benton: HBS580

Purchased from: Thomann

This guitar is designed to handle anything you throw at it and is solidly built, because of this it has a real meaty tone perfect for punk, blues or metal. Not ideal for dropped tunings as strings rattle excessively but in standard tuning there is little problem.

This guitar is definitely a beginners/intermediate guitar but is extremely good for the money! If this was stolen I would buy a new one but if I broke it I would move up to a Squier. Wish it had a whammy bar though.

The hardware is solid and well designed to stand live and home use. This guitar has been dropped a couple of times and has survived every encounter with the floor. One slight criticism is the strap buttons can be dodgy and the strap has a tendency to fly off if the guitar is slung too low (not handy for punk). The finish is four layers thick and will never wear down.

The guitar as I recieved it was given a fairly basic factory setup but this did a solid job and withstood my hectic playing style. Pickups as always are a personal thing to how high you want them and they were slightly too low for me but easily adjusted with a phillips. No flaws and believe it or not the guitar came better finished than many Gibsons I have seen.

Featuring two humbuckers, one three way selector Switch and 2 volume and tone knobs this is as close to a real Gibson SG as you'll get for the money. A Tune-O-Matic bridge and standard chrome tuners complete the classic look. The rosewood fingerboard and mother of pearl inlays provide instant coolness for little money.

Overdosed
    Beautiful guitar, good sound for the price but the pickup start do feedback when I put my hand close to play palm muting. I play it in drop-C, bands like devildriver, hatesphere and between the buried and me. I had a jackson with seymour duncan humbuckers and the only thing I dont like about this pickups is that they don't give you much "power" when palm muting, but overall they have a good sound. I'm very happy with my purchase.
    whencowsfart101
    An SG with a bolt on neck? For the same price you could buy a Vintage SG with mahogany body, mahogany set neck and plus it looks more like the original SG.
    rv_phoenix
    Not to mention the sound of the two Wilkinson PAFs that come with the Vintage: wonderful pickups, as good as the original Gibsons, and without the microphony of the original PAFs (because of better wax-potting). HB's pickups sound like pure, genuine crap.